AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one has better picture quality? Sony KV34HS420 or Toshiba 34HF85C? I live in Canada so these are the Canadian model numbers.

I will use the TVs primarily for PS2 and Xbox gaming.

The Sony KV34HS420 is $2000 CAD.

The Toshiba 34 HF85C is $1300 CAD.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah and I was wondering where I can get these TVs for a cheap price?

My friend said that stores like Futureshop and Best Buy sell b-grade components (if the TV doesn't make the cut it gets shipped to these stores). Is that true?

Where can I get a-grade components?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of getting a Samsung but Samsung doesn't make 34 inch widscreen CRTs right?

Why is the maximum size of these Widescreen CRT HDTVs 34 inches? Will they make them bigger in the future?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilite
I was thinking of getting a Samsung but Samsung doesn't make 34 inch widscreen CRTs right?

Why is the maximum size of these Widescreen CRT HDTVs 34 inches? Will they make them bigger in the future?
Nope, only 30".

34"-36" is most likely the biggest CRTs we'll ever see again. Sony made a 40" tube TV and it was plagued with issues. A lot of the problem is from the weight of these things. The bigger they get the more susceptible they are to magnetic interference and the earth's gravitational pull. Geometry and convergence are harder to align, making for a not so pleasant viewing experience. The cost to ship a 300 pound TV is also not very cost effective anymore.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So does that mean it is better to get a 30" TV than a 34" TV? Would the 30" last longer?

Can someone answer my first two posts? I am trying to decide between those two TVs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you check out the "official Toshiba" thread, you'll find some interesting details about the new Toshiba models (xxHF85) being outsourced to a entry-level brand company called Orion.

I was just in a store an hour ago comparing these two models and to be honest the Toshiba didn't look so great. I think Tosh has fallen from grace for the sake of the almighty dollar, but some may disagree.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilite
Which one has better picture quality? Sony KV34HS420 or Toshiba 34HF85C? I live in Canada so these are the Canadian model numbers.

The Sony KV34HS420 is $2000 CAD.

The Toshiba 34 HF85C is $1300 CAD.
The Sony will have better picture quality as the Taiwanese Toshiba, but build quality should be about the same (Sonys seem to have lots of problems the past few years)

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
The Sony will have better picture quality as the Taiwanese Toshiba, but build quality should be about the same (Sonys seem to have lots of problems the past few years)
Thai Toshiba, not Taiwanese Toshiba. Orion is a Thai (Thailand) electronic company.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.