AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question below, so skip my background if you'd like. :)

Just purchased a new home with about 2000 sq foot of unfinished basement. The house we sold had a "theater" in it, and the equipment was sold with the house. That room was about 14x25 with the right side and the rear wall composed of that Owens Corning "Basement Finishing" system (fabric covered insulation) while the front and left wall was drywall. I used a Sharp 9000 projector shooting onto a 110" screen, and 7.1 channels through a lexicon MC-8 (The MC-8 is going with us to the new house). Seating was a sofa and loveseat set up in an 'L' configuration. The room doubled as a playroom for my son.

This time, we we want a dedicated theater, with risers and a stage, and two rows of seating.

So, the new house house has what I see as two potential areas for the theater, both with pros and cons:

Overall Ceiling height is 8' 6".

1) 23' x 12' 6"

Pros:
  • Longer than the other choice
  • Can be made up to 6 feet wider, but will have to deal with a 4" column 11 feet from the "front" wall
  • Could actually be made 2' 6" longer but I would have to deal with the sump/pump in the front right corner

Cons:
  • More narrow than the other choice
  • "Right" wall has two large windows (that I don't mind covering)
  • Support beam on the ceiling would create a rather odd soffit right across the room 11 feet from the front wall. It would have to be about 1 foot high, dropping the ceiling height there to 7' 6". This would affect projecter placement, and screen placement.
  • Soffit would have to be constructed at the rear edge to conceal duct work.

2) 20' x 14'

Pros:
  • Wider that the other choice
  • Aside from a required soffit on the "right" wall (18" wide, 11" high), and a non-required one to match on the left wall, the ceiling would be a constant 8' 6".
  • Could be made up to 8' wider, but I would have to deal with a column (yes, that same column) 12' 8" from the front wall.

Cons:
  • Shorter than the other choice
  • The front wall would have one of those windows from the above mentioned space. (don't mind covering it)

So, my basic question is this...Is it worth giving up 3 feet in length to gain a nicer ceiling and a foot and a half in width?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

-Kevin

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can, and I will...

The only difficult part is if I do a floorplan in Visio, it's difficult to show the duct-work which will ultimately break up the ceiling...I'll do my best.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
A lot depends on your choice of seating. The longer length ensures no issue with having two rows of seating but the with would only accomodate a sofa or probably three HT recliners. The shorter room should still be able to accomodate two rows but gives more width for four HT recliners, and a nicer ceiling to boot.

Personally, I'd go with the 20x14 and the nicer ceiling. My room is 18x15, which is a little two short for two rows of seating but just right for accomodating 4 HT recliners in a row with columns to the side and still enough room to walk around the seating to get to the equipment.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeja
better yet, can you take some pic. Pic show more details :)
Yes, I can do that as well... And I will... I appreciate all of the helpful hints and suggestions.

-Kevin

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, here are some pics...Visio diagram to come later.

the "1" and "2" in the file names map to choice 1 and 2 respectively.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kgorow...front_of_1.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kgorow...ront_of_1b.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kgorow.../back_of_1.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kgorow...front_of_2.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kgorow.../back_of_2.jpg

Of course, "front" and "back" are meaningless until the screen is mounted...but you get the idea.

Thanks again!

-Kevin

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I'd say the choice depends on how wide you want your seating. As is, I'd take the wider one.

However, on the first one, you could make the room another 1.5-2' wider and just enclose the support post in a column - you'd never know.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just found a visio attempt I did before I considered solution #2.

The windows aren't in the right place, and the seating probably isn't to scale...but this is what I was thinking back then...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kgorow..._attempt_1.jpg

Notice the sump pump that I had to deal with. This image doesn't indicate how ugly the ceiling might be in this case...

-Kevin

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
still lost

is this a correct drawing of the basement? blue are stairs, black walls and post, grey the beams, purple the HT room shown in your diagram

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I'd rather have 23' X 12.5' then 20' X 14.

My theater is 20' X 12.5'. I have no problem with my width (can fit 4 chairs across), but I wish I had a few more feet in the rear for better sound (not have rear seating right up against the back row).

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stew4msu: Thanks for your insight...would you come to the same conclusion, though, when the ceiling is taken into consideration?

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
two more questions

1) in the front pic the water heater is not in that corner, does it need to be there.

2) the bump out on the left, how deep is it?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
two more questions

1) in the front pic the water heater is not in that corner, does it need to be there.

2) the bump out on the left, how deep is it?
I'm not sure which picture you are referring to, or which bump out you are talking about...but the water heater doesn't really infringe on either space, but the central air unit next to the water heater is dictating the 20' length of choice #2 when I leave the recommended 36 inches in front of the AC unit for "maintenance access".

Edit: I think you were referring to my mspaint drawing. :)

I've updated it, and included the water heater and AC unit. The other areas are all smaller than the two spaces I'm considering.

-Kevin

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
what I was thinking was something like this

where the light blue is the proscenium (I guess it can cover the pump) and green is the seating, also the wall is extended 3'-4' from the post (i.e. the corridor is on the other side of the post

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I would use #1, but swap ends, so the pump is in the left rear of the theater. I would move the support upright more toward the stairs, even if it meant using two of them (since they could be built into the wall), and adding another beam above the space parallel and next to each other (but you may be able to get away with just moving it over... consult a structural engineer). Those beams can disappear if you paint the ceiling black, and run moulding on the walls around the room at the height of the bottom of the beams.

That way you can have the length and the width, and not waste space by having a 3' walkway for essentially no purpose. Remember it's advisable to have space between the back row of seats and the rear wall for acoustic reasons (especially with 7.1 surround sound), so even if it's not technically being used, it's good to incorporate it into the HT room space.

You then have multiple options of where to put the entrance.. either near the right rear or right front, depending which way you want to turn when you come down the stairs.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
bump out is the work area, I think the H in your theatre drawing must be the pump

can't see it in this pic
Yep, you are right...You can't see it in the pic because I laid carpet over it...That white pipe and black pipe in the back of the room go into the sump (water and radon out)

Quote:
where the light blue is the proscenium (I guess it can cover the pump) and green is the seating, also the wall is extended 3'-4' from the post (i.e. the corridor is on the other side of the post
Yes, I like this idea...I would have to do something with the proscenium that made the pump/pit accessable. Maybe a hinged door in the floor or something. I would also try to isolate it so I don't have to hear it when it comes on (although I've never heard it yet...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj
I would use #1, but swap ends, so the pump is in the left rear of the theater. I would move the support upright more toward the stairs
It looks like #1 is more popular...Swaping ends would mean that the area above the screen would have to have a soffit (11" down from the ceiling). I guess I could hide that as well. Even if I swap, I would still have to conceal the pump so I don't have to hear it...But I could do that in something like a big column, and mirror it on the other side.

I will have to look into having the beam moved, although it doesn't seem strictly necessary if I bump the room out far enough to have the walkway on the other side of it.

I am confused by what you are describing for the ceiling though...I intend to make it black, or something very dark, but dropping the entire ceiling to the bottom of that beam would make the entire ceiling 7.5' instead of 8.5'. Do you think that is worth doing?

In other words, have a flat ceiling for the entire room of 7.5', or have a soffit across the room and on one end, and keep the ceiling at 8.5'?

I'd put the entrance to the room in the rear, just for acoustical reasons.

Thanks for all the ideas! I'm liking the idea of makeing choice #1 wider by either encorporating the beam in the room, or moving it. The bump out space (work out area) will still have plenty of room (the entrance to that space is 10' wide). The only concern I have with this space, is, of course, the ceiling...

Thanks again!

-Kevin

PS. Here's the current working diagram... Not sure how I will handle the sump pump back there...a little concerned with differences in distance from the side speakers to the listening position... Still have to figure out the ceiling...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.