AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For people who are in the DC/Md/NoVa area and receiving OTA HDTV, what antenna do you recommend? I live in the Lorton area and the HDTV will be in the basement. I've heard that reception for an interior antenna will be iffy. I'm not sure about the housing ordinance for an exterior antenna and need to check on that.

Any suggestions on hardware and installers?

Thanks,

Tim

------------------

Yes sir, I'd like to increase my credit limit!?

IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE SEEING HDTV, BAN HDCP, DVI, 5C!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Over the past 2 years, there have been several extended threads addressing this very same issue. Try doing a search for "Washington" or "DC" and you'll get lots of good info and recommendations.

By the way, Federal law essentially prohibits local jurisdictions or home owner associations from prohibiting the use of over the air antennas. The FCC's web site can provide you with the necessary details (search www.fcc.gov for "OTAR" which stands for over the air reception).

·
Registered
33 Posts
There's nothing magic about DTV signals. If you can get decent UHF reception, you'll be okay. You're correct that an indoor antenna is unlikely to work. Check out www.antennaweb.org for information on antennas and line-of-sight calculations. I live in Falls Church, and I'm using a Radio Shack VHF/UHF rooftop antenna with a rotator and a Winegard UHF preamp, and I get all the DC stations just fine, and some Baltimore stations as well!

[This message has been edited by Steve in VA (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Antenna.org said that if I wanted to pick up the stations in Baltimore that I would need a medium powered directional antenna with no pre-amplification. If I only wanted to get the DC stations then a low powered non-directional antenna is all that is necessary. I'm not sure what a medium powered antenna would be, but the site said look for a red tag on the box.

In Lorton, all DC and Baltimore stations are practically along the same line. The PBS and Fox station in anapolis is a little further off-line, but I might still be able to get them.

------------------

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tim

I'm on Fairfax County Pkwy just north of Lorton. My 21 year old medium sized rooftop would get DC stations OK, nothing from Baltimore. It blew down, replaced it with Winegard PR 3072 UHF/VHF (Red I believe). OK for DC, but had to add AP8700 Winegard preamp to get Baltimore, a requirement for me because WJLA 7 must be the worst DTV (4:3, no HD, not even passthrough)in the US and I wanted to see ABC lineup in HD.

Get a rotor, I use the 9527 Channelmaster IR rotor (yet another remote controller)- you'll be glad you have it -getting the 60 mile distant Bal. stations requires precise pointing. If they were broadcasting in full power, might be OK, but who knows when that will happen. ABC balt (2) is at 16 degrees, 45 fox at 35d and Annapolis at 80d. You can't get them without pointing. