·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my choices

Zen

Zune or either the

30gig or 60gig I Pod

Here is what I will be using it for mostly. Listening to music (duh) while at work and for this I must have some type of external speakers. In the car and at home. Video will be used when I get stuck waiting at the hospital etc. So which will suit my needs best.

I currently use a pc if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I like the Zune a lot, I currently have a 100GB Archos 500 so the 30GB is not enough for me. The Zen offers more options for file formats so that is a solid option but I am not an IPOD guy at all. In my opinion the Ipod has offered less & cost more since their inception.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm a new Zen W owner and happy with the thing so far. Still amazed that it supports practically anything I throw at it. Formats, resolutions, bitrates you name it. Yet also amazed that AC3 isn't yet supported. Means I have to reencode the audio. No big, but a hassle if you're in a hurry. So while I can't compare hands-on with, say, the Archos 604 Wireless (which was my first choice but budget constraints won out) except through the extensive reading I did on most AV portables out there, I will say I'm fairly confident I made the right choice in getting the Zen W. Nex

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok do they make the accessories I am looking for as well. I am not brand loyal to any company. Here is what I need. Something like a docking station for the office with small speakers. Also either the base or handheld device needs to pick up local FM. 2nd need is for it to play songs over the car stereo and 3rd maybe use it with the home stereo system.

Thoughts...

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am really enjoying the zune. I know it has a lot of potential & w/ a few firmware upgrades it could become an iPod eater!

Here are the quirks:

-It does not support WMA Lossless playback

-It should be flexible on Video playback support

-I'd like to see more wi-fi features

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recommend the iPod based off of what you have stated that you need it for. The iPod has a huge amount of accessories for it and some nice compact speaker sets out there. There are also plenty of options for connecting it to your car stereo system. Also since you don't seem to be relying it for extensive video veiwing the small screen and lower battery life on video shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I don't recommend the Zune right now because it is just getting started and as a rule I generally avoid first run items especially in tech.

I don't recommend the Zen because I was thinking the Zen Vision W, The Zen M might also be a good contender, I don't own one so I don't know how many accessories there are for it.

Just my two cents but based on what you have said you need it for that is my recommendation.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I agree with nardoae - don't be an early adopter and get the Zune - let others work out the bugs and tweaking needed. The iPod is what - 5th generation now, has tons of accessories, is great for mp3s and mp4s, and its very easy to get those files onto the iPod (if you have a Mac or Win XP setup).

My wife and daughter both have iPods and they love them! (But of course I'm the one who has to rip the DVDs/CDs, convert to the proper formats and transfer to their iPods!)

About the best investment I've made though - it cuts down on the "chick flicks" that I have to endure!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like my AV500 but I haven't used any of the ones you listed so I can't really say it's better. It does not have an FM Tuner but you can buy an accessory with it that also allows you to record from the radio. I'm pretty sure that you can use the included A/V cables to hook up to a stereo system and listen through there. As for a car stereo, there are several different ways to hook up any MP3 player to the your car (though maybe not older cars). There really aren't many accessories for it, but I'm sure you can do everything you want to do with it, regardless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.