AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a Denon 3800 dvd player with a 02/03 build date. The player works perfectly and I am very happy with it. I just recently heard that there will be a 3900 by late fall. I have 30 days to get a refund for my money if I return the 3800. Do you guys think that I should return the player and wait for the 3900 or keep the 3800. I really don't care about the SACD capability, so if I wait till late fall for the 3900 and the only difference is the SACD then I will be pissed. Late fall or next year is a long time to wait for an updated player, let me know what you would do.

Also, will the 3800, in your opinion, be outdated in the near future or will the electronics in the player last a long time. In other words, I don't want to spend $1200 on a dvd player that will be surpassed by a $400-$500 player.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marcpam
I just recently bought a Denon 3800 dvd player with a 02/03 build date. The player works perfectly and I am very happy with it. I just recently heard that there will be a 3900 by late fall. I have 30 days to get a refund for my money if I return the 3800. Do you guys think that I should return the player and wait for the 3900 or keep the 3800. I really don't care about the SACD capability, so if I wait till late fall for the 3900 and the only difference is the SACD then I will be pissed. Late fall or next year is a long time to wait for an updated player, let me know what you would do.

Also, will the 3800, in your opinion, be outdated in the near future or will the electronics in the player last a long time. In other words, I don't want to spend $1200 on a dvd player that will be surpassed by a $400-$500 player.
marcpam- the main advantage of the 3900 over the 3800 will be in its utilization as a universal player; if you are not interested in SACD, then this is of no interest. On the other hand, it will also include a DVI output which is very interesting to many people, but may not be a selling point to you. Other than that, the 3900 will probably just upgrade some internals. There is the possibility that if everything goes well with the 2900 next month, the 3900 might get the Mits MPEG decoder as well. There is also speculation that any knowledge gained from the 2900 would be put to use in ending the 3800spotty record with Y/C delay. Other little bugs known to this machine will also hopefully be worked out. If you have not seen any problems with your machine, then this is probably not much of a concern either.

If you are using your 3800 as a progressive scan DVD player, then there will probably be little reason to upgrade. The great thing about the 3800 is its use of the SI 504 chipset, that is not likely to change. Plus, by taking it back, you would have either to use for the next 6 months...and that is if it is released on time.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
i think you answered your own question when you say you dont care about sacd. also if they do use mits in the 3900 i feel that would be a downgrade and not a upgrade. mits did have chroma bug which they say they have fixed but at what price? the 3800 is a great machine and will last a few years for sure it is built very good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.