AVS Forum banner

Which one?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all of the recently released $1k subs in the past few months, I have seen lots of folks inquiring about the best ported sub within $1k range. In order to help these potential buyers, I would like to start a poll on these subs based solely on performance/features and data posted by these ID manufacturers as there is no databass review/numbers on them yet. Hopefully we will see Ricci's numbers on them in the near future. The FVX15 is 2 to 2.5db down across the board from the FV15hp per Rythmik as there is a problem getting to the spec on Rythmik website. What would you buy and explain why? Try not to be a fanboy for any of these particular manufacturers. Thanks for participating.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Tough poll to recommend one of these unless you own or auditioned them all. Even tougher when some of them haven't even been made yet.:eek:

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I have a spreadsheet at work comparing all ID ported subs from $800 - $1400 currently in the market, using numbers from DATABASS and the manufacturer's sites, and adjusted with bias (some manufacturer tend overstate their numbers). I then average the CEA-2010 max burst numbers at 8 different frequencies (16, 20, 25, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, and 80 Hz).

If I remember correctly,

Reaction Audio Echo 15 ($950) is very close to FV15HP and no more than 0.3 dB from Rythmik FV15HP
Hsu VTF15-MK2 ($1008) is - 1.0 dB from Rythmik FV15HP
PSA V1500 ($1050) is +/- 0.2 dB from Hsu VTF15-MK2
FVX15 ($999) is -2.0 ~ -2.5 dB from Rythmik FV15HP

Therefore, Echo 15 > VTF15-MK2 >/= PSA V1500 > FVX15.
One thing I would like to point out that people seem to be forgetting is that for the VTF-MK2 to acheive 16hz one of it's ports has to be plugged. The FV15HP can achieve this with both ports open, so I would guess that above 20hz that 1db gap gets wider in favor of the FV15HP. Yes, when boths subs have a port plugged they are fairly close in performance although the Rythmik digs quite a bit deeper. With that said, the HSU is still a beast of a sub at $1000.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
I would want to see them tested at data-bass or something like that before making pronouncements of their respective performance. They would all seem to be close though.

·
Registered
14,315 Posts
One thing I would like to point out that people seem to be forgetting is that for the VTF-MK2 to acheive 16hz one of it's ports has to be plugged. The FV15HP can achieve this with both ports open, so I would guess that above 20hz that 1db gap gets wider in favor of the FV15HP. Yes, when boths subs have a port plugged they are fairly close in performance although the Rythmik digs quite a bit deeper. With that said, the HSU is still a beast of a sub at $1000.
Are you sure the Rythmik digs deeper? The HSU goes down to 12hz in 1 port just like the Rythmik 2m rms. 95.5db(adding 2db to the MK1 numbers) vs 98db. I agree the FV15 has the advantage down in the bottom octaves

Brian should of built a FV18HP to compete with the Echo 18 and Cap 1400.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Are you sure the Rythmik digs deeper? The HSU goes down to 12hz in 1 port just like the Rythmik 2m rms. 95.5db(adding 2db to the MK1 numbers) vs 98db. I agree the FV15 has the advantage down in the bottom octaves

Brian should of built a FV18HP to compete with the Echo 18 and Cap 1400.
It's been recommended to him a few times and he thinks that an FV18HP would be too damn big. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I used VTF15H-MK2's 1 port numbers from Hsu's site and FV15HP's 1 port numbers from DATABASS to compile my spreadsheet.

FYI, VTF15H-MK2 can also do 98.6 dB @ 16Hz in 2 port mode (1 port mode 102.3 dB, 2 port mode 98.6 dB). @ 20Hz in 1 port mode, FV15HP has a 1.2 dB advantage over VTF15H-MK2.

And why do you have to defend your FV15HPs every time I said that VTF15HMK2 is about 1dB from FV15HP?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I used VTF15H-MK2's 1 port numbers from Hsu's site and FV15HP's 1 port numbers from DATABASS to compile my spreadsheet.

FYI, VTF15H-MK2 can also do 98.6 dB @ 16Hz in 2 port mode (1 port mode 102.3 dB, 2 port mode 98.6 dB). @ 20Hz in 1 port mode, FV15HP has a 1.2 dB advantage over VTF15H-MK2.

And why do you have to defend your FV15HPs every time I said that VTF15HMK2 is within 1dB from FV15HP?
I explained my reasoning above for responding to your post. It's a little misleading to people who don't know any better. I didn't bash on the HSU in fact I said it was a great sub....

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I explained my reasoning above for responding to your post. It's a little misleading to people who don't know any better. I didn't bash on the HSU in fact I said it was a great sub....
Your reasoning above from what you think you know about Hsu's performance @ 16Hz is wrong. I explained how I came up with my numbers.

FYI, I don't own any subs yet so I do not favor any company. However, I love doing number crunching with spreadsheet and I am huge on bang for the buck.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Your reasoning above from what you think you know about Hsu's performance @ 16Hz is wrong. I explained how I came up with my numbers.

FYI, I don't own any subs yet so I do not favor any company. However, I love doing number crunching with spreadsheet and I am huge on bang for the buck.
I think your numbers might be a little off. You say that the MK2 puts down 98.6db at 16hz with both ports open. The FV15HP puts down about 102.1db with both ports open. You do the math.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I think your numbers might be a little off. You say that the MK2 puts down 98.6db at 16hz with both ports open. The FV15HP puts down about 102.1db with both ports open. You do the math.
Yes, @ 16hz 2 port mode, VTF-15H MK2 does 98.6 dB and FV15HP does 102.1 dB.

No, my numbers are not off. The average of the CEA-2010 max burst numbers at 8 different frequencies (16, 20, 25, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, and 80 Hz) @ 1 PORT MODE, FV15HP is +1 dB from VTF-15H MK2.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,269 Posts

Once you are within a dB, we might as well say the output is about the same due to variables in testing. However, if you are trying to be as accurate as possible in regards to posted data, you might want to subtract 1 dB from the FV15HP's output numbers on data-bass, since it was tested with the limiter disengaged.

Reactions: oneeyeblind

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,269 Posts
Reactions: lovinthehd and muzz

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Once you are within a dB, we might as well say the output is about the same due to variables in testing. However, if you are trying to be as accurate as possible in regards to posted data, you might want to subtract 1 dB from the FV15HP's output numbers on data-bass, since it was tested with the limiter disengaged.
And upset JT78681 even more??? I will pass... :p

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree it's hard to pick unless one has heard them all. Having owned the Vtf15h for 4 years I can say Hsu makes a stellar sub for the $1000 mark, and I think it's safe to say the the new mk2 is even more stellar no question about it. But I'm not a big numbers guy I'm more of a by the ear kinda guy and I'll say this, If the new Rythmik is anything like the Fv15hp that's sitting in my theater room your in for pure ear sex 😃. It never stops amazing me how clean , hard hitting, and what seems to be a bottomless pit off lfe this sub can pump out flawlessly. I kid you not there are movies with super low lfe that I re watch and it's like hearing them for the first time again. It's crazy how low some of these movies are that you don't realize what your missing until you have a sub that can hit that low. But to be fair the echo 15 doesn't look like a slouch, it looks to be a monster for sure! I'm sure everyone is eager to see numbers for that one. And PSA...well let's be honest, when your the OG of SVS Ultra...nuff said ;)

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
This thread is going the wrong direction. I would add a option to the poll "too close to call".
I agree with this. I think one needs to pick the company they like the best, perhaps the finish they like most, warranty, customer service etc etc. Any of these subs in room after eq would probably be indistinguishable from one another.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree with this. I think one needs to pick the company they like the best, perhaps the finish they like most, warranty, customer service etc etc. Any of these subs in room after eq would probably be indistinguishable from one another.
Completely agree! At the end of the day it's boils down to the most important thing, what sound good TO YOU.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
You should be frequenting the DIY forums then :)
Yes, of course.

If you want many subs in a dedicated HT, then yes. DIY can save you a lot of $$$. However, most people want just 1 sub that does not look like a crate in their family room.

Once you factor in the material cost, plus all the tools, trial and error, skill set and your time ( not just in building but also in doing research and learning), DIY is not that easy. Besides, you need the space to do it.

Heck, it's like oil change. It is easy to do but how many people actually do their own oil change?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts