AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine - Your PJ is about to arrive and you are wondering which film to show for that WOW first experience.

It does not have to be your favorite or even the best movie. Which movie best shows off your new toy?

My new PJ arrives this week.......

:)

Rob

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
They're well-worn, but there are reasons. I have yet to find better picture quality than that in Stars Wars II. Vertical Limit superbit has some very nice scenery, etc., and, of course, the ever-popular Fifth Element superbit.

The movie that meant the most for me, and was a pretty good technical test, too was 2001: A Space Odyssey.

In the projector-killer category there's Dark City.

Edit: I'd definitely include Moulin Rouge for great transfer of excellent colors and detailed sets.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Knowing what you have coming in... I'd vote for Monsters Inc. or Toy Story. Or if you want to challenge the black levels and set more realistic expectations go for LOTR:FOTR EE. :D Seriously, I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you go with!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moulin Rouge is on the list for sure

Our kids have all requested Finding nemo - but I can't get that for a while :)

I'm seriously thinking about Blade Runner

I've seen The Fifth element at every demo of late - I need a break from that

How about Minority Report?

Dark City is banned from our theater :)

Rob

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Lots of opinions on this. I think a lot has to do with personal preference. To get a good idea of what your unit will do, you might want to look at something you are familiar with (does not have to be a favorite). That way you have a basis of comparison. If you simply want it to look great, I'd agree with pheroy, an animation will look absoluetly stunning (Ice Age I like myself for that reason).

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
The Rock (criterion), Se7en and Blade II are great. Oh, and don't forget Porky's IV. (kiddin')

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Apocalypse Now— there is nothing more satisfying then cranking up the surround sound during that helicopter scene.

·
Registered
652 Posts
In the projectors I've demoed, I've seen Gladiator, 2001, and FOTR on DVD.

For my first "serious" screening on my own projector, I'd probably go with the Extended Edition of Fellowship of the Ring. Although since the Extended Edition of The Two Towers will be out by the time I buy, I'll probably be tempted to watch that one first.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm in the same boat !!!

I decided on Gladiator because it also has an amazing soundtrack and surround sound so it shows off my audio as well as video!

For just video impressions, Monsters Inc. and Shrek are supposedly amazing since they are pure digital.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The Patriot or Saving Private Ryan would both show off the superior colors of the JVC. Tombstone SE is a really good one too.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would watch Star Wars AOTC first. Then proceed with all of the regulars, TFE, animated stuff, Gladiator, etc. I'd watch Blue Crush also. I can't wait to see the Coral Reef HD clip on a digital pj.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'd skip Blade Runner until they release it anamorphic. I tried last night on the new SX21, and image quality from that disc leaves MUCH to be desired, as I'm sure others here have noted.

Moulin Rouge looks and sounds astounding, even with my temporary limitations (S-video cable from the Bravo D1, eggplant-colored wall for a screen, etc.).

To answer your question, consider showing a movie that will look great but that you probably don't love or feel real close to (perhaps AOTC?). That way the inevitable pauses and tweaking and fussing that happens the first time around won't diminish that beloved film's pleasure as much....

- Tom

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Undercover Brother :)

(seriously- funny movie (not as crass as the Austin Powers movies, suprisingly, so it shouldn't be too toxic for the wee ones) and it has a great transfer from Universal.

other suggestions (for content as well as PQ)

12 Monkeys

Barry Lyndon (one of the most beautiful-looking films ever made and the disc transfer is top shelf...its also a 4:3 letterbox- 1.6 ratio)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Shaving Ryan's Privates has always been a favorite of mine

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the great posts

I thought I was the only person who appreciated Undercover Brother :D

I'll skip BladeRunner as it's not even my fave version

(come on warner - release the HF Ford commentary version as well)

I re calibrated the CRT (it's now sadly sitting lonely in a corner of our garage) 2 weeks ago and we chose Gladiator to watch that night - so that one is out.

I had forgotten Se7en. One of my favorites from the last few years

I think that will be the choice. Quite dark as well.

Toy Story 2, Ice Age, Monsters Inc, Shrek and Bug's Life will be the most watched films over the next year, so I don't need to make them first. the kids will make sure they get their chance :D

Grrrrr - where's that projector

Rob

·
Registered
485 Posts
Try a new comedy, Rob - A View From the Top which stars Gwyneth Paltrow. The transfer is incredible and very very colorful. It starts out a bit slow, but the second half of the movie really comes together. A nice romantic comedy for the wife and a reference transfer for you to drool over your new PJ.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
If the showing is a Family affair.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World,

To Catch a Thief, if you want a 1.85

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.