AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys here's the deal need a little guidance

Just sold my Klipsch Quintet, old Kenwood sub and Onkyo receiver and looking for replacement speakers already bought a receiver. I have been on the forum researching speakers for about a week. I know listening to the speakers in person is best. Just wanted to get some opinions on the following speaker systems I have narrowed it down to.


It will be for a home theater that will be used mostly for cable TV, Xbox 360, wii, PS3and movies connected to an Onkyo 605 receiver and a 46" Aquos. My room is 26'x21' with 9' ceilings



Here are the systems with price:


1)

4 Athena - LS-100 Bookshelf Speakers

1 Athena - LS-100 Center Speaker

2 Athena - LS-500 Tower Speaker

about $750 shipped or $1150 with Velodyne VRP-1200 shipped



2)

SVS SCS-01 L/R/C with SBS-01 surrounds
$950 + shipping still waiting for price with there sub



3)

eD 6T6 L/R/C with 5T5 surrounds 5TC bookshelfs for rears
$1200 with A3-300 sub shipped some surrounds and rears not available till mid FEb.




Sub is going to be either:

Velodyne - VRP-1200 - 12" Subwoofer, SVS PB-12 NSD or ed A3-300 sub. Leaning more towards the eD and SVS.


So what do you guys think of these three systems? If it was up to you which would you go with? Have heard good things about eD and SVS. Want to keep it under $1500. Also open to suggestions on other setups.


Any advice is greatly appreciated


Thanks

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCranium /forum/post/12885785


OK guys here's the deal need a little guidance

Just sold my Klipsch Quintet, old Kenwood sub and Onkyo receiver and looking for replacement speakers already bought a receiver. I have been on the forum researching speakers for about a week. I know listening to the speakers in person is best. Just wanted to get some opinions on the following speaker systems I have narrowed it down to.


It will be for a home theater that will be used mostly for cable TV, Xbox 360, wii, PS3and movies connected to an Onkyo 605 receiver and a 46" Aquos. My room is 26'x21' with 9' ceilings



Here are the systems with price:


1)

4 Athena - LS-100 Bookshelf Speakers

1 Athena - LS-100 Center Speaker

2 Athena - LS-500 Tower Speaker

about $750 shipped or $1150 with Velodyne VRP-1200 shipped



2)

SVS SCS-01 L/R/C with SBS-01 surrounds
$950 + shipping still waiting for price with there sub



3)

eD 6T6 L/R/C with 5T5 surrounds 5TC bookshelfs for rears
$1200 with A3-300 sub shipped some surrounds and rears not available till mid FEb.




Sub is going to be either:

Velodyne - VRP-1200 - 12" Subwoofer, SVS PB-12 NSD or ed A3-300 sub. Leaning more towards the eD and SVS.


So what do you guys think of these three systems? If it was up to you which would you go with? Have heard good things about eD and SVS. Want to keep it under $1500. Also open to suggestions on other setups.


Any advice is greatly appreciated


Thanks

Jason

I haven't heard any of the speakers, but I would stick with the athenas, and maybe go for an ED sub. Just because when I think ED I think subs not speakers, and SVS
~G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
If it means anything I chose the eD package. Almost exactly what you have listed. I went for :


L/R: A6 6t6 towers

C: A6 6t6 mtm

Surrounds: Moved my old fronts

Sub: A3-300 w/upgraded speaker


So far I only have the mtm, but it sounds pretty good. It is a large speaker for a center.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Try Acculine. They are an excellent speaker for the money. I had the Athena's and they don't compare with the Acculine's. You can get a full system for $1100 os so. I just bought three A2's which is an LCR speaker. Total price was $587 shipped. If you go with the A1 they are $249 a pair. The center speaker is $179 and the sub is $279. One of the best speakers for movies available. Also consider the AV123 Encore line as well. Both have great products and are great people to work with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid /forum/post/12892329


Try Acculine. They are an excellent speaker for the money. I had the Athena's and they don't compare with the Acculine's. You can get a full system for $1100 os so. I just bought three A2's which is an LCR speaker. Total price was $587 shipped. If you go with the A1 they are $249 a pair. The center speaker is $179 and the sub is $279. One of the best speakers for movies available. Also consider the AV123 Encore line as well. Both have great products and are great people to work with.

Can you reccomend a place to buy Acculine's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
I dont think the Onkyo 605 will drive 4 ohm speakers. I considered the Acculine but they are rated 4 ohm... I could be wrong, may want to check.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma1 /forum/post/12895213


I dont think the Onkyo 605 will drive 4 ohm speakers. I considered the Acculine but they are rated 4 ohm... I could be wrong, may want to check.

Thanks Kuma I will have to check into it they look like nice speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid /forum/post/12899256


Onkyo websites states that it that 605 is certified for 4 ohm performance.
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=f


Umm... I see a red check next to 6 ohm, but not 4 ohm.


I was a bit taken back on how my 505, it looks the same for the 605, are 6 ohm rated. They rate them as 6 ohm at 1Khz. Im very novice at this, I think though that its best with these two recievers to stay with an 8 ohm speaker? Sorry to derail your thread, I know its about speakers



With that, I personally am looking at buying Infinity Beta series. They get great reviews, pretty efficient/good match for our recievers, and have very good prices due to being discontinued.


Towers: Beta 40 or 50 - $400 and $500 a pr

center c250 or c360 - $129 and $229 each

sorrounds: 10 or 20 - $90 and $120 each

sub: ed, hsu...


Pending your budget, you could pass on front towers. Although, with your large room, the towers would be incredible.


http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...es250_sw12.htm

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...8_1594crx.aspx

http://reviews.cnet.com/separate-spe...tag=prod.txt.1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
The red check mark is a line above


Channels 7

Power (8ohms 20-20kHz 0.08%) /Ch 90W

Power (8ohms 20-20kHz 0.05%) /Ch -

THX Certified -

Continuous 6ohms Rated
Certified 4ohms performance -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid /forum/post/12901942


The red check mark is a line above


Channels 7

Power (8ohms 20-20kHz 0.08%) /Ch 90W

Power (8ohms 20-20kHz 0.05%) /Ch -

THX Certified -

Continuous 6ohms Rated
Certified 4ohms performance -


I think the confusions lies in the " - " place holder.


If what you say is true then my 505 is also 4 ohm rated - I wish it were. This also holds true for THX certified. If you look at the 705 it is THX certified and has a red check mark next to THX and also the THX logo is listed on the main page - just like the 805 - unlike the 605 and 505...


Also, if you look at the 805 features, it has a red check next to the 4 ohm certified, unlike the 505, 605 and 705.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma1 /forum/post/12901607


Umm... I see a red check next to 6 ohm, but not 4 ohm.


I was a bit taken back on how my 505, it looks the same for the 605, are 6 ohm rated. They rate them as 6 ohm at 1Khz. Im very novice at this, I think though that its best with these two recievers to stay with an 8 ohm speaker? Sorry to derail your thread, I know its about speakers



With that, I personally am looking at buying Infinity Beta series. They get great reviews, pretty efficient/good match for our recievers, and have very good prices due to being discontinued.


Towers: Beta 40 or 50 - $400 and $500 a pr

center c250 or c360 - $129 and $229 each

sorrounds: 10 or 20 - $90 and $120 each

sub: ed, hsu...


Pending your budget, you could pass on front towers. Although, with your large room, the towers would be incredible.


http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...es250_sw12.htm

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...8_1594crx.aspx

http://reviews.cnet.com/separate-spe...tag=prod.txt.1


Checked out the Infinity's, very good and great prices but have a question on the bookshelfs and surrounds:


What do you think of the Beta ES250 surround speakers? Read that one pair can be used for surrounds and rears have you heard anything about them?


Also with bookshelfs and surrounds do they need to be placed against a wall, I can put the surrounds against the wall but not rears.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top