13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after some readings and price checking, my options are narrowed down to:

A) Yamaha RX-V471

B) Onkyo TX-SR508

C) Pioneer 821-K

D) Sony DTR-720 / DH-810

Please note:

I intend to use the receiver with 5.1 satellaite system (Energy Take-Classic 5.1). My TV is DLNA capable (LG 42inch LD 650), so I assume won't benefit from the DLNA features (or am I?). It isn't a low-end TV, so I guess it has decent upscaling/upconversion capabilities, but I don't really know.

The most important thing is music quality. After that, home cinema audio quality.

I'll probably play compressed music (.mp3 etc.) via the DLNA client, so a compressed music enhancer is a useful feature. I guess I'll sometime use headphones, so good headphones processing is a nice bonus too.

Finally, durability is important, as I'll probably won't have a valid warranty (I buy it in a different place from where I live).

What do you recommend?

(If you have other ideas, I'm open to suggestions).

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/20885052

So, after some readings and price checking, my options are narrowed down to:

A) Yamaha_RX-V471

B) Onkyo TX-SR508

C) Pioneer 821-K

D) Sony DTR-720 / DH-810

Please note:

I intend to use the receiver with 5.1 satellaite system (Energy Take-Classic 5.1). My TV is DLNA capable (LG 42inch LD 650), so I assume won't benefit from the DLNA features (or am I?). It isn't a low-end TV, so I guess it has decent upscaling/upconversion capabilities, but I don't really know.

The most important thing is music quality. After that, home cinema audio quality.

Finally, durability is important, as I'll probably won't have a valid warranty (I buy it in a different place from where I live).

What do you recommend?

(If you have other ideas, I'm open to suggestions).

Well... not to upset any Onkyo owners, but since you indicate the unit you will be buying will not have a valid warranty... I'd stay clear of the Onkyo TX-SR508 (and 608 for that matter) (See Ratings) . Years ago Onkyo couldn't be beat. They offered awesome feature sets at prices lower than anyone... and developed a dedicated following. Most all of the Onkyo units tend to run hot but the happy Onkyo owners did not consider that to be a big issue. However... in the last year or so there have been a lot of reported issues with Onkyos failing and dying HDMI ports among other things.

Along this same train of thought... because you say there will probably be no valid warranty... I'd probably also steer clear of the Sony DH810 (see ratings) and Sony TRD720 (see ratings) for the same reasons.

The Yamaha_RX-V471 doesn't really have enough history to make a informed decision.

Personally... based on the price range of the receivers you've already indicated indicated... and if possible, you would be better off looking for one of last years discontinued models. In that way you get a higher end receiver for the same price range. If that's an option, then for music I'd suggest seeing if you could locate a Denon AVR-1911 . A close second to the 1911 would be the Yamaha RX-V667 it has a stong feature set with tons of connections for both HDMI and Legacy.

As far as upscaling... "none" of the receivers you indicated nor any of the ones I suggested will do a good job upscaling. Most of todays current generation TV's and Blu-Ray players will do a much better job so its better to let them do the upscaling. If you want the receiver to do it you'd have to move into a higher end receiver like the Yamaha RX-A2000 or similar unit with good upscaling components and chipssets before you would see a benefit to upscaling in a receiver.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would buy the one with the best features and warranty. I'm not confident there will be a big difference in sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.