AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been wanted to get a new LCD TV a 46" , which one of these would you recommend.

Samsung 46" LCD HDTV (LN-T4665F)

Samsung 46" LCD HDTV (LN-T4671F)

Sony 46" Bravia XBR-Series LCD HDTV (KDL-46XBR4)

I want to get it this week because of the 3 years no interest at the local retailers, I am going to get the new Onyko 705 reciever which has HDMI 1.3a and eventully I am going to get a Blue-Ray disc player, one also that does HDMI 1.3 or 1.3a.

I want to hook up everything HDMI, I will get my broadcast via Satellite, and which tv would you recommend, is there any problems hooking up everything HDMI, what do you like about this TV and what do you not like, also how is the glare off the screen in a somewhat bright room, thanks jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been doing some research over the last couple of weeks and finally decided on the 52XBR4 from jr.com who have an awesome deal going on. Basically, here is a quick list of the pros and cons I've found with the Samsung and XBR4

Samsung **71

Pros

Deep blacks

120 Hz refresh

Awesome picture quality

They update their firmware to fix issues where sony hasn't yet

Cons

Glossy Screen

People say the 120 Hz still doesn't do a proper 5:5 pulldown on 24p sources. Sony is apparently smoother with 24p sources (like blu-ray)

Stutter using the AMP on high

TBE when AMP on. Rarely happens when AMP on low apparently

Sony XBR4

Pros

120 Hz refresh

Awesome picture quality

proper 5:5 pulldown with 24p sources (like blu-ray)

For my eyes (very subjective) picture was sharper than 5271

Cons

Smear/Ghosting on games and some movies with fast motion

Varying degrees of clouding problems with the set

Sony hasn't updated freeware, though there is rumors of one in Feb to fix the clouds and backlight issue. Hopefully smearing issue will be fixed

There might be a few more that I'm forgetting, but these are the main ones that went into my decision. The high gloss screen for the Samsung was why I finally decided on the XBR4. If the price wasn't within a couple hundred $ of each other, I would have probably picked the samsung.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I purchased the 52" XBR4 back in August shortly after it came out. My decision was based on the very same reasoning. I compared the two side by side with my eyes. I have a rather large bay window directly behind my viewing area so glossy screen was undesirable. I have been thoroughly satisfied with my XBR4 for both HD and SD sources. Almost 6 months and I'm still amazed every time I sit down and watch it. I have no complaints. I haven't visited this forum for a while because I've been too busy enjoying my TV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts