AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to HD today and checked out some colour samples. I wonder which is the mattest i.e. least reflective black paint to go on a mudded drywall. I want to paint the screenwall and ceiling black and the side and rear walls dark gray. The carpet is going to be a blue/gray medium dark but probably still the lightest color in the room.

I hope for a fixed screen of 116" width and have a DLP with 1000:1 contrast and 2000ANSI lumen.

I don't want to use velvet or GoM. I checked Ralph Lauren Suede paint. The structure looks great but it seems to be a pain to put on.

What would you recommend?

Thanks for your help,

Till

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Sherwin Williams Tricorn Black.

Flattest black I've seen :D

Regards,

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,

I am sure you have seen quite a few flat black walls. Thanks a lot. Is the Sherwin easy to get a hold of, if not are there alternatives?

Thanx,

Till

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Till:

There are Sherwin-Williams stores everywhere. Check your yellow pages under paint. There may even be independent dealers.

Good products.

Deane

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's great. I am not that familiar yet with any brands related to household items as I've been living here only for two years now and never had to do any remodeling or DIY.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Till

·
Registered
483 Posts
I used Behr 'Ink Black' from Home Depot. It's not available on the wall of colors, so you have to ask for it at the paint counter. Make sure you do not get the enamel flat paint base, just the regular flat paint.

This paint is very flat, VERY black and goes on well.

It's an alternative to the Sherwin Williams.

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
All Sears paints are Sherwin Williams. You wouldn't go wrong with their 15yr, or 30yr.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm using black "carbonite" fabric from Dazian on linacoustic frames. It's a matte velvet. It soaks up light like a sponge but still has a certain "fuzzy" warmth to it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your input.

I actually have a little sample of the Ralph Lauren Bone Black and it is very black indeed and looks quite flat. But I will check out all your suggestions and then let you know what I decided and how it comes out. Probably flatness is more important than the degree of black since the room will be totally dark (no windows).

For the side walls I am planning on using a color called Evening Hush by Behr because it is practically the color of my speakers, six foot high floorstanders. This way I can make them seem a little more inobtrusive.

There is another really beautiful color by Disney/ Behr. The name is Cinema Star (very suitable). In artificial light it's a dark anthracite and if you have no real black next to it, it looks black. In natural light however it is a very nice blue/black, quite like a night sky indeed. That would be nice for the ceiling.

Any more suggestions?

Till

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Almost any color you choose can be matched using Ben. Moore paint. In my experience and two prof. painters that I've used in the last three years. Both agreed it is one of the best paints on the market....a little more expensive but tops in coverage, wear and tear and a finished/prof look.

When using dark/flat colors be careful. You'll need several coats and they tend to show brush strokes. One would think the darker the easier to paint with...but the opposite seems to be true.

Good Luck

Ron

Painting a room is one of the cheapest tweaks to a HT. (Dark) Carpet (which isn't cheap) is another great way to improve screen contrast.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually the carpet will be a medium dark blue gray. I would say about as dark as the Exxon Blue but not as intense in color. It is the same color all through the house and I like this idea, besides I got a decent price.

How much would it be to have a pro paint the 1600 sqft of wall and ceiling? I have done it myself but it was white paint and I cannot call myself experienced.

Thanks for all your great posts!

Till

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
I would "guess" $500 per room avg, so about $180 for the screen wall and ceiling. You may have problem finding a prof. painter for that small of job. You'll probably have to find a "handy man" type who enjoys and is good at painting.

Don't let my comments sway you from doing it yourself. We used prof. due to timing and the number of rooms prior to moving in a 75 yo home (which had wall paper and quite a bit of prep work on plaster). The other rooms, halls including the HT room, we did ourselves.

Don't skimp on a quality brush/roller and paint (B. Moore-Fab 5 use it). Take your time taping (prep work) and the painting, itself, should go very smooth.

Good luck

Ron

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Another good alternative is fabric. I think one or two in here mentioned fabric on the walls. I use black felt wrapped on panels which are attached to the walls. It is so non-reflective, that the screen appears to almost hang in mid-air when the light are out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.