AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to get an idea for owners of 4K (especially projectors), which movies you prefer to watch in 3D over 4k and the opposite.

Thanks!

Reactions: Car67

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just trying to get an idea for owners of 4K (especially projectors), which movies you prefer to watch in 3D over 4k and the opposite.

Thanks!
This is easy one for me... if you can get crosstalk and ghosting free picture with 3D on your projector and it is bright enough for 3D... then 3D trumps 4K every time for me. This was the same case when I was debating between 3D and 4K on my 65" OLED LG TV as well. 3D especially if it had IMAX ratio on there, it was clearly the winner! Now that I have 3D perfected on my projector, it beats everything else! By the way, I'm using Epson 5050ub with Xpand X105 glasses. 3D on this projector is amazing on a 150" scope screen! The sheer size of 3D on this projector is another level for me and I thought the 3D on my OLED TV couldn't be beat.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
All of them! I don't have a way of playing UHD discs yet so not really worried about it. HD looks fine. I haven't bought any UHD discs specifically for the UHD discs, just if they're included already so I do have a few, mostly the last 6 or so IMAX titles.

·
Registered
298 Posts
All 3D

(If their contents are decent, otherwise I wouldn't even watch them in a ST holodeck)

Btw 3D is 1/2 4K... ;)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Passengers is a good example of 4K vs. 3D. I watched it in 4K first and was not impressed. I thought, "ok movie." Then I watched it in 3D, and it became one of my favorites. 4K adds some more definition (maybe, but read on), but it's still 2D and the depth and feel of the environment (the large interior of the ship) gets lost. In 1080p 3D, each eye captures a separate set of pixels, not the same pixels as 2D 4K. The combined set of 3D pixels is more than 1920x1080 to the brain. I felt the same way about 2D 1080p Titanic--ok movie, but not one I'd watch again. Then saw in full-screen 3D and it's now one of my favorites.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Passengers is a good example of 4K vs. 3D. I watched it in 4K first and was not impressed. I thought, "ok movie." Then I watched it in 3D, and it became one of my favorites. 4K adds some more definition (maybe, but read on), but it's still 2D and the depth and feel of the environment (the large interior of the ship) gets lost. In 1080p 3D, each eye captures a separate set of pixels, not the same pixels as 2D 4K. The combined set of 3D pixels is more than 1920x1080 to the brain. I felt the same way about 2D 1080p Titanic--ok movie, but not one I'd watch again. Then saw in full-screen 3D and it's now one of my favorites.
Thanks for the details.
Gotta try that one in 3D to see. I already have the 4k so good test for sure.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
This is easy one for me... if you can get crosstalk and ghosting free picture with 3D on your projector and it is bright enough for 3D... then 3D trumps 4K every time for me. This was the same case when I was debating between 3D and 4K on my 65" OLED LG TV as well. 3D especially if it had IMAX ratio on there, it was clearly the winner! Now that I have 3D perfected on my projector, it beats everything else! By the way, I'm using Epson 5050ub with Xpand X105 glasses. 3D on this projector is amazing on a 150" scope screen! The sheer size of 3D on this projector is another level for me and I thought the 3D on my OLED TV couldn't be beat.
Ditto! I have the 65" LG OLED and Epson's laser projector.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The Martian is a really good one, comparatively. 4K is amazing, too. But the added dimensionality of the 3D is really immersive. Just watched the first half of Sin City 2 Last night and it was next level 3D. The films that are conceived from the start to be 3D really do use the process to its highest potential. IMHO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts