AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say thanks in advance for any and all help and opinions provided!

Ive been looking for a long time and was completely sold on th Panasonic AX200U and ready to pull the trigger with in the next week. I then just realized a day ago, with in the next few months there are soon to be three new projectors to possible choose from.

All of these projectors are the same price $999.00.

They all slightly differ in lumens and contrast ratios.

One is a LCD-720 and the other three are DLP-1080.

The room I will be installing the projector in is the family room, I have very little light control but sure I will be taking some steps to help battle some of the ambient light, but also I have no desire to turn my living room into a dungeon. I also do most of my veiwing in the evenings anyway.

My throw will be 17' and I will be projecting around 130'' diagonal screen.

I also will possibly be buying, but most likely building a high gain screen using one of the many techniques found in the forums.

I would appreciate any and all input possible as I know this is going to be a difficult decission for me.

Panasonic AX200U $999.00

Type LCD

Resolution: 720

Contrast: 6000:1

Lumens: 2000

BenQ W1000 (the new one)$999.00

Type DLP

Resolution: 1080

Contrast: 2700:1

Lumens: 1800

Optoma HD20 $999.00

Type DLP

Contrast: 4000:1

Lumens: 1700

Vivitek H1080FD $999.00

Type DLP

Contrast: 5000:1

Lumens: 1800

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
You're asking for recommendations on two projectors that aren't even out yet. And the Benq I never heard of. You need to wait for some reviews to come out. The Pan. wouldn't even be on my list.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
Welcome'If your budget is under $1k then the ax200 would be great.Forget what Jim said.He must be a DLP groupie.I like both DLP and LCD.But like you said'you will have a room with some light then you need a bright fp.The cheap DLP's just do not have the power you need.Also the Epson 720 would be great for your room.And do not forget the AX200 is the no. 1 selling fp their is.That is for a reason.It does alot right.You will find the cheap DLPS have no lens shift 'so placement is a pain for them if at all.good luck

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
With ambient light, it is best to use a retro-reflective screen and to mount your projector along the viewers' line of sight, like on a shelf behind the viewers' heads. A bright projector with lens shift is best for that.

Also, a 130" screen is huge, and will require a bright projector to fill, even in a dark room. With a screen that large, you would probably want as much resolution as you could get. Ideally, you would have a bright 1080p projector with lens shift.

·
Registered
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead /forum/post/16918915

But like you said'you will have a room with some light then you need a bright fp.The cheap DLP's just do not have the power you need.

Gee buddahead, plz check specs on lumens for some of the budget DLP pjs, it's bad karma to put out misinformation! The HD65 for example, has plenty of lumens (1600 ansi)...

Yes, I'm a "dlp groupie"...

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Yeah, it's too bad a DLP with only 1,000 lumens maximum just can't cut it in a room with only a shade drawn to block out the noon day sun:

I'd listen to Jim...

·
Registered
935 Posts
The only thing you have to remember is that DLPs have very little flexibility in their placement. And some of the newer, low priced ones have virtually no flexibility. If you need a throw of 17', be absolutely certain one of the DLPs will work for you. I personally am a fan of the picture DLPs throw, but I also really like the flexibility of LCDs. The Panny, for instance, has a 2X zoom and both horizontal and vertical lens shift. These are great features when you're trying to fit a projector to the room and screen size and not the other way around.

Jim

·
Registered
4,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFileZ /forum/post/16923112

Why is it almost all of the DLP projectors require short throw distances? Is it strictly a price concession or is there some inherent reason other than price?

Short?

Ummmmmmmmmm most DLPS I see are longer throw, LCD pjs are way more flexible....too bad I like DLP better, but they don't work here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone...

Jim,

I completely understand the reviews would help me in making my choice but Ive been looking for sometime now and have the cash in hand to purchase a projector and Im getting a bit impatient. Also why would the panny not be on your list?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Buddahead,

You are correct Im looking for a cheaper solution as I dont have much more then 1K to spend. I saw these new lower priced 1080 DLPs and thought why not go with one of those if it would be bright enough....but you did bring up the good point the flexibilty of setup on the panny.

I honestly had forgotten about DLPs and the lack of flexibilty as I was looking at the Optoma HD71 when I orginally started looking but decided against it due to some of it charistics.

So Im not even sure that any of these DLPs would work in my scenario. Giving my throw distance and the size of the screen and having to battle against ambient light.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgw1973 /forum/post/16930714

Thanks everyone...

Jim,

I completely understand the reviews would help me in making my choice but Ive been looking for sometime now and have the cash in hand to purchase a projector and Im getting a bit impatient. Also why would the panny not be on your list?

1) I prefer DLP projectors

2) 1080p vs. 720p

But if you say DLP won't work in your room, then LCD it is.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I almost created a thread just like this till I found this one.

I've been in the front projector arena for 6 years. I've owned or installed:

Infocus x1...................DLP Horrible Rainbow Effect

Infocus 4805................DLP Jet engine loud, Some screen door, Great Color, Little RE

Infocus IN72................DLP Best 480p, everything 4805 was but better

BenQ 6100...................DLP Horrible RE.... X1 level

Panasonic PT-AE700U....LCD Low Brightness, Low Contrast Ratio, Blue Polarizer broke

Panasonic PT-AE900U....LCD better, dust blobs

Panasonic AX200U.........LCD Most Bright projector, great colors, Yellow Polarizer broke

Sanyo PLV-Z1..............LCD Horrible screen door, dust blobs, dim

Samsung SP-H710AE......DLP 6x color wheel, best colors, great contrast, dim projector

Sharp DT-400...............DLP my current projector, 5x color wheel, pretty good color, contrast, and the like.

I will never buy another or recommend another LCD projector.

I will never buy another projector that doesn't have sealed optics.

I will never buy a DLP projector with a 4X or lower color wheel.

If you can't decide between 2 or 3 projectors always check the replacement bulb price!

Don't buy into the 1080p vs. 720p hype. It all depends on how big your screen will be and how far away you'll sit from it.

If there were a perfect projector it would be the Samsung SP-H710AE with the brightness of the Panasonic AX200U.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate358 /forum/post/16951603

I almost created a thread just like this till I found this one.

I've been in the front projector arena for 6 years. I've owned or installed:

Panasonic AX200U.........LCD Most Bright projector, great colors, Yellow Polarizer broke

Samsung SP-H710AE......DLP 6x color wheel, best colors, great contrast, dim projector

If there were a perfect projector it would be the Samsung SP-H710AE with the brightness of the Panasonic AX200U.

i don't get how one can be a 'dim projector' and then have the brightness of a 'most bright projector'?

·
Registered
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lee240 /forum/post/16986145

i don't get how one can be a 'dim projector' and then have the brightness of a 'most bright projector'?

Read the statement closely. You will then understand what the poster is saying. Hint ; best of both worlds ......

·
Banned
3,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate358 /forum/post/16951619

Oh and I'll never spend more than $1000 on the projector.

If it isn't $1000 now it will be next year.

I also agree, 1K is a perfect pricepoint for a PJ. My first one was an Optoma H31, a best buy at the time. It came in at just over $900 after rebate. I upgraded to my Epson HC400, which also came in at under a grand. I just ordered a Viewsonic Pro8100, which was about $1150 after Bing cashback, it's on the way. Two things I've learned, you can get a great picture for around $1k, and LCD is MUCH more flexible when it comes to placement.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts