AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a subscriber to PC, Yahoo internet life, Computer Shopper, Home Theatre, Sounds and Visions magazines etc. for some time now. What magazine deals with Home Theatre Personal Computers.

I need some more knowledge in the connection and resolution departments. Please type in URL for me to get subscribed. None of the above have any computer to HDTV data. I can't go to a day or night school, not because of money, let's say a physical impairment and leave it like that.

I will pay for information to get my HTPC together, rather than get hot watching my threads go down, while my views of threads skyrocket. I put a tread on yesterday 1 responded and over 100 just viewed and on to the next. I have received my okay to be on line a lot more than when I had my pneumonia. If most want to view than their is only someone elses troubles on the forum also. Thank you for your attention and hope you will respond with magazine that will educate me to what I need to know! I may be old but I can learn

and will learn how to do it. Someone has what I need, and if it takes reading I have plenty of tme to read.:)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Stereophile Guide to Home Theater has a monthly column on HTPC, usually about 2-3 pages. A few months back they had a long article on getting started. The Perfect Vision has articles about HTPC occasionally. I am not aware of any magazine dedicated to it.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jschefdog thanks to you I am now a subscriber, their 1-800-666-6471

is a free call. $14.97 they will mail you 2 free issues if you like it they will give you an additional 8 issues or 10 for the year. Any other AVS forum member interested, I called them at aproximately 9 P.M. EST.:)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hob, I hate to state the obvious but you're reading the most informative source of information with regard to HTPC's right now. There is a wealth of information floating around, try here for starters.

I already subscribe to SGHT and to be honest most of their info comes from here anyway.

Ian

·
Registered
276 Posts
Stereophile Guide to Home Theater is a good starter, but you are indeed better of staying here. No disrespect to Pat, but he is also a visitor for sure. Besides, the AVS is updated all the time. Magazines tend to have a two month turn around. Not exactly speedy if you need to find a patch for a DVD player or the latest version of Dscaler.

c

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read the piece from Mark Rejkon it would be informative if I knew what he was talking about. I printed it, But what I need to know is what I need in parts to hire a professional to put this system together, No I am not lazy, but I am dsabled I can't lift the motherboard into position, I can't pull the HDTV away from the wall, I stated I live in a reality world.

I wish you could understand I physically need someone to set it up for me, someone that is 'able' to stand and walk and put conections together. Sure it will cost some money. but It is what I need to do.

A lot of people think 'we' are nearly broke, but that is far from the truth.

What we get other than what we pay for household expenses piles up. Unless we can spend it through buying things via the internet.

I had to be taught on a one on one basis how to drive a Tractor Trailer not in a class of 60. Once I learned I practised and got to be really good. When I had my accident 16 years ago, I was making $1100

a week, pretty good wages for 16 years ago

but it would have been zilch had I not taken the one on one training I paid for.

To make money you have to have the money to spend that's the position I am in I have saved quite a lot more than you think the average cripple has. Unless I know exactly what to order, and have a professional to put it together the $6,000 which doesn't cover the HDTV I have already purchased I put aside for this project, will not be spent at all.

I will be stuck on webtv forever, believe me Ian I have a lot more than that to put a HTPC together for the HDTV RCA F38310 is already bought and paid for. My $725 InlineInc 4 to 1 component switcher has been bought paid for. 5 of bettercables silver serpent cables have been bought and paid for I know I need a transcoder I figure Key Digital, since I am hearing more about that brand than Audio Authorty and 'not' to get a RCA for it was meant to be with the set top box, mine of course is already integrated into the set when I bought it.

Doesn't anyone have the time to compile a list including powerstrip for me to buy to get this computer ready for when the 478 sockets are ready all I have to do then is buy the computer, let the professional install it. I have books on how to work it

but their are no books to read on How to put a HTPC together, If there were I would buy one today, I am not going to blow another computer like I did in 1999. At that time I couldn't learn how to even put it together to use the 800 MHz. Pentium III, windows 98 2nd ediion, 128MB of SDRAM, 20 GB hard drive $2000 computer including UPS shipping. I ended up giving it to my sister for a christmas present.

Ian Do you understand the picture more clearly now, I hate bring it up that I am disabled, but in this case for you to completely understand why I can't do these things on my own I did. Please help me get off of webtv, If I don't have modern up to date help in ordering 2001/2002 products. I simply will not have the confidence to go the route. I'll Just buy another $6000 in DVDs. I already own 343. 343 times $25 =$8785 plus 2 Sony Changers at $599 a piece all above is paid for.

Reading Marks year 2000 for refresh rates was interesting but it's now the end of year 2001. I need up to date information on products powerstrip brands for me to order and I need to hire a professional to install the system I know I have said this before but this what I need soon as Wayne said the Intel 478 upgradable sockets should be out by the first of the year or soon after. I have listened I have not jumped the gun. I will order a upgradable

computer for I do not want to go through all of this again for as many years as I can upgrade that system I buy.

Ian I am in the dark, unless I have the confidence you all instilled in me to have bought the wonderful product that I couldn't get without your help and that was the RCA F38310 fully integrated with digital DTC-100 already built in for $2999 including shipping and installation by the professional dealership who our family has dealt with since 1956 when we moved 40 miles for my dad to continuue to work for Pennsylvania Power & Light Company as the older plant 50 miles away was demolished.

There is no dealer in the greater Allentown Area that will do a HTPC I used up the yellow pages trying and the AVS store which has all outdated computers te highest being a 1.4 with non upgradeable sockets. I think that says it all. TIA for Ian or anyone that's helps me put togeter a HTPC on my F38310 HDTV.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hob,

You have a PM.

--Jerome

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeriome yes I have a PM Classic Mat-965.

Are we down to less than one sentences for a response to another AVS member asking for help? What did you hope to accomplish by saying what model of msntv I own? It sure didn't help me one bit in trying to put a HTPC on.

I was on another topic when I seen the red mail light go on I finished my topic, then came right here to find your couple of words response. May I say Jerome that I am disappointed after typing a lengthy response to exactly what I need. I get your hardly 6 words no URL, and no leads.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hob,

PM stands for Private Message. Please check your private messages on AVS.

--Jerome

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hob, I see where you're coming from. Since you're not going to jump the gun you have a few months to do plenty of research on the forum.

It would be pointless to recommend any components at this stage since most will be obsolete relatively speaking by the time you're ready to buy. You would have noticed the frenetic activity over the yet to be released Software DVD players already, almost every week a new product comes under the magnifying glass here and heaven help it if its found wanting.

I'm not familiar with HDTV since I'm in Europe, but there are plenty of people on this forum who are.

My advice stands - hangout a while on the HTPC board and by the time you're ready to buy you'll be able to do so as an informed consumer.

Ian

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ian if you could just tell me the basics beside what I listed. I have tons of info on getting the computer signal over to the HDTV. Nothing is what I have to push what button or hit what key to get a readable resolution from a computer on TV screen. That in itself is stopping me cold. I plan to order my pre-built computer off of Dell, I need their 24/7 support. If I can't get the computer running all of what is in AVS forum or archives wll not be seen until the computer image fits the F38310's screen and is readable. Sound doesn't matter at first for I used webtv silently with no audio connections ever since 1996.

In fact I have noise cancelling shooting headphones from cabella on right now so I can concentrate on what I am doing. I couldn't hear the doorbell or telephone etc at all. I already got my mail and UPS package and vistor. No one will visit me after the above have rang my telephone, except for mail no one can get in without someone letting them in type of Electronic Security in my building. I have a orange

strobe light from radio shack should my telephone ring, located on top of HDTV I'm watching words form on, to alert me to a telephone call.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Greetings, Hob...

Been reading your posts for a while now, but many others have responded with more/better information than I could.

Jerome (jsaliga) has sent you a Private Message (PM). You may view that message by hitting the Members Area pulldown at the top of this page. On the pulldown, select Private Messages. Here, you can see the private messages that any of the members might have sent you (jsaliga's included!).

I have read a few posts by Jerome, and about Jerome. I suspect that he is going to offer you all of the things that you would want/need in a pre-built HTPC, at a very reasonable price. Robert Wood, a long time AVS member who posts quite often in the projector forums, wrote a glowing testamonial about Jerome's work.

I can understand your frustrations with trying to get your HTPC off the ground (figuratively and literally!), but a number of excellent posters have tried to provide you with information and encouragement. I suspect that Jerome has an excellent solution to your problem.

I hope that you are able to get your HTPC setup. From what I've read in your earlier posts, you've got an excellent video and audio setup, and I'm sure that a turnkey HTPC would provide the final piece to a beautifully constructed puzzle.

Please, check your private messages :) :) !

JohnW

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
JohnW,

Thanks for the support. I don't post in this forum as much as I used to, for personal reasons. Most of my AVS time is spent in the projector and DVD/LD forums these days. But I do look in here from time to time just to see what's going on.

It is difficult to come up with a solution when one does not understand the problem. It is still not clear to me what the issue is so, as you have surmised, I extended an invitation to Hob to give me a call so we could chat about his needs. It seemed to me that a real-time dialog would be more efficient in localizing Hobs needs and then from there some solutions could be considered.

At first I thought all he needed was a HTPC. But now I am not so sure. (Perhaps I am getting old. :) )

Hob,

The invitation is still open. But my cell phone is recharging for the time being. If you want to talk reply to the private message I sent to you with your number or if you prefer reply and ask for my home number and I will provide it.

--Jerome

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In the building I live at there are no phones with long distance lines connected in any of the 114 apartments. I couldn't make a long distance call unless I got out of this Grandview of the forest. I only get out 4-6 days a year, I hope this answers your question why I couldn't phone you. I need to buy it off some company that has 24/7 support on a 1-800 free call. If by chance I do get the image on the screen I may not know by the time that I buy it how to use t to even get the AVS forum. I need support from understanding representatives. If I had you or any one else build it I would not be able to get the support I need.

No Jerome your not getting old you just didn't know the circumstances I am in. I have been disabled for 16 years, I don't even know some streets that were added or housing developments that have sprung up in the nearby town, that I have lived in since 1956. I need to know what order off of Dell when the 478 sockets are available

which will be around the first of the year

I thought I had every thing, Transcoder, 4 to 1 component switcher by inline Inc. cables by better cables, but I don't know how to properly put the pieces together and get the image to fit my screen I am physically unable to do it. I need to hire someone that will put it together, but I need to have what to order so that the professional will be able to do his job. I am not including women because of the weight of the TV and stand 220 the HDTV is 200 pounds by itself.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hob,

I was aware of your disability, but not of your 24/7 support requirement--which in retrospect makes sense. That alone will pretty much leave you with the likes of Dell, IBM, Compaq, and other vendors.

Let's see if we can work around the phone situtation. If you want to send me a private message with your phone number I would be happy to give you a call.

Or we can continue to work here online even though it might be less efficient.

This is what I know so far from your other posts in this thread:

1. You have a RCA F38310 16:9 Direct View HDTV with an Integrated DTC-100.

2. Inline 4 to 1 component switcher. But I don't know what specific model you have.

3. Key Digital Tanscoder (I assume you have the KD-VTCA1)

4. I know you have some interconnects from Better Cables.

Here is what I do not know:

1. I have no idea what exactly you want to do with the computer.

Here is a list of questions:

1. Do you want to connect it to the TV to use it only as a computer monitor?

2. Do you have other video sources such as a standalone DVD player that you plan to connect to the switcher.

3. Or do you plan to use to the computer for a home theater function (e.g. play DVDs)?

As I said earlier it is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question. You might have spelled this out in another thread somewhere but I cannot find it if you did.

I was thinking that if I could spend a little time with you on the phone then I could save both of us a lot of time typing.

--Jerome

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jerome in usercp which is open for view by anyone I have listed the equipment I own. I have a InlineInc 3504 model pass through made in USA with 4 R,G,B,S bnc terminals, I have bought and put on 15 (gold plated) bnc to phono jacks, to now have a working component switcher capable of using 4 Y-Pr-Pb output devices into the F38310 one only component input. I have 4-1 meter and 1-2 meter silver serpent component cables. 2 that are already hooked up and functioning are my 2 Sony DVD Changers CX860 (300) and CX850D (200). 1 will be for my transcoders component cable output. I will couple my vga CPU transcoder input, with a vga to vga cable from bettercables.

I plan to use the HDTV as the computer as a monitor only, I am not good at talking for I have suffered a speech impediment in my accident 16 years ago, my vocal cords have 'not' recovered. The internet allows me to convey speech without embarassing myself voice wise. Besides surfing and buying I wish to play computer games such as Flight Simulater for I used to own a Hang Glider, but I never piloted a powered fixed wing aircraft before. A non fixed wing aircraft is a helicopter.

I am online about 6 hours a day when not having pneumonia from bad bottled water.

Jerome there is no way to make a real home theatre out of a small disabled apartment,

but to me it's my Home Theatre. There is two chairs for my Sennheiser DSP-Pro Logic audio surround systems two headphones. So far no one has ever watched a movie with me, their loss. I buy almost everything I need online. I am simply 'used' to having my image on TV screen 32 inch Panasonic or F38310 in stretch the way it is now.

Can you now tell me what else to buy, to 'fit' the image on my HDTV screen, Please.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hob,

Ok. I think I can supply you with some answers--at least in part.

With respect to your computer all you need is a video card that will support custom resolutions since I would think you would want a display resolution that fills your 16:9 screen natively without having to stretch the image.

The good news here is that Dell offers systems with Nvidia GForce 2 and GForce 3 display adapters, both of which support custom resolutions.

I don't know about the Gforce 3, but the Gforce 2 in my regular desktop does not support custom resolutions using the Nvidia Detonator drivers (I am using version 6.50 and there are newer drivers).

The good news is that it does not matter. You can use Powerchute to setup a custom resolution. For $29 it is worth every penny.

Then comes the matter of what display resolution you will use. You have a 16:9 screen or 1.77:1 aspect ratio. The closest resolution to completely fill that screen would be 852 x 480 @60Hz vertical refresh or if the television supports 720P then you can go with 1280 x 720 at 60Hz vertical refresh rate. Since I don't know exactly what resolutions your TV supports I took the liberty of emailing RCA customer service and asked them this very question along with supported vertical refresh rates. The technical specs for the F38310 are unfortunately not available on the RCA website and I could not find them elsewhere. When I receive a reply I will post the information here.

So, to sum up it seems as though you have what you need to make the connections and all you need is your new Dell computer with an Nvidia GForce 2 or 3 display card and Powerchute with a display profile setup with the custom resolution that matches your display.

When I hear from RCA I will post the information in this thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by hob .
I plan to use the HDTV as the computer as a monitor only, I am not good at talking for I have suffered a speech impediment in my accident 16 years ago, my vocal cords have 'not' recovered. The internet allows me to convey speech without embarassing myself voice wise. Besides surfing and buying I wish to play computer games such as Flight Simulater for I used to own a Hang Glider, but I never piloted a powered fixed wing aircraft before. A non fixed wing aircraft is a helicopter.
Don't be embarassed by your speech. I'm usually a pretty patient person (Well, that depends on who you ask! :)). If you ever want to talk about the hobby, movies, or anything else just shoot me your number in a private message. I'd be delighted to chat for a while.

It's funny you mention flight simulators. A few years ago when I actually had some time on my hands that was my thing. I would see a game box and if it had a picture of a plane on the cover I bought it. You name it I had it. Falcon 4.0, Mig 29, Su-27 Flanker, F/A 18 by Jane's, Longbow, etc. I was into the combat flight sims in a big way. My wife used to call me a jet jockey without portfolio. But those days are long gone. I barely have enough time for movies.

