Originally Posted by crimper87 /forum/post/20877459

It's our first receiver. We have a LG 60" plasma

Our room is about 14 x 14ft

It's between a Denon AVR1611

Or

Onkyo 509

I doubt with our room size we will ever have more than 5 speakers

Is there a lot of difference between the two uinits

One of the main differences is that the Onkyo has an ethernet port for networking. If you can increase your budget a bit though I would suggest you step up to the Denon AVR 2112CI instead. You will then get an ethernet port, audyssey MultEQ XT, a much better GUI, and a 3 year warranty. The 2112 is just much more future proof.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Between those 2, I would go with the Denon. It uses MultEQ where the Onkyo only has 2EQ.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Get the 591 if you'll only be using 5.1 speakers. Or use the extra 2 channels of the 1611 for a zone II setup.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you use Rhapsody, Pandora or Last.fm? The 509 can play those directly. The 509 can access internet radios stations and you can stream to it over DLNA. I got my 609 yesterday and I was surprised to find that the last feature actually worked as well as it did, I was able to play music from Android phone directly on receiver.

I think the Denon net capable receives can do something similar but its more iPhone / iTunes oriented. I don't think the receiver you mentioned is a network capable model though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.