AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to build my own NAS out of spare pc parts. I'm just really getting hung up with what OS to choose. I am currently running freeNAS. The thing is that I have zero experience in the server work and even less with user accounts. I was able to configure freenas to do basic windows shares but I want to setup password protected shares and it just won't work. The forums are pretty useless too. There is one guard-dog guy that answers all the posts very rudely.

I also tried unRAID and that interface was great. very simple but it costs $. In the end it seems like the best bet though. Perhaps someone here can suggest any other that might work for me? This is what I am looking for:

1. I maintain my own backups so RAID is not important. I don't want parity, I want to pool all my separate drives together into a single pool (like windows spanning).

2. Speed. I was able to transfer data to my freeNAS share at 80MB p/s. With unRAID I was only getting around 25MB for some reason.

3. I like how unRAID only spins up the disk that is in use rather than spinning up the entire array.

4. I would like the ability to expand the array by dropping in new drives and not have to rebuild the entire array.

5. Need to be able to create some shares with password protection.

6. the easier the better

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
278 Posts
For free and unlimited options?

Debian testing net install disk with no desktop related files (uncheck all options except ssh server), aufs-tools to combine your drives and webmin to configure via web interface. Any questions just ask.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I use UnRaid, and I paid for the Pro License. Hell, I've got 2 Pro Licenses, and 1 Plus license. I paid full price for my 1st Pro License, and only $30 dollars for my 2nd Pro License due to a special promo. My Plus license I bought it from another member who wasn't using it for $45 dollars.
. I only use the server for storing my media, and to stream to multiple devices within my network, and out of network.

·
Registered
858 Posts
You might to take a look at xpenology which is a port of synology os to x86 pc's. It's much more user friendly than most of those NAS OS.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks guys. Hey Gus, any limitations with unRAID? What kind of transfer speeds are you getting writing to your array?

·
Registered
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker  /t/1526288/which-nas-os-unraid-freenas-nas4free-flexraid#post_24582388

Cool, thanks guys. Hey Gus, any limitations with unRAID? What kind of transfer speeds are you getting writing to your array?

I usually get 30 to 40 Mbps. It would get faster speeds if I was to use the cache drive, but I use the cache drive for Plex Server. Like I've said before, I only use it mainly to store my media and stream it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts