Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a new room to wire up with a front three speakers each running about 30-35 feet away from the receiver. I went to Home Depot and grabbed 250 feet of 12-gauge speaker wire. While I was there the also had some solid wire in a white casing. It has 8 individual little wires inside the casing. All the little wires are small, but solid, not twisted like speaker wire. Anyone every use this kid of wire for speakers? Would it work? I thought I could just twist four colors on one side and four on the other? My wife likes it better because it is white, and the same price (on sale) as the 12-gauge speaker wire. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
What is the gauge of the "white wire?" And how long of a length do you plan to make with it.

If those little wires are 26 gauge wires, then a bundle of 4 would be only 20 gauge, which would be insufficient if you were running them 40' to rear surrounds.

People do use this type of wire for speakers. There are web pages devoted to using Cat 5E ethernet wire for speakers, with people weaving the wires into intricate patterns to reduce noise. With some designs becoming very thick by using more than a dozen wires per side.

Tom B.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom,

Each of the wires appears to be 18 gauge. I thought that they might be better because they are solid? Maybe not. The length is going to be about 36 feet. The receiver will be in the back of the room, so the long runs will be to the front three speakers. Sounds like I might be better off with the HD 12 Gauge

- Scott

·
Registered
27 Posts
Go with the 12 gauge. Twisted wire is more durable than a solid wire over time, especially if it's in a high traffic area or you have kids or dogs or cats or an emu running around...

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I would go with the #12 too.

And I doubt that each one of those wires is #18, that is fairly thick. The same thickness as the inside cross-section of your standard power cord.

Although if you used a sufficient number of the solid core thin wires to be equivalent to #12, then they should sound pretty much the same.

You can buy speaker cable in white jackets.

Tom B.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom_Bombadil
You can buy speaker cable in white jackets.
In fact, you can wear whatever color you like.

·
Registered
538 Posts
go with the 12g.ck parts express they have carol silver plated high end wire 250' roll.and other wire etc .i think they have 10g good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.