AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by one salesman that after the halflife of the bulbs happens, they can be repaced an I'd have virtually a new TV with another 60K hours. Unfortunately, I've looked at so many, I can't remember which one it was but was probably a Sony 46" or the Samsung 4695D. Was he just blowing smoke up my keista?

·
Registered
6 Posts
let's say your LCD TV is on 8 hours a day... every day...

it would take 20 years to use up the 60K hours lifetime at that rate...

can you honestly say that you'll even want to keep your "antique" LCD display 20 years from now? let alone find parts for it (bulbs) or anyone who will work on it?

Mark

·
Super Moderator
21,736 Posts
There are some commercial LCD's with replaceable backlights: Sharp makes one: these are designed for signage or industrial displays

Consumer LCD replaceable backlights? never heard of one: if a backlight needs to be replaced, you would have to replace all of them to ensure even backlighting

The life of a CCFL backlight is so long that it is rarely a factor:

if it had to be done, best to let a pro do it (it is a big job)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Amen to that...

I spent 9 years at the Sharp OEM group and we had ZERO, NADA, ZIP, NONE displays to EVER be sent back because of old and tired CCFLs (and we sold millions of displays over that time).

However, they are easily soldered in, or the backlight assembly comes off the back of the display. Let the pros do it but in 10 years, the corner "TV repairman" will be doing the work...if it is ever necessary.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess that I was getting a little nervous (this is my first HDTV) when I just read in another thread that 6-8 hrs/day may give you 30K hrs and that might be it in about 3-4 yrs and time for a new one. That's a lot of $$ for me (retired school tchr) to spend for 3-4 yrs of tv viewing.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capecodhack /forum/post/0

I guess that I was getting a little nervous (this is my first HDTV) when I just read in another thread that 6-8 hrs/day may give you 30K hrs and that might be it in about 3-4 yrs and time for a new one.

That other thread needs to go back to elementary school. 8 hrs/day x 365 days/year x 4 years = 11,680 hours. At this watching rate you don't hit 30K for 10 years.

BTW, 8 hours/day 365 days/year is quite a lot of TV... - DR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.