AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Region 1 DVD consumer interested in buying a DVD player with progressive scan, multi-regional capability (and a PAL to NTSC converter) that are reasonably priced. I found three but have found no reviews (in English, anyway) for any of them and was hoping someone here might have had or knows someone who has had experience with them. I'd like to know wich is the best for my buck.

They are BBK DVD-BBK919PS (this one interests me the most but I am unsure of all three), Shinco DVD-858PS, and Skyworth DVD-1050P.

In case anyone's wondering, I found all three at https://www2.setssl.com/~hivizone/dv...main_frame.htm

I also found a Philips DVD-Q50 but it's too high ($518 US) for my current price range.

I'd appreciate any info any of you can offer me. Also, are the prices for the players reasonable or should I try looking someplace else? Or should I just forget about them altogether?

Also, should I just buy a Region 1 JVC XV-S65GD Progressive Scan DVD Player or is it too much of a hassle hack into it every so often?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any info at all would be a plus. Even if it's a link or... well.... anything really. I just want to make sure I don't spend my money in vain. :(

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hello,

As you have figured out so far there is no "perfect" DVD player yet .......

SOOOO ---

Give a ranking to each of the following items that are important to you and start there:

1. Quality of progressive scan output 1-5

2. NTSC - PAL conversion and quality 1-5

3. Region free 1-5

4. Scaling 16x9 4x3 ect. 1-5

5. Price 1-5

6. Quality (of build ect) 1-5

I chose to buy a Panasonic rp-56 for $180 online and had it shipped direct to JVB Digital in MI to mod it to region free for $90 . Still less than $300 and it seemed to get good reviews here. JVB will charge $50 more to output PAL from NTSC.

Bernie

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before I begin my actual reply, thanks for the reply your wrote, Bernie R.

I agree with you 100% that there is no perfect DVD player. That only exists in my head. :D But, I've seen no reviews for any of those three DVD players nor the JVC player. Basically, I'm trying to find out how each performs in each of the aspects you've mentioned in your post and then I'd make my decision based on which appeals to me the most overall.

But, again, thanks for replying to my post.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
The Skyworth does not do Pal->NTSC conversion as a lot of people think.

I've got a modded JVC SA75 on order, hope to have it next week. I'll comment on it as soon as I get it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up, mrwilson. :)

Well that only leaves the BBK DVD-BBK919PS (the one that seems to appeal to me the most) and the Shinco DVD-858PS.

Hmm... something tells me I might end up getting the BBK DVD-BBK919PS but you never know. :D

Thanks again!

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Malata was getting a lot of good press but I see that AVDeals ( http://www.avdeals.com/malata_dvd.htm ) has stopped selling it. They claim to be hot on the trail of a quality replacement so you might want to sit back and keep an eye on their progress.

The JVB ( http://www.jvb.nl ) mod is also getting some good press and the list of players they can mod is quite long.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RocShemp
Thanks for the heads up, mrwilson. :)

Well that only leaves the BBK DVD-BBK919PS (the one that seems to appeal to me the most) and the Shinco DVD-858PS.

Hmm... something tells me I might end up getting the BBK DVD-BBK919PS but you never know. :D

Thanks again!
Hi, I also think that you may consider to get the BBK. I believe many guys reading this forum want to know how the performance of BBK is. Please remember to post a review after you buy it! :D

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would wait for the new Apex AD-7701 due out at the end of this month. I'm sure it will be popular and there will be a firmware upgrade available soon after that will allow region free and macrovision off.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally posted by GaryWW
The Malata was getting a lot of good press but I see that AVDeals ( http://www.avdeals.com/malata_dvd.htm ) has stopped selling it. They claim to be hot on the trail of a quality replacement so you might want to sit back and keep an eye on their progress.

The JVB ( http://www.jvb.nl ) mod is also getting some good press and the list of players they can mod is quite long.
Hmm... I looked up the site and that is interesting. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I've got an Apex AD-600A and I can't stand it! The PAL-NTSC conversion sucks. Even the picture via component sucks. I really can't wait to get rid of it. If they've improved I'd like to know.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally posted by kwokyan

Hi, I also think that you may consider to get the BBK. I believe many guys reading this forum want to know how the performance of BBK is. Please remember to post a review after you buy it! :D
Okay, if I get the BBK (which I probably will), I'll be sure to let you guys know how it works. :) But please bear in mind that I am no expert so, if I do get it (and post a review), be sure to ask any questions I may not have addressed and tell me what to look for if I have no clue what you might be talking about. :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally posted by H8nXTC
I would wait for the new Apex AD-7701 due out at the end of this month. I'm sure it will be popular and there will be a firmware upgrade available soon after that will allow region free and macrovision off.
My uncle has an Apex and told me that the video quality was "adecuate" considering how cheep it was (he told me that my mother's JVC XV-1000BK really put it to shame) so, unless their video quality has improved, I'm really not interested in an Apex.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally posted by mrwilson
I've got an Apex AD-600A and I can't stand it! The PAL-NTSC conversion sucks. Even the picture via component sucks. I really can't wait to get rid of it. If they've improved I'd like to know.
Okay, I defenitely don't want an Apex! :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.