Quote:
I am online about 6 hours a day when not having pneumonia from bad bottled water. Jerome there is no way to make a real home theatre out of a small disabled apartment,

but to me it's my Home Theatre. There is two chairs for my Sennheiser DSP-Pro Logic audio surround systems two headphones. So far no one has ever watched a movie with me, their loss. I buy almost everything I need online. I am simply 'used' to having my image on TV screen 32 inch Panasonic or F38310 in stretch the way it is now.
Hob, our theaters are whatever we make of them. The term itself, at least to me, does not necessarily connote some sort of sense of grandeur or require a projector, theater seats, controlled lighting, and other acoutriments. My "theater" is in a 14 x 12 foot room and about 14 months ago it began with a Mitsubishi 47" HDTV RPTV set, an A/V receiver and surround speakers. In this room is a desk with a computer on it and a loveseat. Now I have a CRT projector and an LCD projector, a 36" Sony WEGA TV. The computer desk is still there. The Mits TV is gone and a 92" wide screen hangs in its place. But it really is not a theater--or as I tell my friends it is a theater for one. Most people seeing this room think it is a bit crowded. They're right--but it serves my needs so I really don't concern myself with what someone else might think about it.

I have a lot of family in the Wilkes Barre/Scranton area and I try to get down there about once a year. If you want some company to take in a movie on my next trip I would be honored.

If there is anything you think I left out let me know.

--Jerome

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hi,

I would like to mention that it is easier to modify a Dell to be a good HTPC -- that way, you can get Dell's onsite support if this is more important than a nice-looking black box. The real trick is in carefully speccing the system properly in the first place, then subsequently installing Internet-downloaded software.

That way you have a HTPC without needing to open up your computer AND you get on-site tech support. I think this is the criteria you're looking for?

Many people will say to stay away from Dell for HTPC's, but most of these people are not aware of your specific needs. It's hard to get a HTPC with onsite technical support, but you can pull this off with DELL and a little bit of careful creativitiy.

You can later pay somebody to upgrade the DELL (such as replacing a SoundBlaster with a 24/96 sound card) later on but at least you would have a fully working HTPC using carefully selected DELL components even if the components go only 95-99% of the way. So that you get onsite support which is probably essential for your specific disability.

If there is one dealbreaker (such as not being able to choose between ATI vs Geforce) then try to find another vendor that has onsite support, such as maybe Hewlett Packard, but DELL seems to be better and more reputable when it comes to support. (At least in some corporations' experience)

Most oldtimers here will prefer to build a HTPC (like me) but after all, we don't have the mobility difficulty that you have so recommendations would be different.

I still recommend this route for you, hob!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am greatful that you told me that the only thing I needed was the chute at $29 that's a breeze. You could have told me I needed a whole lot more. The friend I had as a child last name was Boyle who lived in Mauch Chunk, PA he lived right down the block 45 + years ago.

I used to roller skate at Skateaway roller rinks. Skateaway had one in Reading, Allentown, W.B., Scranton and Bethlehem. I was a club member my membership card let me into anyone of the rinks. As a TT driver I delivered to both of the cities off of U.S. Route 80. That was before I became a teamsters union driver located at a very small town on US 84 in New York State.

Jerome if I didn't have that career ending accident 16 Years ago, at the rate I was being paid I would certainly have a pretty big one also and friends to enjoy it with. Instead of being homebound in the disabled 1% and elderly 99% mostly widowed over 80 years of age. I am the only man living on our 3rd floor part of the building in Palmer Township 7 miles west of down town drug infested Easton, PA. I have already printed your page, so when the 478 up gradable sockets come in I will know what else to order. Then after all is connected I have start at the beginning, and learn

what children already know how to do!

Thank you for responding instead of what most others do that's to view and keep on moving without ever responding. I am not worried about my puntuation or being the center of attraction in a crowd, when children say look at him he can't walk.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.