AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own the Denon DVD2200 and the Zenith dvb318. While the Denon has better build quality and probably superior transport, the zenith can output via DVI vs component on the Denon.

Will any advantage gotten by keeping the signal in the digital domain via DVi be negated by an inferior transport in the zenith?

Or conversely, is the Denon's superior core functionality enough to overcome any degradation in signal quality caused by an extra DA/AD conversion?

please let me know and if possible shoot me an email as i rarely am here. thanks!

aaron pelc

amp74 at yahoo

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Given the choice I would use the Denon, but I'm somewhat biased as I own the 2900 which is essentially the same player. The 2200 can be modified for SDI which is a super pairing for an outboard processor. The transport and navation are lightning fast, there is zero layer change delay, and the audio capabilities are in an entirely different realm compared to the Zenith.

The only issue (as far as I understand it) is that the 2200 has CUE while the 2900 does not as the later uses a revised version of the Mits MPEG decoder in the 2200. I don't know if this affects the Zenith or not.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp74 /forum/post/0

I own the Denon DVD2200 and the Zenith dvb318. While the Denon has better build quality and probably superior transport, the zenith can output via DVI vs component on the Denon.

Will any advantage gotten by keeping the signal in the digital domain via DVi be negated by an inferior transport in the zenith?

Or conversely, is the Denon's superior core functionality enough to overcome any degradation in signal quality caused by an extra DA/AD conversion?

Keep it in the digital realm if you can send 480i. The whole point with using an outboard processor is to have the processing (both scaling and deinterlacing) done there. If the Zenith will only send 480p over DVI, and not 480i, then you are forced to use the Zenith's deinterlacer.

I'm assuming that the Denon can send 480i over component. Can it?

At that price point, I'm assuming that the power supplies are about the same. But one unit may have a better MPEG decoder and better internal architecture. So I would also recommend looking into whose core video performance is better. Whose 480i is better?

SDI really would be nice. If available, and if using component video, I would also prefer whichever player has BNC connections for component. If either. More likely to have 75 ohms impedance in the cable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd go with the Denon (remember to turn progressive of).

Although I wouldn't say it is the equivalent of the 2900 which was a far better machine. The 2900 was replaced really by the 3910 in terms of price point and picture quality. The conspiracist in me reckons Denon just shifted the product numbers along a bit so everyone would think they are getting last years technology at a cheaper price, and that it's the same quality as last years!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts