AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only know of Samsung 650 and 750 series LCDs that allow to play certain kinds of computer video files (avi, mpeg4) off a USB storage device plugged into the LCD (there is a thread at AVS on that).

Do you guys know of any other LCDs that can do that (I am not looking to play HD files, but for example an 720 x 576 avi file). I am looking for a minimum 40" LCD with that capability.

Thanks

·
Registered
922 Posts
You can get certain DVD players that can decode video files outputed to component so you needn't get a TV with that function built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek /forum/post/15484026

I only know of Samsung 650 and 750 series LCDs that allow to play certain kinds of computer video files (avi, mpeg4) off a USB storage device plugged into the LCD (there is a thread at AVS on that).

Do you guys know of any other LCDs that can do that (I am not looking to play HD files, but for example an 720 x 576 avi file). I am looking for a minimum 40" LCD with that capability.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturation /forum/post/15484879

You can get certain DVD players that can decode video files outputed to component so you needn't get a TV with that function built in.

saturation - you are correct, but for a specific reason I do not want to connect the DVD player to this display.

If I could just stick a USB storage device into the side of the display and play a video off it - that would be ideal.

So I suppose Samsung 750 and 850 are the only ones that will do it - are there any other out LCDs out there with this capability?

·
Registered
922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek /forum/post/15485050

saturation - you are correct, but for a specific reason I do not want to connect the DVD player to this display.

If I could just stick a USB storage device into the side of the display and play a video off it - that would be ideal.

So I suppose Samsung 750 and 850 are the only ones that will do it - are there any other out LCDs out there with this capability?

Many other Samsungs do it too, like the 650 series, I know LG makes many models of LCD TVs with USB readers for limited ranges of data files, usually JPG and DivX.

My concern is mostly the quality of the decoding, its convenient to have a video codec built into the LCD TV, but how good is it? I frankly don't know. I tend to buy appliances that do well for what they to, TV for TV, DVD for DVD etc., to insure you get the best possible device for the intended function.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts