AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a DVD+ or DVD- disc more easily read by the majority of DVD players out there?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
DVD-R suppose to be more compatible (esp with older players).

But with most newer DVD players, they play both well. I play both DVD-/+ on all my DVD players with exception of the one that will not play anything except pressed DVD's. Actually all my backups both -/+ have all been good (so far). I have players from Norcents (3 mod' DP300), Pan (2 RP91 and F65), Denon 2910, Daytek DP30 DVD recorder (+R) and JVC DR-M10 (-R) DVD recorder. The only player that dont play either is the The Tosh 2nd gen player (2809?) that only like pressed DVD's.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for your reply, and it's a great coincidence that you have a 2910. I would like to get one, but when I took a DVD +R disc to try it out in the store, the player wouldn't play it.

In an ironic twist of fate, my 5+ year old Panasonic DVD-A110 will play this disc, but my Panasonic CP67, which is around a year old, will not play it.

Ideas?

The DVD was burned on at 8X on a Memorex DVD. Are certain brands more picky?

And if you were going to burn some camcorder video to a DVD which one would you choose to go with to ensure the most compatability?

Thx,

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Memorex media is usually the worst. And if given the choice, there are more players that will read DVD-R's than DVD+R's out there. Whatever you do decide on, when using home recording/burning, quality media matters!

I'd go with DVD-R and quality media to make sure it wa splayable on most everyone's players.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Buy media known to be good and reliable, memorex is NOT one of them. Also, try a few burns at 2X-4X range, even on your 8X media, you will find the compatiblity can go up considerably on many machines that would not play the 8x disks...

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discs made in Japan are usually of better quality. Some Fujifilm dvdrs are made in japan (you have to check the packaging). However, Fujifilm uses both discs made in Taiwan and Japan, so you have to check the packaging. BB has fujifilm 50 packs on sale this week for $19.99 no rebate. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.