AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering which Oppo player works best with the Westinghouse LVM-42w2. The 981HD outputs 1080P and the Westy accepts 1080P so it seems like a natural fit but maybe there are issues I am not aware of. Also I read that the Westy has the same Farouja chip as the Oppo 981 so couldn't I use a standard DVD player and let the Westy do the upscaling and get the same results?

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /forum/post/0

Just wondering which Oppo player works best with the Westinghouse LVM-42w2. The 981HD outputs 1080P and the Westy accepts 1080P so it seems like a natural fit but maybe there are issues I am not aware of. Also I read that the Westy has the same Farouja chip as the Oppo 981 so couldn't I use a standard DVD player and let the Westy do the upscaling and get the same results?

I have the Oppo 981 and the LVM-37w3. Works great.

"Same results": well, that depends on your expectations and how fanatical you are about your DVDs. In my opinion it is best to do the deinterlacing and scaling in one place, in the dvd player. The Oppo is excellent at both.The display does a decent job of scaling 480p input, but I can see the difference between a 480p signal and a 1080p signal. Not night and day, but enough that I want it.

Remember: DVDs are recorded at 480i. Good scaling can produce a remarkably fine image from a well-mastered disk, but it will never truly be HD.

-Bill

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/0

I have the Oppo 981 and the LVM-37w3. Works great.

"Same results": well, that depends on your expectations and how fanatical you are about your DVDs. In my opinion it is best to do the deinterlacing and scaling in one place, in the dvd player. The Oppo is excellent at both.The display does a decent job of scaling 480p input, but I can see the difference between a 480p signal and a 1080p signal. Not night and day, but enough that I want it.

Remember: DVDs are recorded at 480i. Good scaling can produce a remarkably fine image from a well-mastered disk, but it will never truly be HD.

-Bill

Yah I have a 970HD for my 50PX60U which looks great but the 1080i signal and 1080i input make the perfect match there. I figured the 980HD would be the best with the Westy as it doesn't have to perform any signal conversions, I just wanted to hear it from a Westy + 980HD owner. Thanks bro!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.