AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking to buy one HDTV ( 60" or bigger ) for great room, another 55"-60" for family room, following are my choices:

Great Room ( home theater room ):

Panasonic VIERA S1 Series TC-P65S1 65-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV, Black

$2,349.00

Sharp AQUOS LC65E77UM 65-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV with Gold Bezel

$2,879.94

Family Room ( daily TV program and DVD ):

Samsung UN55B7000 55-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV

$1,899.99

Sharp AQUOS LC60E77UN 60-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV with Gold Bezel

$1,997.00

Which one should I go for ? price vs picture quality ?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
65S1 easily for HT room

60" Sharp for family room because size over form any day

Why no plasma options for the family room lots of windows or something?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
The thought of a plasma in a sunny room makes me want to BARF!

Been there done that and NEVER again. Dirty peed on whites and glare/washout in a sunny room makes viewing dark content or gaming in a dark game hopeless and they are 24/7 MIRRORS.

Save your plasma for a CAVE!!! The SUN destroys plasma no matter how friggin cheap they make them a Sun filled room makes the viewing CRAP!!!

Wait for the 68" Sharp in May or audition the new Sony LED 60" arriving in the next few weeks. Plasma fanboys get bored over in the plasma section and trol constantly recommending plasma in LCD threads but having been an owner I think their crap viewing for sunny rooms and half a dozen other negative reasons - I would not place one in my room even if it were offered for FREE.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18164157

65S1 easily for HT room

60" Sharp for family room because size over form any day

Why no plasma options for the family room lots of windows or something?

For under 2k (seems like his budget it under 2k), you won't find a plasma better than the 55LH90.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel /forum/post/18164218

For under 2k (seems like his budget it under 2k), you won't find a plasma better than the 55LH90.

sure you will in fact cheaper

Panny 54 G10

if glare/brightness of a room and the slight chance of IR are of little concern most would say that the G10 will have better motion handling than the LH90 because technically it does at the pixel level unless you prefer what motion enhancers do to the picture vs the more natural motion seen on plasma

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18164312

sure you will in fact cheaper

Panny 54 G10

if glare/brightness of a room and the slight chance of IR are of little concern most would say that the G10 will have better motion handling than the LH90 because technically it does at the pixel level unless you prefer what motion enhancers do to the picture vs the more natural motion seen on plasma

The only thing the G10 has on the LH90 is better motion handling, but that's a given since almost any plasma will have better motion handling than an LCD. Outside of THX mode, the G10 has average color accuracy, decent RGB tracking, doesn't have proper 24Hz handling (48Hz is too low of a refresh rate which causes flickering), has a very poor anti-glare screen coating, and below average gamma... none of these things can be adjusted either because there's no gamma adjustment or a proper CMS. THX mode is good, but it's below 35fL which is not ideal for even a moderately lit room. The only comparable Plasma to the LH90 would be a V10 or a 9G Kuro. Chad B even rates the LH90 higher than the V10 (and 9G Kuro non-Elite) and considerably higher than the G10.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
westa6969, this might be hard for you to comprehend, but some people actually do own and/or have experience with and/or have interest in both plasma and LCD TVs. I don't think there is a rule that compels us to take sides and post in only one forum. The OP has a plasma on his list (for his "home theater room," BTW), so I hardly think it is out of bounds for us to recommend a plasma in this thread. And he never said that these are "sun filled rooms" or that his HT room would even be used during the day. Also, I'm not sure if you've noticed this or not, but there are an increasing number of LCDs with glossy, reflective screens (although they don't have the washout problem). Maybe you should resign yourself to the fact that not everyone has the same viewing environment or opinion that you do. No one here was trying to bully hlin88 into buying a plasma.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel /forum/post/18164358

The only thing the G10 has on the LH90 is better motion handling, but that's a given since almost any plasma will have better motion handling than an LCD. Outside of THX mode, the G10 has average color accuracy, decent RGB tracking, doesn't have proper 24Hz handling (48Hz is too low of a refresh rate which causes flickering), has a very poor anti-glare screen coating, and below average gamma... none of these things can be adjusted either because there's no gamma adjustment or a proper CMS. THX mode is good, but it's below 35fL which is not ideal for even a moderately lit room. The only comparable Plasma to the LH90 would be a V10 or a 9G Kuro. Chad B even rates the LH90 higher than the V10 (and 9G Kuro non-Elite) and considerably higher than the G10.

Yeah, its really a matter of opinion, myself personally having seen many 120hz LCD's and owned one briefly I dislike the artificial motion enhancement and prefer the more natural motion you get on a plasma even with a 3:2 pulldown and visible judder every once in awhile with movies its still better imho

besides color accuracy out of THX the G10 will give a better more natural looking picture than an LH90 imho because of the motion resolution but that is just my personal opinion, some people like MEMC enhancements I'm not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/18164392

westa6969, this might be hard for you to comprehend, but some people actually do own and/or have experience with and/or have interest in both plasma and LCD TVs. I don't think there is a rule that compels us to take sides and post in only one forum. The OP has a plasma on his list (for his "home theater room," BTW), so I hardly think it is out of bounds for us to recommend a plasma in this thread. And he never said that these are "sun filled rooms" or that his HT room would even be used during the day. Also, I'm not sure if you've noticed this or not, but there are an increasing number of LCDs with glossy, reflective screens (although they don't have the washout problem). Maybe you should resign yourself to the fact that not everyone has the same viewing environment or opinion that you do. No one here was trying to bully hlin88 into buying a plasma.

couldn't have said it better. having now owned a plasma I will be the first to say what LCD guys that have never owned a plasma say about glare and brightness is really pointless arguments for most peoples viewing environments.

there are obviously situations where an LCD will excel over a plasma due to the higher light output they are capable of but most peoples houses are not in a situation that would make a plasma too dim.

as for the glare/reflections its pretty simple if you want a TV that has alot of pop to the picture it has to have a glossy screen. its pretty much essential to producing the "pop". many mid to high end LCD's have glossy screens that have no AR filter and reflect much worse than plasmas with the AR filter.

lastly dirty whites sure LCD wins on that one but unless your using your TV as a computer monitor honestly when do you ever stare at a white screen on your TV?? true white is rarely displayed in TV/movies and when you have a plasma out of the store enviroment the whites look much better because you don't have 10 LCD's surrounding it that are brighter and whiter

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Well, to each his own. I'm not a fan of frame interpolation either, but I'll take better color accuracy, tighter RGB tracking, better gamma, far more adjustability in the user menu and far better anti-glare coating over better motion handling. And if you experience the black level rise in 11G/12G Panasonic Plasmas, then the LH90 even has better blacks. Now if we were comparing it to a V10, that's another story.

Personally, I never use glare as an argument against Plasma because most LCD's have glossy screens as well. But with Panasonic, their AR coating is so poor that it makes blacks look milky in brighter rooms.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the headache I have on the choice: plasma has better picture quality / motion effect / dark level, but use higher power / screen reflection / needes darker enviorment / heavy. While LCD has different disadventage too. It is hard to choose from.

The reason I might go with 65" plasma is because I don't use it on daily base, so power consumption is not a issue, the TV is in a sunny room, but there are wood shutters so it isn't too bright in great room. Since it is for home theator, so picture quality is more imporant for me here.

While the TV in family room will be the one we use everyday, several hours each day, and I might have to hang it over fire place, therefore plasma is not a option for me because of higher power consumption and heavier weight. So I will have to choose between LCD and LED, but I can't decide on which one to go for.

Thanks for your input and sharing.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlin88 /forum/post/18165271

That's the headache I have on the choice: plasma has better picture quality / motion effect / dark level, but use higher power / screen reflection / needes darker enviorment / heavy. While LCD has different disadventage too. It is hard to choose from.

The reason I might go with 65" plasma is because I don't use it on daily base, so power consumption is not a issue, the TV is in a sunny room, but there are wood shutters so it isn't too bright in great room. Since it is for home theator, so picture quality is more imporant for me here.

While the TV in family room will be the one we use everyday, several hours each day, and I might have to hang it over fire place, therefore plasma is not a option for me because of higher power consumption and heavier weight. So I will have to choose between LCD and LED, but I can't decide on which one to go for.

Thanks for your input and sharing.

sounds like LCD may be a better choice then but mounting above a fireplace is not an issue for plasma, our panny 50X1 is mounted on the wall above our fireplace, the wall above fireplaces still has wood studs in most houses and is secure enough to handle the extra weight in most cases, even if you had exposed brick all the way up it could be much more tricky but its going to be that way for either TV type anyways if that is the case.

good luck with the search and if you do go LCD the LH90 is going to be a much better choice than both of the models you initially picked out for the family room because its local dimming LED rather than the slim line gimmick of a LED LCD known as the B7000 that offers no improvement in actual picture over good CCFL models besides being slimmer and some lower power consumption

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlin88 /forum/post/18165271

I was tempted to say that you're being silly to worry about power consumption, but then I noticed that you live in Los Angeles. Rates in my area are only $0.0533 per kWh. I realize that they must be far higher in L.A. Nevertheless, the cost of a plasma shouldn't be too dire. Let's say that the difference between a 2010 plasma and a 2010 LED LCD in the 54/55" class would be 150 W.

0.15 kW * 6 hours * 365 days * $0.2 kWh = $65.70

I'm all about being green, and I'm all about saving money. But that's not an outrageous difference in cost for over 2,000 hours.

Putting the energy issue aside, how high will you be mounting the TV if it is above your fireplace? "Above the fireplace" always translates to me as "far above eye level." LCDs have absolutely horrid vertical viewing angles, so placing an LCD above eye level can significantly compromise PQ.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/18164033

Great Room - The plasma

Family Room - What about the 55LH90?

how about 55SV670U or 55ZV650U ? 55ZV650U is much cheaper than 55LH90 ( $1500 vs $2000 ), I think pq is similar.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
ZV650 is CCFL backlit. Picture may be similar, but blacks will be considerably better on the 670U (LED backlit). The SV670U has poor viewing angles compared to the LH90. If you're mounting above eye level though, I would consider going plasma. As I mentioned earlier, Panasonic has a poor anti-reflective coating though, so if it's going in a brighter room, blacks will look milky if the room is bright. You might want to consider going with a Samsung PN58B650; it can be found for under 2k. Make sure you get the Plasma though... PN=Plasma, LN=LCD. The 6-Series Samsung has a darker anti-reflective coating so blacks will look... blacker in a bright room compared to say, a 5-Series Samsung or a Panasonic Plasma. If it's only slightly above eye level, or if you're going to be sitting further than 9-10', I would still recommend the LH90.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel /forum/post/18168407

ZV650 is CCFL backlit. Picture may be similar, but blacks will be considerably better on the 670U (LED backlit). The SV670U has poor viewing angles compared to the LH90. If you're mounting above eye level though, I would consider going plasma. As I mentioned earlier, Panasonic has a poor anti-reflective coating though, so if it's going in a brighter room, blacks will look milky if the room is bright. You might want to consider going with a Samsung PN58B650; it can be found for under 2k. Make sure you get the Plasma though... PN=Plasma, LN=LCD. The 6-Series Samsung has a darker anti-reflective coating so blacks will look... blacker in a bright room compared to say, a 5-Series Samsung or a Panasonic Plasma. If it's only slightly above eye level, or if you're going to be sitting further than 9-10', I would still recommend the LH90.

Thanks a lot for your input, my family room is bright with several windows and sliding door, that's why I considered LCD instead of plasma.

I have not decided if I should place the TV above fireplace since the viewing angel is too high, or place it on the corner ( too small for 52" or bigger and can't view from breakfast nook ), or maybe just place it in the front of fire place ( will cover fire place so it is the last choice ). TV placement in family room is my biggest headache, I have checked with many friends but no solution

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/18164216

The thought of a plasma in a sunny room makes me want to BARF!

Been there done that and NEVER again. Dirty peed on whites and glare/washout in a sunny room makes viewing dark content or gaming in a dark game hopeless and they are 24/7 MIRRORS.

Save your plasma for a CAVE!!! The SUN destroys plasma no matter how friggin cheap they make them a Sun filled room makes the viewing CRAP!!!

Wait for the 68" Sharp in May or audition the new Sony LED 60" arriving in the next few weeks. Plasma fanboys get bored over in the plasma section and trol constantly recommending plasma in LCD threads but having been an owner I think their crap viewing for sunny rooms and half a dozen other negative reasons - I would not place one in my room even if it were offered for FREE.

Amen, Allen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel /forum/post/18168601

You can always buy a wall mount kit with a tilt/swivel arm and angle it downwards. A lot of people mount above the fireplace.

edit: one of these should do.
mount 1
mount 2
mount 3

Thanks for the info, I checked the mounting kit before, but you still have to raise your head to watch the TV even with the wall mounting kit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts