AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which LCOS HDTV is best for Xbox and Next Gen. XBOX 360. SONY or JVC?

I have been patiently waiting for the 1080p's for over a year and a half now! My question is which upcoming LCOS 1080p Hdtv is best for the current XBOX and the next generation XBOX 360. I am a video game junky and spend countless hours playing XBOX LIVE. I have narrowed my choice down to the JVC 70FH96 HD-ILA and the Sony 60" SXRD. I would like to know if any of these brands tend to have the lag problems of the Samsung's, and which will display the full HD capabilities the Xbox is capable of putting out. THX in advance!!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
That's hard to say, especially since so few people have seen the Xbox 360 and even fewer have seen the JVC 1080p or the prototype SXRD sets. I have seen all except for the new SXRD sets (so I am basing my SXRD opinion on what I have seen in the Qualia 006).

You really can't go wrong with either of them. I liked the Qualia better than the JVC 1080p HD-ILA, but the JVC is a great set. I would wait until they appear (which should be before the Xbox 360 and long before the PS3), and balance which one you prefer in PQ with the price difference between the two. The Xbox 360 will output 1080i, which both sets will deinterlace to 1080p. In my opinion, either of those sets will do a fantastic job. As far as lag goes, if you route the sound through a decent AVR, you shouldn't have unfixable lag problems on a Samsung or any other set. If you're going to spend $5000 or more on a set, you should invest in a decent sound system as well--hifi sound and hifi video go hand in hand. If you ask me (and you didn't), you can't have a good home theater if you limit the sound output to the television speakers.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well, considering neither of these sets are in stores yet, I can't give you a good answer.

If you're concerned about XBOX 360, you may not have to worry too much. The lag with current consoles has do with ones that output 480i. The time it takes to deinterlace and upscale the image is what causes the lag. Since XBOX 360 will output at a minimum of 720p, lag should be minimal because the TV has less work do to with the signal.

Technically, you would probably have the least amount of lag with a 720p television since no conversion has to be done on the XBOX 360 signals at all.

That being said, someone more familiar with the XBOX 360 may know if some games will output to 1080i. If so, I believe a 1080p set would be the best bet in terms of lag for those particular games.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetsujinWave
....The Xbox 360 will output 1080i, which both sets will deinterlace to 1080p. In my opinion, either of those sets will do a fantastic job. As far as lag goes, if you route the sound through a decent AVR, you shouldn't have unfixable lag problems on a Samsung or any other set. If you're going to spend $5000 or more on a set, you should invest in a decent sound system as well--hifi sound and hifi video go hand in hand. If you ask me (and you didn't), you can't have a good home theater if you limit the sound output to the television speakers.
Thx for the response....Actually I have a very nice sound system....and this TV purchase will be the final piece to my home theater... I have the Onkyo TX NR1000 with a 7.1 set up from Aperion Audio.....At one point I was considering the Samsungs....but there is something about moving mirrors and wobulating chips that just does not sit well with me....dont get me wrong I have seen the sammy's and their colors are amazing along with good blacks...But I just dont feel comfortable with them....However, I have owned both JVC and Sony and they have never dissapointed me with their products. As a matter of fact I still have a 27" JVC CRT in my bedroom that is 17 years old and still going strong. I just wanted to be sure that when making a decision on either of these 2 sets...that I would get the best possible tv...but your right no one has seen them yet....I guess I will have to wait the 2 months give or take a month, that it will take for their releases. But thx for the response!

P.S. I am planning on spending between $6,000 - $7000 on this purchase!

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetsujinWave
As far as lag goes, if you route the sound through a decent AVR, you shouldn't have unfixable lag problems on a Samsung or any other set. If you're going to spend $5000 or more on a set, you should invest in a decent sound system as well--hifi sound and hifi video go hand in hand.
> The audio delay would work for DVDs, but it wouldn't fix the lag problem with video games. The only thing the audio delay would do would be to sync the audio to match the video delay. Fighting games and timing based games would still be unplayable.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue
> The audio delay would work for DVDs, but it wouldn't fix the lag problem with video games. The only thing the audio delay would do would be to sync the audio to match the video delay. Fighting games and timing based games would still be unplayable.
But does the video delay affect LCOS base HDTV's? As far as I am aware it only affects Dlp based HDTV's! Does anyone know why this affects DLP's?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Stop using the green text. Many of us use AVS White and it's invisible.

I agree its crazy to recommend TVs that are not yet shipping for a game console that is not yet shipping.

Wait a few months and you'll have a lot of opinions.

A guess? The Sony will be better.

That's a guess based on what I know about both technologies. But it's not a statement of opinion until I see the TVs.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Wow Rogo--I didn't know that you could even read invisible green writing! You can't see through the internet to my list of most visited web sites can you?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by menexxus
Which LCOS HDTV is best for Xbox and Next Gen. XBOX 360. SONY or JVC?

I have been patiently waiting for the 1080p's for over a year and a half now! My question is which upcoming LCOS 1080p Hdtv is best for the current XBOX and the next generation XBOX 360. I am a video game junky and spend countless hours playing XBOX LIVE. I have narrowed my choice down to the JVC 70FH96 HD-ILA and the Sony 60" SXRD. I would like to know if any of these brands tend to have the lag problems of the Samsung's, and which will display the full HD capabilities the Xbox is capable of putting out. THX in advance!!!!
Chances are you can't go wrong with either, but no one can give you an intelligent opinion. They both have marvelous advance press and many feel they will be the two best microdisplays this year but they're not out yet. I saw the JVC 1080P D-ILA Demo at the CES and it was terrific, but that was a demo, not a production model. The Sony SXRD's are making their official press debut tuesday and will be out in little over a month, but will be scarce since it will be a while before Sony can produce enough to take care of the advance demand. Realistically, no one can help you with gaming or lag issues. The predecessors to both these sets have had no problems in this area, but for this amount of money, i would advise waiting a couple of months and checking them both first-hand as your only rational course of action...

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by menexxus
But does the video delay affect LCOS base HDTV's? As far as I am aware it only affects Dlp based HDTV's! Does anyone know why this affects DLP's?
> I don't know about the Sony LCOS or the new JVC sets. I have last year's JVC LCOS and there is no delay with 480i sources.

It's not a problem that only affects DLPs. It appears most often on this forum because a lot of people have Samsung DLPs. The delay is caused by the video processing the set does to 480i feeds.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I think there may be some confusion here. The video game lag had nothing to do with upscaling or 480i sources (otherwise there would be a lag with SD signals), the issues were with a particular Samsung model having video game specific lag. There was a huge discussion about this on another forum and the owners of the lag sets tried sending 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i and none of those formats solved the problem. The lag problem is no longer an issue with the new model samsung dlp's as I've heard, and no other sets have had the lag issues as of late. I am a huge video game junkie menexxus so I would focus more on connectivity. I made sure my set would be able to handle more of the newer game consoles coming. I have 2 hdmi slots that will be reserved for the XBOX 360 and PS3. I don't know what I will do about the new Nintendo system. I hope you can play games in HD through the component connections. I would see which set has the most connections because I'm pretty sureboth the Sony and the JVC look just about the same with maybe slight differences.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.