AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing my basement and kicking around 2 ideas for layouts. Originally, I only had one preferred layout, in which I have a TV on a wall and a motorized projector screen mounted in front of the TV, which would drop down for use.

Something like this basically:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19734717

See attached for the proposed option A layout of the basement. Also, attached is the proposed speaker layout for option A.

BobL shook things up at the thread below with another layout or option B:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1350978

See attached for the full layout for option B. Basically, BobL's suggestion would actually fit perfectly with the way we plan to have our seating layout. We have a 2-piece sofa set that we used to keep together in an "L" shape. Because of the 2 poles in the dead center of the basement, we have to separate the 2 pieces, which is not a big deal. But I realized that the sofa piece that is perpendicular to the projector screen would be facing a wall where we could have the TV.

Pros and Cons for option A:

Pros are that one speaker set can be used for both the TV and projector. One central place for everything.

Cons are that I have to get a motorized screen which is more expensive, can break, I am looking for a $300-$600 screen, so I will probably end up with waves and all kinds of other great stuff, etc etc

Pros and Cons for option B:

Pros are that I can have a fixed frame screen so no worries about motors breaking, waves forming in the screen, etc

Cons are that I don't think I can use the same in-wall speakers (or even the same in-ceiling speakers) for the TV and projector. Speakers would be truly dedicated to the projector use. Maybe I would have to install separate in-wall and in-ceiling speakers (not cost-effective and possibly distracting) or just go with a cheap HTIB (I have a Sony HT-SS370 already that I could use)

So what would your vote be? Option A or B? Any ideas on how to resolve some of the cons for either of the options?

I need to make this decision today.

Edit:

Forgot to mention that below the stairs (on the other side or inside of the TV wall) would be an A/V closet to "hide" my bluray player, receiver, etc

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Option B would have a big reflective surface of your TV on the left wall when watching projector. And the only way to treat that wall would be portable panels.

Question (which I hope doesn't intrude too much since it's more personal and about lifestyle): why have a TV downstairs if you have the projector?

We have a plasma on the main floor in the open concept living room for casual watching.

We go to the basement theater every night for "ok are you ready to watch XYZ show/movie downstairs?" for the more serious viewing with 7.1 etc.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron /forum/post/20805017

Option B would have a big reflective surface of your TV on the left wall when watching projector. And the only way to treat that wall would be portable panels.

Question (which I hope doesn't intrude too much since it's more personal and about lifestyle): why have a TV downstairs if you have the projector?

We have a plasma on the main floor in the open concept living room for casual watching.

We go to the basement theater every night for "ok are you ready to watch XYZ show/movie downstairs?" for the more serious viewing with 7.1 etc.

I already went with option B.

The idea is that the TV and projector will be used one at a time (not at the same time), so I don't expect reflection from 1 to the other.

And the reason why I have both is because we initially decided to do this project so that the kids have a place to go. So we started with the TV, but then I realized that it would be great to have a projector. If my kids were older, they could use the projector. But right now they are way too young to use it (they don't turn things off so my bulb would be burned out in no time, and god only knows how they would break the projector)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.