AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read several threads about this, but nothing seemed to fit for what I'm doing. I've put together a pc using a norco 4020 case, and now I'm trying to decide which OS to go with. I originally planned to use WHS due to the backup features and the ability to access my data remotely, but this pc is going to be mounted in another room so I could easily run an HDMI cable to my AV receiver (so I won't have to deal with the noise, and she is LOUD). So now I'm wondering if I should use vista so I can run media center. I suppose I could setup each client pc to run backups to a vista machine automatically, but what about the remote access? My primary requirement is use for backups and file storage, but being able to play my media directly from the media server would be great!

Any suggestions? Pros/Cons? Does Vista support large amounts of disk space? Is it possible to configure Vista to store files on multiple drives that appear transparent to the client pcs (if my DVD collection is too big to fit on one disk, can Vista share multiple folders that appear to be only one to network clients)?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I use WinXP Pro 64 and it works great, easy to use and powerful, I also have Server 2003.... I wouldnt use either WHS or Vista for a server...

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Why wouldn't you use WHS? if all you are looking for is a good, easy to use, clean file server that gets you added benefits like My Movies centralized server, auto backups, auto off line backups, and other added benefits from the addon's you can get with WHS why wouldn't it be a good solution?

There is also the TV manager plugin's are great for HTPC use.

Edit: to the OP are you looking for a media "streaming" to your home theater system? or you looking for a storage solution that "serves" the data to a device connected to your home theater system?

- Josh

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ideally I would like to connect an HDMI cable to my TV and my server and play my stored DVD's without having to stream to another device. The way I understand it now, there are no front ends compatible with WHS. The only reason for leaning towards media center is I'm already familiar with it.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
well WHS is a storage solution ONLY, its not meant to be used at a HTPC directly connected to a TV/Display.

So no matter what you'll need a front end of sorts to use.

Media center is just a gui interface, if all you want to do is build a vista machine, connect up a bunch of hdd's and then directly connect the system to your display that is perfectly acceptable, but then its not really a storage solution either.

The reason I like WHS is that you get all your drives pooled up into one share, so say you have 2TB's of dripped dvd's like I do, that span across multiple drives, you'd then have to point media center to each shared drive to pull in all those dvd's and they wouldn't be fluid to scroll through the movies because they are separated by each hdd.

WHS adds all the drives together and presents it as one single shared folder even though the files themselves might be spanned across multiple hdd's.

so if all your looking for is more of a front end, then go the latter route, and skip whs.

- Josh

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx /forum/post/15509881

Edit: to the OP are you looking for a media "streaming" to your home theater system? or you looking for a storage solution that "serves" the data to a device connected to your home theater system?

- Josh

Just out of curiosity, what is the main difference between media "streaming" and media "serving"? (This is an honest question).

As an example, I have an HTPC that I use to play my media, and another box that does nothing but store all of my media files. With Vista on the storage box, I would set up a shared folder and map to that folder on my HTPC. With WHS, are you saying it would be different?

·
Registered
68 Posts
J_P_A - I have two VMC machines

VMC1 is a 4U 6Drive noisy boy - this is in a spare room with a 7M HDMI to a screen

in the main bedroom - it runs My Movies - no problem - all movies accessible from

the MyMovies front-end

VMC2 is smaller, quiet, and rammed full of tuners and lives in the living room

This runs MYMovies client that picks up the movie data from VMC1 - no problems

all movies accessible from the MyMovies front-end

As you say - why use WHS - just use VMC and get a free "zone"

(Is the WHS team paying commission to some users on here)

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier240 /forum/post/15955919

Just out of curiosity, what is the main difference between media "streaming" and media "serving"? (This is an honest question).

As an example, I have an HTPC that I use to play my media, and another box that does nothing but store all of my media files. With Vista on the storage box, I would set up a shared folder and map to that folder on my HTPC. With WHS, are you saying it would be different?

Streaming for me is sending live content. So say you have a "server" with tuner cards or a HTPC with tuner cards and then extenders at other locations, you are "streaming" that live tv in real time.

That is why I asked the question on what the purposes were.

Quote:

I wish, I honestly do for as much as I promote it. If you don't run it, and have a main system hdd failure, you just don't understand how valuable it is. Also the added benefits of being a stable, reliable OS (server 2003), additional add-ins, and just how it manages and stores, and shares your files.

- Josh

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx /forum/post/15956700

Streaming for me is sending live content. So say you have a "server" with tuner cards or a HTPC with tuner cards and then extenders at other locations, you are "streaming" that live tv in real time.

That is why I asked the question on what the purposes were.

OK, I reread all of the posts and get what you are saying. At first, I thought you were saying that media from WHS was streaming to other devices, which is how I got tangled in the semantics.

All WHS affords is a centralized repository for all of your files, unless I am missing something. And so, regardless of if you are using an HTPC, XBOX, etc at your TV, that device is still simply just reading a file that is stored in a remote location (on WHS).

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinePhil /forum/post/15956224

As you say - why use WHS - just use VMC and get a free "zone"

I ended up going with WHS because my primary goal with the new PC was for backup of the family computers, and I liked the fact that folders can span multiple drives. So my wife can have one folder for all of her pictures, but it may be located on multiple drives if one is not large enough.

unfortunately, WHS works really well as a home server, but not so good for playing media (it really wasn't built of it I suppose). So, it looks like I will have to add more hardware to get my video to my TV. I'm looking at another HTPC or some other solution (popcorn hour, SageTV, etc.).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah - swings and roundabout I guess - I also like WHS (The auto blu-ray rip

from mymovies looks great) and as a home server its a good simple solution

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A /forum/post/15957494

unfortunately, WHS works really well as a home server, but not so good for playing media (it really wasn't built of it I suppose). So, it looks like I will have to add more hardware to get my video to my TV. I'm looking at another HTPC or some other solution (popcorn hour, SageTV, etc.).

welll WHS is meant to be a headless unit, stuck in a corner and not directly connected to anything cept power and data.

- Josh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts