AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which Audio processor should I buy, in the $2500 to $5000 range? New or used is fine

My current setup:
Lexicon MC12B, Three Bryston 7Bst monoblocks for LCR, Bryston 4Bst amps for rear/side. jbl synthesis amps for passive subs (I use a sub for center and a sub for LC).
Electro voice professional two way speakers for LCR with 15" woofers and a compressed horn.
Side and rear are Jbl synthesis speakers.

I don't really like/use the .1 sub.
I the Lexicon processor's audio quality, very much.

I don't watch too many BD movies - 95% of my viewing Dish network hopper 3.
My first question, therefore, is - would I even benefit from upgrading to the higher gen audio codec processor?
I assume hopper 3 outputs only DD 5.1
I don't have a UHD BD player yet..

I was considering bying an Anthem AVM 60 - until I read about the (too many) issues it seems to have, on it's thread. I had installed an older Athem, 10 years ago, at my friend's house and I found it to be equal in audio quality, to my Lexicon MC12B. At that time, the Onkyo/integra was being hyped as having all sorts of "bells and whistles.. and amazing processor".. Unfortunately, I had sold my older MC1 to buy that Integra but the Integra was sub par - sounded like a typical mass market receiver - terrible, actually! I got rid of it right away and went back to Lexicon.

It is a pain to have to install, test and then sell.. I would rather buy a "keeper" and keep it for 5+ years.
Others, who had owned the Lexicon mc12b had suggested a current generation Onkyo/Integra but I refuse to even try it.. based on my prior bad experience with the mass market brands.

There is something about Anthem/Lexicon, which makes them sound (for me) much superior in audio quality - at least as compared to the yamaha/sony/Onkyo brands that I have experienced. Japanese brands like Sony/Onkyo et al offer a great value for the money and I like them just fine, for "casual" family room use with small to medium speakers.

I have never tried a maranz and I cannot say whether it is any good or not.. but based on a few reviews, I am not interested in the Maranz either.
Based on my comments above, can someone point me towards a processor, as good as Anthem AVM 60, in the $2500 price point?

·
Premium Member
6,378 Posts
Even you already said no to Marantz, I would give the AV7702mkii a try. I love that pre pro. Another option I would strongly consider is the Emotiva XMC-1 with Dirac Live Full. You can try both and keep the one you like the most. If you buy the Marantz from Amazon you have 30 days to return it back, same thing if you buy the XMC-1 from Emotiva.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Even you already said no to Marantz, I would give the AV7702mkii a try. I love that pre pro. Another option I would strongly consider is the Emotiva XMC-1 with Dirac Live Full. You can try both and keep the one you like the most. If you buy the Marantz from Amazon you have 30 days to return it back, same thing if you buy the XMC-1 from Emotiva.
http://www.goldenear.com/forum/Buying-Advice/3214-anthem-avm-60

"I don't want to bash the Marantz, but if the Anthem's sound was that of a scalpel, the 7702 was more akin to a Louisville Slugger. It was still dynamic and packed a punch, but the tonality, precision, micro details, and rightness of the sound just wasn't on par with the AVM 60. The differences were not subtle and I knew very quickly that the choice was clear. The 7702 is pretty and it packs a punch! No doubt it would sound better than my Integra. I'm also sure I could coax a little better sound out of it with some careful tuning and experimentation, but I could easily do the same with the Anthem and it was already well ahead.

So, there you have my .02. The Anthem is a great processor. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can get it home and fine tune it even more. Is the Marantz AV8802 better? Maybe so, but it is also $1,000 more expensive. "

I suspect I would agree with the above.. He wrote more eloquently, that I could have.. My experience with Onkyo was similar - "cheap sounding audio".. as compared to Lexicon and Anthem.
I might also consider going with a more expensive processor.. like a Datasat RS10, if I can find it used and at a nice discount.... Not sure.. and it does not have hdmi 2.0
The Anthem AVM 60 would have been a "no brainer" for me.. except that it seems to have many issues!
I posted here to see if there is any other USA or European brand processor, as good, at that price point - excluding the mass market Japanese processors. Btw, I do have a sony receiver, which works very well, in a different room.. The mass market Japanese brands are excellent value for the money. But there seems to be something superior in audio quality, about the US and European brand processor (even if their components are made all over the world)... Am I mistaken? Btw, I would probably avoid the McIntosh, because I am reading that it has a lot in common with Marantz. Meridian is much above my price point.. as are Trinov etc..

·
Registered
26,861 Posts
Based on your needs, I think you already have what you want. Anything else would be a downgrade. SOnically, anything $2500 and lower will sound inferior to the Lexicon.

Buy an HDMI switcher for HDMI video and run audio through the Lexicon.

Reactions: audvid

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on your needs, I think you already have what you want. Anything else would be a downgrade. SOnically, anything $2500 and lower will sound inferior to the Lexicon.

Buy an HDMI switcher for HDMI video and run audio through the Lexicon.
Thanks.. That is my opinion also.. and already I do have the HDMI video switcher and run the audio through Lexicon.. Your comment re-assures me that perhaps I should just stay put.. You think the Anthem would not sound as good? Their older anthem 30 sounded excellent to me.. but that was 10 years ago..

·
Registered
26,861 Posts
Thanks.. That is my opinion also.. and already I do have the HDMI video switcher and run the audio through Lexicon.. Your comment re-assures me that perhaps I should just stay put.. You think the Anthem would not sound as good? Their older anthem 30 sounded excellent to me.. but that was 10 years ago..
I've read the Anthem threads over the years, and like you, the reliability seems like a disaster.

·
Premium Member
6,378 Posts
Sorry but I don't see the point of getting a new processor if your listening habits are 95% highly compress audio like the one you get from Dish or DirecTV. You won't get any benefit upgrading your processor if you don't have intentions of doing immersive audio like Atmos or DTS:X. For what you do, the Lexicon is even overkill. In terms of SQ, that processor is one of the best processors ever made.

Reactions: audvid

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry but I don't see the point of getting a new processor if your listening habits are 95% highly compress audio like the one you get from Dish or DirecTV. You won't get any benefit upgrading your processor if you don't have intentions of doing immersive audio like Atmos or DTS:X. For what you do, the Lexicon is even overkill. In terms of SQ, that processor is one of the best processors ever made.
I concur.. The reason I posted this question/thread is - if something like the Anthem AVM 60 would have no less quality, it would be convenient to have it, so that HDMI switching is easier, when I upgrade to a 4k projector and also for the 5% of the time, that I watch BD on my oppo 103.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts