AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pioneer CLD-3080 which bit the dust, and I previously h ad a CLD-3070 that I sold to a friend when I got the CLD-3080.

Now I'm in the market for a used LD player. I've been watching the various ones come up on Ebay. Which would be the ideal model to get (CLD-3070, 3080, 3090 or something else) and how much should I be willing to pay?

I'd like to keep this in the "couple hundred" dollar range or less, so the elite models are probably out of consideration.

Also, I was thinking about one of the DVD/LD models like the DVL-919 or DVL-91, but I already have a DVD player, so not much advantage to those except that I'd get AC-3 output of my LD's, not a big issue.

So basically, which is the "best" LD only player I should try to find? Thanks.

- Bob

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi Bob,

If you still want better picture quality out of those good old LDs, PLEASE, please forget ANY model in the US market. Even the "greatest" Elite CLD-99 looks like crap when compare to some REAL players released AFTER the CLD-99 only available in the Japanese market. Try to import one.

Among these Japanese models, my recommendation goes to:

HLD-X9: BEST overall quality

LD-S9: almost equal to the X9 in EVERYWAY in LD playback

CLD-R7G: over 90% performance of the 2 above with a cheap price tag!

Read my LD players review in the other thread.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Just to be sure your aware that the DVL-919 and DVL-91 STILL require a RF Demodulator like all other LD players to get DD 5.1 from LD's! Only the DVD's played through the DVL-919 or DVL-91 will pass the AC-3 bitstream... the LD do not!

Also the LD's will only ouput from the S-Video or Composite NOT the Component video outputs. Only the DVD's output the Component video output!

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Frank,

I guess a lot depends on a couple of things:

1) What type of display do you have? If you have a tube TV (27"-36") the difference in display quality will not be as obvious as compared to a large display (e.g. 50-60" rear projection TV).

2) How many LD's do you have? Do you use the machine quite a bit, or seldom?

3) Do you care about AC-3 compatibility? Even though most LD's were not AC-3 capable, you may still want to have this capability even if it's just for a handful of discs. Although, it is true that you will more than likely need an external RF-demodulator (a few receivers and pre-amps have built-in RF-demodulators).

I agree with Li On that the import machines give you better performance, but they are several hundred dollars (or thousands for the HLD-X9) plus the hassle to import. Only worth it for the most diehard LD fans.

If you've got a smaller display and don't care about AC-3, then your options are wide open - a couple hundred bucks (at the most) and you're done.

If you want the better video quality or AC-3 compatibility, then your choices are much less. You'll have to go with a machine manufactured probably after about 1997. You can still get off for a couple of hundred bucks if you still to a lower level Pioneer/Sony/Mitsubishi/Panasonic unit, but for better picture quality you'll want to get a Pioneer CLD-704 or better (Pioneer Elite).

I have lots of LD players, from high-end Pioneer Elite CLD-97 and CLD-99, to a mid-line unit CLD-D604, to combo units DVL-707 and DVL-919. The picture quality on the high-end units are much better, and I use these units in my main HT rooms. The others I use in bedrooms just to be able to watch movies, and their performance is good for the TV sizes (27") that they are connected to.

I hope this info helps you - feel free to respond.

Ken Rivera

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Where does the CLD-R7G fit in again? Is it analogous to the CLD-99? Equal quality? Better?

·
Registered
184 Posts
The R7G was the last LD player designed by Pioneer. Its production life was short, resulting in a very narrow flow of used decks - and obviously it can't be found new anymore. Though the MSRP was less than half that of the S9, values are holding well and the average price spread on the Japanese used market is much smaller than that.

Anyway none of the X9, S9 and R7 fit into the initial post request for a $200 player, by a *huge* margin. Within that budget, it is nearly impossible to import a player from overseas (unless it is close to junk and shipped surface).

Good luck,

Nicolas

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

I have a 35" tube TV, and a couple hundred LD's. Mostly movies that I've already watched several times, but may have the desire to watch again on impulse. A handful are encoded with AC-3, but I don't even have an AC-3 capable audio setup, and probably won't in the near future, so it's not imporant.

Absolute "best" picture quality isn't important, I just want to be able to play one of my LD's if I get the itch to do so. I'm replacing a CLD-3080 that my son broke by forcing the front door/loading tray open on.

I did get a CLD-3070 on Ebay for $120. That was the budget area I was looking for, and as long as it works properly, I'll be happy.

I'm sure the Japanese import LD machines are nice, but for me, it's not worth the extra $$$ and hassle at this point for the improvement I would get out of it. I'm not going to notpick picture quality. As long as I can watch the movie without any skips or picture sync problems, I'm happy at this point.

(10 years ago, I would have sprung for the very best at any cost, but when you have a young family, your priorities tend to change)

- Bob

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Bob, I think you should of waited on a newer model. If the 3070 doesn't work out try for newer. CLD's 702, 703, 704, 79, 95, might come in for relatively modest prices. CLD's 604, 505, 406, 606, and 59 don't have as good a pic as the first group, but they're all models from 1995 thru 1998. Good luck with the 3070!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.