Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I totaly new to this with Plasmas (and scalers). So if I'm wrong, please let me know - okay ?!?

I have been looking around (here in Sweden where I live), and I can summerize this to:

1) Panasonic TH-42PW4E

2) NEC 50MP1

The price for them are the same, both have DVI (I guess, I have not been able to find the specs for the TH-42PW4E, but I beleive DVI is included from the W4 version) and both have good reputation ???

Which one do I choose ??? The Panny for it's rumered better picture or the NEC for the extra 8" and higher resolution.

The distance between my eyes and the plasma will be around 2.8 to 3 meter give or take 10 cm...

I will connect the plasma to my TAG DVD32R (and most likly a PC with a goooood graphic card - that is another story though...), which will be upgraded with DVI next year (as soon as TAG releases there upgrade).

I'm planning on using a Focus QuadScan Elite P (the latest version for Plasma) - any comments ???

Anything else I need to keep track on ???

Best Regards

Lars Hedberg

·
Registered
548 Posts
If were talking NEC models the best advice I can give you is to wait for the new 50" that are coming out soon. As for the 42" I think the NEC 42MP3 would make an excellent choice. I just got mine the other day and I'm extremely happy with the picture quality. The internal scaler works good...matter of fact it works so good that I'm putting my IScan Pro up for sale. I found no noticeable difference if I use the internal or I go in via VGA with the Pro.

Colors on the 42" are superb. Especially the reds. Have you ever looked at a tv and the reds are a glowing orange. So much that you have to turn the color control down. Not with the NEC...reds are a true red.

Black level is very good...Of coarse this is a byproduct of the contrast. But both present a good picture.

I'm having a ISF tech stop by later to see what he can do. But to be honest...I used the color temp setting the other night and I tuned it using VE and I thought I was looking at a professional calbrated set up.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi Lars,

If you only look dvd's and computer graphics via DVI, you should go for a 50" display with W-XGA resolution.

Most interesting are the Fujitsu PDS-5002 ( = Panasonic 50" OEM with better video electronics and DVI ) and probably the new NEC 50MP2.

The internal scalers of the new displays are very good. So maybe the Quadscan is obsolete.

Alan, do you know more details on an outcoming new 50" NEC display - release date?

Greetings, Walter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.