Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm trying this again after being burned on a Sony 1272 in December I'm determined to finally see the bliss on the big screen that all of you enjoy.

Please tell me if I'm better off with an NEC 9pg or a Barco 808s assuming equivalent tube life?

I do know that the NEC is quite a task to setup properly but is the picture better than the Barco after that's done?

Also when I go check out the NEC what do I need to feed a video signal into it?

With the Sony you can just pipe in S video but from what I've read the NEC can't accept that alone?

Please just tell me what wires and video equipment I'll need to test it out and make sure it's working properly?

Thanks very much!

Walter

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Most NEC's do not have the optional V-dec board installed, so no video or s-video. You would have to put an RGB signal into it. And the color reproduction of the NEC's beats most other projectors. You don't hear much about installing filter gells on NEC's.

And, Yes, it's a task to initally set up an NEC PROPERLY.

Marc

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Walter, how were you burned by the Sony 1272?

That is usually a very realiable projector.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 1272 needs a driver board for the green gun and the tubes are burned. Being new to this I just didn't feel comfortable about the electrocution risk inside the machine.

How would I know if the board to run S video is installed in the NEC?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Hook up an s-video signal and see if there's a picture.

You would be wasting most of the projectors capabilities with just a video signal. Literally, *most* of your screen would be taken up with the thumb width black lines of unused raster between the active video lines. If you're only going to use plain video, just get a Sony 1020 for $200. or a Barco 400 or some other very low end pj.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.