AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Screen wall will be covered with 2" thick Roxul AFB, and need material to cover it. I was hoping it wouldn't be too expensive, but covering a 13'x9' wall seems to be like 100 bucks+ with GOM 701. So which would be best (for the price):



GOM 701


vs


Stretch Velvet from Joanna's
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd768914


VS


Micro velvet black from Hancock:
http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Micro-...VVviewprod.htm


VS


microsuede from ats
http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Mi...ide--1027.html


Joanna's and ats is WAY cheaper... so I'd go with that unless it won't work well...
 

·
RETIRED theater builder
Joined
·
36,566 Posts
I doubt anyone has done a scientific analysis comparing the three. I'm happy with the Hancock and if you wait it occasionally goes on sale for 50% off on-line. You can also take a competitors coupon into their store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
Look at it this way - how much have you already put in the room to make it look and perform the way you want it to? Is $100 really that much ? If you spend $50 instead on an unknown fabric will it be worth it to you ?


You asked this same question in another thread.


JMHO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
I haven't gotten around to pricing GOM yet so my initial reaction was "Only $100?!? Awesome!"


I know that BIGmouthinDC has glowed about using the Hancock micro velvet in other threads. His theatre's crazy snazzy so I put a lot of value in his answer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I wrote the post originally I calculated it out to be over 300 bucks! Then I remembered the price is per yard, not per foot. 100 isn't bad, and I do like the way Biggy's wall looks, so might just bite the bullet and order that for my screen wall and other bass traps.

Thanks guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth /forum/post/20865565


I haven't gotten around to pricing GOM yet so my initial reaction was "Only $100?!? Awesome!"


I know that BIGmouthinDC has glowed about using the Hancock micro velvet in other threads. His theatre's crazy snazzy so I put a lot of value in his answer!

Agree, his theatre is really snazzy. It is just that is twice the price of Joannas fabric, so was hoping someone's used that and hoped it worked well. I just realized I need to get about 20 yards total, so would save me quite a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,128 Posts
It was definitely stretch velvet, but don't recall the source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20868131


If it saves you some money you should go look at the Joanne's. If you like what you see, use it.

I went to Hancock tonight to look at the micro velvet. I tried breathing through it and could feel my breath a little bit, if I had to guess I'd say a quarter the power I breath into it.


I'm going to check out Joann tomorrow and compare. Joann is 33% the price and is a lot wider too. I did like the look of the micro velvet though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
Don't forget about flammabiltiy ratings - if that's important to you. There is a reason that some of these fabrics are more expensive than others.


When I did my theater, I relied heavily on the acoustic properties of the material as well as the flammability ratings. I paid particular attention to the acoustic properties of the material that was covering any of my speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20868514


I went to Hancock tonight to look at the micro velvet. I tried breathing through it and could feel my breath a little bit, if I had to guess I'd say a quarter the power I breath into it.


I'm going to check out Joann tomorrow and compare. Joann is 33% the price and is a lot wider too. I did like the look of the micro velvet though

Just FYI, if you're going to JoAnn's, check out the 'Premier Velvet' in addition to their 'Stretch Velvet.' It's the same type as the 'Micro Velvet' over at Hancock's, and with a 50% off coupon is within the same price range.


I did the same thing and compared the stretch to the premier. The stretch velvet definitely has better AT qualities, but since my speakers are behind the screen and not the fabric, I thought the Premier Velvet was a much nicer material and worth the little extra cost.
 

·
RETIRED theater builder
Joined
·
36,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20868514


I tried breathing through it and could feel my breath a little bit, if I had to guess I'd say a quarter the power I breath into it.

Just a data point. The much used GOM FR701 fabric provides a similar breath test result. I remember posting years ago that it felt like a 3-4 out of 10.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20874388


Just a data point. The much used GOM FR701 fabric provides a similar breath test result. I remember posting years ago that it felt like a 3-4 out of 10.

Does the micro black velvet From Hancock have any requirements as far as orientation? People said the one from Joann's needs to be installed a certain orientation.
 

·
RETIRED theater builder
Joined
·
36,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20874418


Does the micro black velvet From Hancock have any requirements as far as orientation? People said the one from Joann's needs to be installed a certain orientation.

Not that I noticed. My top and bottom are at 90 degrees to the left/right. I can't see a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
The Hancock website states that the micro velvet is now Discontinued...



Micro Black Velvet

Item# 128157

•Contents:100% Polyester

•Width:44"

•Care Method:Dry clean only.

•Bolt Size Average: 15 Yds.



Availability:

Discontinued
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top