AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I am looking for in a media player:

1) Supports 1080p via HDMI output so I can connect it to my Onkyo TX-SR507 receiver to watch movies/listen to music

2) Supports MP3s, Divx, XVID, DVDs, etc formats...Nothing fancy

3) Can be accessible FROM my Windows laptops as a network share: ie: \\\\media-thingy\\whatever

4) The media player can play music/videos directly from my laptops via WiFi OR LAN

5) Allowed to copy any files from my laptop to the media player to be used as a backup device

6) Can stay on 24/7 with minimal heat/power usage

7) Can do all these things natively without firmware hacking, etc..

Can the eGreat and/or popcorn hour devices do all these things? If not, is there anythign that can?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Popcorn Hour A-110 can do all those. I guess the Egreat can as its a NMT as well. Wifi will require an adaptor and may struggle with certain media types.

From what I know of the xtreamer and ASUS playON should as well, although I have no experience of them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the pros/cons of getting a separate NAS (connected via LAN network) vs. connecting a HDD to the Egreat via USB via connecting a HDD to the SATA connector on the Egreat...

1) In all 3 cases, can my Windows PC access the drives as a network share?

2) In all 3 cases, can the eGreat access any media?

3) What are the performance implications?

4) What about partition formats of the hard drive, any limitations? I see some talk about ext2 or ext3.. I am not familiar with all these..Which format would I need to use?

·
Registered
220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat23 /forum/post/16986590

Here is what I am looking for in a media player:

2) Supports MP3s, Divx, XVID, DVDs, etc formats...Nothing fancy

I dunno. Do you really want to listen to something like an MP3 on a nice home theater setup? To me that is like using premium sauce on a $2.00 steak.

I am leaning towards the WD TV HD Media Player for two reasons: price, but more importantly, its support for FLAC audio. MP3s are great when you are on your way to work or traveling, but at home, I want to hear the music properly
. The only thing that the WD Media Player is missing is network connectivity, which is a bit annoying. It can be done, and there is a thread about it on this site, but it seems like more hassle than it is worth, at least for me. But I can live without it, since I don't think Popcorn Hour or SageTV are available in Canada without ordering it online.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat23 /forum/post/16987220

What are the pros/cons of getting a separate NAS (connected via LAN network) vs. connecting a HDD to the Egreat via USB via connecting a HDD to the SATA connector on the Egreat...

1) In all 3 cases, can my Windows PC access the drives as a network share?

As long as there on the same network - Yes.

Quote:

2) In all 3 cases, can the eGreat access any media?

Yes although if your using a DLNA client you can't stream ISO's. Set up a SMB or NFS share instead.

Quote:

3) What are the performance implications?

Performance implications of what? USB will be faster than LAN, Wifi is unlikely to be able to cope with 1080p files.

Quote:

4) What about partition formats of the hard drive, any limitations? I see some talk about ext2 or ext3.. I am not familiar with all these..Which format would I need to use?

Popcorn hour (and I guess the Egreat) can only write to ext2 or ext3 or FAT32 filesystems (when connected via USB), using a SMB or NFS share this doesn't matter, I think tho I might be wrong about that. So if connecting via USB use ext2 or ext3 (FAT32 is not very useful as it has a 4GB max filesize limit, no good for 1080p files).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts