AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I was just about 100% sure (last evening) that I was going to go with the Onkyo HTS790.... and I still might. Sure looks like a lot of bang for the buck !

But then I had a couple other thoughts run through my mind... 1) For my small theater room, I will very likely only use it as a 5.1 set up anyway (leaving out two of the speakers) and 2) The speakers that come with the HTS790 are pretty darn large. Certainly bigger than the speakers with most other HTiB systems.

So how about this other option.... What if I get the Onkyo HT590 (much smaller speakers, plus only the 5.1 that I will use. Only 2 1/2 bills, and I'm in business. Then, down the road I could add one of these Velodyne powered subs, http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...9&sid=627g980l either the 10 or the 12, depending on how rich I'm feeling at the time. But will this work ? Does the HT590 have an RCA sub-woofer output ? I know the sub that comes with the 590 does not have an internal amp, and so it recieves regular speaker wires ?

Oh, and one more thing; Do all of the surround speakers of the HT590 have both a mid range speaker cone, plus a seperate tweeter, like the larger speakers of the HTS790 do ? And whether they do or not, how do they compare in sound quality ?

Thanks again,

Fish

· Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Chris /forum/post/0

Okay, I was just about 100% sure (last evening) that I was going to go with the Onkyo HTS790.... and I still might. Sure looks like a lot of bang for the buck !

The refurb 790 is now $289 at Shop Onkyo ($299 - $10 for signing up for the club + free shipping + no tax if you are not in NJ or FL). If you are leary of a refurb get the extended warranty for $20. There is no way you could tell mine is a refurb except for the sticker on the sub. This is one hell of a deal to say the least.

The 790 comes with a powered sub (makes a difference) and the speakers are not that big and you do not need to hook up the extra 2 surrounds if you do not want to. If you get them and find they are too big, sell 'em on Ebay or Craig's List and get a smaller set (I'm thinking you could nearly get $289 for the speakers themselves on Ebay, I'm thinking of putting the speakers and sub out there and getting the SVS 7.1 system to go with the 790's receiver). The receiver is worth the price of admission and the flexibility of the powered sub and the future flexibility of 7.1 is an added bonus.

· Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, I think the 790 is a great way to start home theater, especially if you're like me and don't know much about speakers. And like Yoshi123 said, there's nothing stopping you from upgrading the speakers to something better.

· Registered
275 Posts
Chris, some guys around here are claiming they got almost what they paid for the whole system out of the speakers and sub on ebay. If you don't like them do like Yoshi says and sell them, you still got a great receiver for $100 and a few hundred for your speaker upgrade.

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea'...... I guess I will end up going with the 790. I'm sure it will sound very nice. As far as speaker upgrades go, I'm far more likely to upgrade the sub, before I do the mid's and highs though. Already thinking about "at least" the BIC 100, but what I'm really dreaming of is the HSU VTF 3 :)

Thanks again,

Fish

· Registered
336 Posts
It seems like you already made up you mind, but I'll add in.

I too wondered if I should plunk down the extra for the 790, and I too would only run it as a 5.1 anyways, so I ended up going for the 590. Let me tell you the sound, both from the speakers and sub, impressed the hell out of me. Even being passive, the bass fill up my medium sized living room, and the mids and highs are crisp and clean.

If you're wary like I was about a refurb, go with the 590, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

· Registered
31 Posts
either way with any refurb they dont come with the cables needed to hook everything up right? im looking at the 5.1 because the surround sound is being used in a small room, but the 7.1 will last longer and is much better it seems due to the larger speakers and powered sub and a better receiver in general i hear.

· Registered
175 Posts
The speaker wire that comes with the system is fairly light gauge. A 50' roll of 16 ga. from a home supply store only runs about $8 (Menards by me). It is good to use that anyway even if you get the wire. I wouldn't use that to decide.

· Registered
9,938 Posts
I don't think the new units come with cables, period, other than the sub cable and speaker wires, if that's what you mean. At least I didn't see any when I got mine from CC.

But yeah, Home Depot or Lowes or someone has wire galore. Just measure what you need, add a few feet extra, and then buy the length.

· Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/0

I don't think the new units come with cables, period, other than the sub cable and speaker wires, if that's what you mean. At least I didn't see any when I got mine from CC.

But yeah, Home Depot or Lowes or someone has wire galore. Just measure what you need, add a few feet extra, and then buy the length.

Thanks guys. Now I just need to decide if I want the 590 or 790. How often do the 790s come down in price due to being refurbed at shoponkyo.com?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.