AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending hours on here, ive finally decided that i will go with the onboards graphics option rather than get a dedicated card.


Building a HTPC for 1080p playback and blu-ray. Only problem is i dont know which motherboard and chipset to get. Some people are saying G45 and some saying the 780G.


Need one that can video over HDMI and supports 7.1 audio. Any help appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
The drivers over the last couple of months from Intel now support 24p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaliboy /forum/post/15447278


what do you guys think of the Asus P5N7A-VM?


whats the main difference with this and the P5Q-EM?

I too am very curious to hear about what people prefer the Asus P5N7A-VM or the P5Q-EM. I was going to go with the P5Q, but then I saw people raving about the flawless BluRay/HD playback on the P5N7A out of the box and now I am unsure.


Thoughts anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
This review sold me on the Asus P5N7A-VM but you could also consider any other Nvidia 9300/9400 board...

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3432


The latest BIOS appears to have cleared up any lingering issues reported in the article and in the owner's thread. While I'm grappling with the bizarre RAID implementation, it is an amazing HTPC platform.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
+1 for 780G mobo.....mine's set up like this:

Gigabyte 780g mobo

AMD 4850e cpu

CoreAVC codecs

Windows Media Classic

Media Portal front end

PDVD OEM with AnyDVD

Onkyo 504 receiver (waiting for new Pio1018 arriving this week)


Zero issues with 1080p content and BR/HD movies.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaliboy /forum/post/15439617


supports 7.1 audio

If that means 7.1 audio over HDMI, then 780G is excluded.


GA-E7AUM-DS2H GeForce 9400 is a good board for the op's purpose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/15469279


If that means 7.1 audio over HDMI, then 780G is excluded.


GA-E7AUM-DS2H GeForce 9400 is a good board for the op's purpose.

thanks for the info renethx....


another mobo i have seen is the GA-MA78GM-S2H. Does anyone know if this does 7.1 multichannel audio over HDMI?


also whats the main difference between the two apart from the different chipset?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaliboy /forum/post/15571572


thanks for the info renethx....


another mobo i have seen is the GA-MA78GM-S2H. Does anyone know if this does 7.1 multichannel audio over HDMI?


also whats the main difference between the two apart from the different chipset?

That mobo is built around the 780g chipset. All 780g motherboards are limited to two-channel LPCM over HDMI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Here's my new setup after some research here, hope it helps somebody:


Apex MI-008 mITX Case/PSU 50.00

Intel GC45FC Mboard 85.00

Intel E6300 1.86Ghz cpu 70.00 (used from prev. system)

Intel Low profile cooler 7.00

Corsair XMS2 6400 - 2x 2 GB 25.00 (after rebate)

Sea 160G Sata HD low profile 60.00

2 Vantec 80mm fans 16.00

LG DVD burner Sata 25.00 (bluray later)

--------


Total PC Cost $ 338.00


My logic:


The main thing I didn't get from this build is the option for PCI-e graphics such as a Nvidia 9800GT which I wanted alot but I couldn't justify it. I only surf, read email, use office and watch DVD's-play music. No gaming.


I'm sure there's many of us older non-gamers on AVS. I simply wanted a full power tiny cased PC WITHIN ARMS REACH that doesn't drive me nuts with noise. And I 've got it.


So the bottom line issues becomes G45 vs full PCI-E performance graphics.

And space constraints; going mini-itx or full size case (I consider mini-ATX full size still)


I suspect that mini-itx 2.0 with pci-e slot mboards coming out by this summer

but I wanted to build now in winter to beat the cabin fever


I put my faith in the Intel G45 for building w/o spending days researching this subject. Now comes the other stuff to attend to:


Most important: The best cooling and noise setup in mini-itx case.

2nd " : Best Performance/price/size for the buck.

3rd " : OS and Applications - Run Win7 w/TTek and Linux HTPC on the same box -dual boot Done.


Tada! Dang I think I did it. What do you guys think of my logic-build?


It's all working good now and I have to get the dang cover on while keeping the noise to minimum ...lol

Everybody here knows that's the hardest step in BYOB.


The joy is in the journey on these boxes...it's been fun.

I thank all the posters and AVS for the help.


Cheers, Duder



ps I have this box hooked to a Sammy 42" Plasma and an Onkyo TX-SR503

with Axiom 5.1 Speakers (M22-QS8-VP150) via HDMI and SPDIF.

__________________
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
Have you tried Bluray movies with all the HD codecs (Video and Audio)? Im curious if it can also output 24p smoothly? What player are you using? Have you tried MKV with flac?


Im asking because I am in the same position as you.. This build, I dont care about gaming BUT I want enough power to play movies smoothly.. I dont want ANY hicups...


Thanks for your feedback..

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw005 /forum/post/15573020


Here's my new setup after some research here, hope it helps somebody:


Apex MI-008 mITX Case/PSU 50.00

Intel GC45FC Mboard 85.00

Intel E6300 1.86Ghz cpu 70.00 (used from prev. system)

Intel Low profile cooler 7.00

Corsair XMS2 6400 - 2x 2 GB 25.00 (after rebate)

Sea 160G Sata HD low profile 60.00

2 Vantec 80mm fans 16.00

LG DVD burner Sata 25.00 (bluray later)

--------


Total PC Cost $ 338.00


My logic:


The main thing I didn't get from this build is the option for PCI-e graphics such as a Nvidia 9800GT which I wanted alot but I couldn't justify it. I only surf, read email, use office and watch DVD's-play music. No gaming.


I'm sure there's many of us older non-gamers on AVS. I simply wanted a full power tiny cased PC WITHIN ARMS REACH that doesn't drive me nuts with noise. And I 've got it.


So the bottom line issues becomes G45 vs full PCI-E performance graphics.

And space constraints; going mini-itx or full size case (I consider mini-ATX full size still)


I suspect that mini-itx 2.0 with pci-e slot mboards coming out by this summer

but I wanted to build now in winter to beat the cabin fever


I put my faith in the Intel G45 for building w/o spending days researching this subject. Now comes the other stuff to attend to:


Most important: The best cooling and noise setup in mini-itx case.

2nd " : Best Performance/price/size for the buck.

3rd " : OS and Applications - Run Win7 w/TTek and Linux HTPC on the same box -dual boot Done.


Tada! Dang I think I did it. What do you guys think of my logic-build?


It's all working good now and I have to get the dang cover on while keeping the noise to minimum ...lol

Everybody here knows that's the hardest step in BYOB.


The joy is in the journey on these boxes...it's been fun.

I thank all the posters and AVS for the help.


Cheers, Duder



ps I have this box hooked to a Sammy 42" Plasma and an Onkyo TX-SR503

with Axiom 5.1 Speakers (M22-QS8-VP150) via HDMI and SPDIF.

__________________
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
No, I have no HD-BD player yet. And I haven't done any real testing of video playback yet. I will post back when I 've done some testing with PowerDVD and TheatreTek of what it can do given the lack of a HD player.


Is anything in the HW pipeline to beat BD-HD players? I've lived without it a while and used a 720p DVD player so far. Curious.


Your answer is prolly in the official DG45FC thread stranglx.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top