AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been avoiding online play for a long time but have the urge to get back into it a little. The only FPS I have on the PS3 is Resistance. If I wanted to pick up something with a good size community what should I grab? I have never played COD 4 but with MW2 coming out this year I assume that will kill those off soon. How is Resistance 2 or Killzone 2? Anything else to look for?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So.. what you guys are saying is that all those are good choices! Good deal. I may pick up 1943 then see if I end up with any gift cards on my birthday and pick up another one. Leaning toward COD4 or KZ2 as they seem to have much less DLC that you need to buy.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami /forum/post/16970530

bf 1943 only 15 dollars fun game and will hold you over for a couple of months... better online play IMO then both K2 and R2

BF43 is a great hold over, but saying it has better gameplay then KZ2 is ludicrous IMO.

KZ2 is a much superior FPS. It's also more involved, so it'll take a little effort to rank up, and get good with the weapons, but there's still plenty of new players every week and there is match making to put you in games with similar rank people, so you'll be all set. I also love the rolling gameplay types in each map, as it mixes it up. You'll start out with Body count, then it dynamically will go to VIP protection, cap and hold, bomb, ect.

43' is fun, but pretty shallow. It's a great game to jump in for a few minutes if you know you can't play long, and is fine to play for longer periods, but I tend to lose interest in it faster then I do KZ2. It's also buggier and can be frustrating with the lack of VC, lag, and glitches.

Don't get me wrong, for $15 I love my purchase. Just that it is a $15 game, so just expect that going in.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If you want a Battlefield game, from what I've heard Battlfield Bad Company is better than 1943, and can be bought used for just a few dollors more. Plus BC has a single player campain too.

My personal favorite FPS is easily KZ2. the rolling game modes rock!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking for Bad company and no one had it yesterday on the PS3 they all had the 360 version. I have the 360 but I have been too cheap to buy a HD for it yet so that prevents me from downloading anything so most of the FPS that require map packs are out.

I now wish you could change your PSN name though, I used one my SO liked as we bought the PS3 together when we were first dating, and at the time I didn't play at all online. I know you can create a new acct, but I don't really want to mess up my PSN games I already have.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdmrklcy /forum/post/16974271

I was looking for Bad company and no one had it yesterday on the PS3 they all had the 360 version. I have the 360 but I have been too cheap to buy a HD for it yet so that prevents me from downloading anything so most of the FPS that require map packs are out.

I now wish you could change your PSN name though, I used one my SO liked as we bought the PS3 together when we were first dating, and at the time I didn't play at all online. I know you can create a new acct, but I don't really want to mess up my PSN games I already have.

you would still be able to play all your PSN games using your new account, as long as you don't delete your old account from your PS3.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are the team modes played a lot still in KZ2 or COD4? I forgot to mention I did hop on Resistance 1 last night, not all that popular it seems any more, a lot of server just had odd rules. I was not expecting anything really just was bored and wanted to try it out. I am downloading the demos for bad company and KZ2 at home so I will check them out and go from there. After I get used to it, I will have to look some people up to play with.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdmrklcy /forum/post/16974687

Are the team modes played a lot still in KZ2 or COD4? I forgot to mention I did hop on Resistance 1 last night, not all that popular it seems any more, a lot of server just had odd rules. I was not expecting anything really just was bored and wanted to try it out. I am downloading the demos for bad company and KZ2 at home so I will check them out and go from there. After I get used to it, I will have to look some people up to play with.

KZ2 Yes, they're the default. But if you so choose, you can filter and find only one round type, or pick and choose servers, or create your own. Most of everything is considered a ranked match, even custom set up matches.

Most games are the default 5 game rounds.

there's also a few AVS clans that play it recreationally often so you don't always have to play with RiffRaft.

As for COD4, unless you can get it at a bargain price, just wait for COD:MW2. Same gameplay, and I expect to find COD4's players to jump ship immediately when it comes around. They're a fickle bunch.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Kz2 for sure. There is some learning curve with the controls (that usually drive people away) but once you get use to it, you'll love it.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
This close to the holiday season I would say 1943. That will hold you over until the new ones come out for cheap. Its always great to be there at the begining of a new FPS. So spend $15 on a great little title and then invest in one of the AAA holiday shooters.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I get into it again, I will pick up one of the upcoming ones as well I am sure. I am just being cheap right now as I just spent a lot on a receiver and speakers. Have to keep a low profile for a month or two as to not piss off the boss.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/16974486

LOL thats like saying Fat Princess is better than KZ2.

It is

KZ2 got annoying for me after the first few weeks it was out, all the ribbon abilities are so cheezy and I just couldn't stand the rocket spam and sniper scanning (dumbest thing ever). Yes I know I can join servers without rockets but the whole game in my opinion got old really fast. The wonky controls and douchy cheese players got on my nerves. I was a good player too, so I'm not whining about the controls at all, just didn't like the gameplay. Maybe if I played with people that didn't suck it would be better.

Battlefield Bad company is still my favorite online shooter for the PS3, and you can't go wrong with 1943 which has its issues, but its a lot of fun still.

COD4 was awful trash for noobs!

I still enjoy Resistance 2 Co-Op multiplayer, its good, mindless fun and with the Superhuman co-op mode, it actually makes the game challenging and much more intense!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts