AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... I am trying to pick up an HD station that is approximately 55 miles away. I currently get a very weak signal which drops out constantly with my very low-end Winegard antenna (not even sure the model # as the store says it is a 7055, but that one does not seem to exist... I do know that it has very few elements though). Thanks to some great feedback I got from my other post, I've narrowed my choices down to these three antennas:

1) http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2157

2) http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2162

3) http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2156

Would antenna #1 be too much antenna for my needs? I mean, would it over-amplify the local stations for the sake of picking up the farther away one?

Antenna #2 is UHF only... I assume this is all that is needed to pick up local digital channels? I also use the antenna for a couple of local analog channels as well though... would I still be able to get them with this antenna?

Antenna #3 looks like a smaller #1, but it is the only one that mentions it is HDTV-ready.... I assume this is just marketing? #1 is the same type of antenna, isn't it?

Given the fact that I do pick up the station very faintly and that it cuts out to the point where I can't even lock in anymore (I did watch the station in HD for a full hour once though), do you think a better antenna would help me here, or could it be that there are obstructions that no antenna would overcome?

Gee, I'm full of questions, aren't I? It's just so frustrating to pick up a jam-packed HD station (Waco's CBS affiliate) and then to lose the signal! Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Lord British

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
So. Austin. Lord British.

The actual Austin residing LB of Ultima fame?

Your answer is number one...while I was down at 3DR in Garland, I put that one in my attic in Rockwall and it worked beautifully. No problems with closer locals and all the signal strength I could get on the farthest HD stations. It is a solid antenna and nothing is overkill on the 55 mile distance (even in flat ol' Tejas.)

Buy it.

Rick

------------------

The Proceeding Message Was Brought To You By Some Yutz Who Thinks He Knows Something. Ignore At Will.

[This message has been edited by Rick Raymo (edited 06-15-2001).]

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Raymo:
So. Austin. Lord British.

The actual Austin residing LB of Ultima fame?

Thanks Rick! BTW - You are the first person on this forum to recognize where my nick is from! Ah yes, many an hour was wasted in my youth playing Ultima and trying fruitlessly to kill Lord British! If only they just would have told us that he couldn't be killed.... I could have spent my time doing more constructive things ;-)

Lord British

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
So you aren't Richard Garriot--but a fan, and yes...

There is no reason I wouldn't recognize the nic after 12 plus years in the games industry (grin.) I'm old for this industry but not senile yet at 38.

Rick

PS. Enjoy the antenna (mine was a ***** to wrangle into the attic and around the various attic supports due to neighborhood covanents...but worked beautifully.)

I'm sure the current owners of that Jethro Mansion and the home theater are still enjoying it.

------------------

The Proceeding Message Was Brought To You By Some Yutz Who Thinks He Knows Something. Ignore At Will.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Your #1 and #3 antennas under consideration aren't that much different. I have the "#3" (15-2156, model "VU-190 XR"). It's 30" shorter (but still at 160" will be a formidable attic install) and has just one less element than the "#1" (15-2157, model "VU-210 XR"). Incidentally, the graphic on the RatShack page depicting "#3" is NOT that of the antenna under discussion. It shows a much smaller antenna (15-2152. model "VU-90 XR"). The actual antenna I have is currently on sale for $49.99, which is the same normal selling price of the smaller antenna they show. Confusing. But, at $49.99 the 15-2156 (normally $99.99) is worthy of consideration. I doubt that spending an additional $80.00 for the 15-2157, "#1", is price justifiable on performance. I also have the #2 UHF antenna (15-2162, model "U-120") you are considering. I use that antenna as my dedicated HD receiver OTA antenna (All my digital stations are in the UHF band where I live.). The combo (15-2156, "#3") is used for analog VHF and UHF duty on two TVs and has worked out very well for me. And, you're right - "digital ready" is marketing hype. All these antennas will work for analog and digital signals. They're frequency band specific, not modulation technique specific. The same thing happened in the mid-fifties when color was introduced. The antenna manufacturers fell all over themselves advising people they had to get a "color ready" TV antenna...)

[This message has been edited by Ray H (edited 06-16-2001).]

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
In Texas in the summer, any install to the attic area is formidable--HOT!!!!!!!! Add fiberglass and stir for real fun.

But, yeah. The single element difference shouldn't be huge--the other thing I noticed back when I shopped for such (before living in Bowtie Land Here--Yah!) was that the elements were slightly heavier gauge--but if it is not in the wind (or the massive hail storms down there) that shouldn't matter.

Rick

------------------

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Raymo:
...due to neighborhood covanents...
which are unenforceable if you own your own home and property... (FCC - 1996)

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
I've got the VU190XR too, and fully agree with Ray's post. I can add that if you also want to use it for NTSC, it can get stations up to 55 miles away. My local DTV stations are all within 25 miles, I have no problem with reception, it's about perfect.

I have it mounted outdoors about 20' off the ground (10' above the roof) and use a Winegard UHF/VHF preamp and rotor, as I can get two different TV markets, from two different directions.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Premium Member
227 Posts

Quote:
which are unenforceable if you own your own home and property... (FCC - 1996)
Ah, but this neighborhood overlooks a lake (Ray Hubbard,) and most of the friendly on the surface folks I might have been in the view path for owned enough firepower to start their own local commando unit.

Never bum out your neighbors (too much) as they might want to get annoyed that you fly the US flag above the Texas flag on your household pole (most did the opposite.)

------------------

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
C'mon, Rick, where's your male ego? Get hold of I. Gaht Bawlz' self-help book, Martyrdom for Pride & Profit http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Ray H (edited 06-17-2001).]

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Rick, if you don't have the Balls to tell them they are wrong about the no-antenna rule, don't come crying about piss poor reception problems to me...

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Gents?

I don't live in Rockwall Texas anymore.

I live in Costa Mesa California and have a huge antenna these days...

Rick

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.