AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know. You hate these sort of questions. Me too.

I have an opportunity to purchase one of these projectors. Both Brand New at the exact same price.

The Sony VPL-VW12-HT uses LCD technology and the Runco CL-700 uses DLP technology.

The Runco spec sheet states Native Resolution 1280 x720.

The Sony spec sheet states XGA LCD Panels (1366x768) Pixels.

My use will be on 16x9 Stewart Screen 92" diag.

My viewing will be 75% Computer display and 25% HDTV and DVD .

I need to make a decision in 3 days.

All comments are welcome.

Thanks

:confused:

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I don't know how well the 12HT runs at native resolutions these days. You might have a hard time driving it at 1366X768 for your computer display. It will probably require some sort of custom resolution and a video card that can provide that custom resolution and timing.

The Runco CL-700 (which is made by BenQ) may or may not have a pixel-for-pixel mode on its RGB inputs like the Sony. That is very important for computer use and less important for . You don't want the projector resizing text because it will become more difficult to read.

My finger in the wind guess is that the CL-700 will be better overall.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I thought the Sony was much brighter and better looking than the Runco. The Runco looked too dark and dull to me.

I'm not positive, but isn't the 12HT about to be discontinued? And isn't the CL700 about to be replaced by the CL710?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I don't know what price you are talking about, but the NEC HT1000 and the Optoma H56 have great pictures for about 4-4.5K.

The Infocus SP7200/Toshiba MT8 can be found for under 6K - and they have clearly better pictures to me than the CL 700.

All of the other HD2's have great pictures. The CL700 can't compete with any of them IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the sony Vw 12 and I find it great for my PC, the only problem is that you cannot benefit from using the 16X9 panel. you can only view it in 4X3, apparantly sony are to release new software to cater for this.

In regards to the resolution, I only ever user 1024X768, its pretty crisp at that rate. You can increase it but I wasnt to bothered about the extra bit!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.