AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting the Sharp Aquos 52" LC52D62U television and I'm wondering if it will allow me to attach a computer by using a DVI->HDMI cable.

The reason that I ask is because I've heard/read that some televisions require HDCP over HDMI to display anything. Is this the case here? How common is this?

I couldn't find anything definitive, and the owner's thread has > 6000 posts in it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telek /forum/post/0

The reason that I ask is because I've heard/read that some televisions require HDCP over HDMI to display anything. Is this the case here? How common is this?

HDCP requirement is controlled by the source, not the sink.

The display never forces HDCP.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz /forum/post/0

Or really?? So I try and plug my STB into my computer monitor which has a non HDCP rated DVI input, then it will work?

NO it will NOT.

That's not what they're saying. Based on what they said you would have a problem because it's the SOURCE that is requiring the HDCP which your computer monitor doesn't support... But in no case would the display REQUIRE HDCP over HDMI.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, it appears that I was misstaken.

It does make perfect sense that the display would not require HDCP, rather the player will only output content if the display unit supports HDCP so that it cannot be copied.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.