AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So it's been a long time since I've tried to build an HTPC, and maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time figuring out what is the latest and greatest for motherboards and stuff. The rest of the computer i can figure out for myself. its just getting started with the mobo/chipset that i should be searching for.

The primary purpose of this computer is to decode x264/h264 video. I need it to have HDMI, and if it did sound over HDMI that would be even better. I don't need a lot of hard drive space and such, I have that covered. I can't tell, if for my needs, I should just get a regular mobo/cpu set or try and get one of the htpc designed ones.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
the intel g45 is a great board, but the caveat is you need to use vista.

i am using win7 rc and its not nearly as stable and thats becuase of the drivers. if they get good driver support by the official release then i can go back to recommending it for win7, but not now.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Intel GMA graphics are are still several steps behind the Nvidia and ATI alternatives. For the same price as a G45 board, you can get a board with either an ATI 4200 or Nvidia 9300 GPU - either of which will wipe the floor with the Intel chip.

The Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H with a E5200 dual core pentium is a popular combo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.