AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
The 2nd (and cheaper) one is the Double Bow Tie, and if you only have UHF stations to get, this one has a great repuation. Besides, Radio Shack has a good return policy. So if want to try them both out and return the one that you like the least.

Also look into the 15-1171 Digital Cable Amp. it works well on HDTV also.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Haha, since when did Richard Garriot move to Manhattan?

Anyhow, I've got the 15-1880, and it's going back. I get very little signal from it at all at 29mi.

I've also got the Zenith silver sensor, and that works quite a bit better. It gets signal, though the signal is jumping all over the place. It gets better if I touch my hand to the part where the antenna meets to coax cable. I'm not sure what's up with that.

Anyhow, in my experience the 15-1880 is a piece of junk. Maybe I'll give that double bow tie a shot.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!!

jjarmoc - I'm just a fan, but I do live in Austin and I know someone who grew up with Richard.

Who among us can't recall the countless hours of playing Ultima in our youth ;-)

LB

·
Registered
505 Posts
jjarmoc,

At 29mi, I'd think you need a good size directional antenna anyway. The 15-1880 is a multi-directional indoor for shorter ranges. What tuner are you using? That can make a real difference too.

Lord British,

I recently hooked up an old RCA 600 indoor to a Sammy T151 in Park Slope, Brooklyn, roughly facing toward the ESB w/ opposite building blocking a bit. I can get CBS, FOX and WOR/UPN plus some hispanic channel. Can't get PIX/WB though. I'm guessing the 15-1880 is a bit better than my old RCA 600.

Anyway, like someone else suggested. You can try both from RatShack and return the one that doesn't work well for you. With the double bow-tie, you may want to add an amplifier.

_Man_

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies all - I am going to order a Zenith Silver Sensor and the Radio Shack bowtie and try both... I will post my results when I hook it all up.

_Man_ - I heard WPIX is VHF.... supposed to be switching to UHF later this year.

LB

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord British
Thanks for the replies all - I am going to order a Zenith Silver Sensor and the Radio Shack bowtie and try both... I will post my results when I hook it all up.

_Man_ - I heard WPIX is VHF.... supposed to be switching to UHF later this year.
Since RS takes returns, I would try the DBT before ordering the SS.

BTW, although the RS DBT and the SS are both designed for receiving UHF stations, they will often pick up "highband" VHF channels 7-13 if you're not too far from the transmitters. WPIX-DT is on highband VHF ch 13, according to this site .

·
Registered
505 Posts
Actually, I believe WPIX-DT is on VHF 12. Anyway, I forgot about that since my RCA is VHF/UHF. :D

Also, I wouldn't hold my breath about when they'll actually switch that back to UHF broadcast.

_Man_

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.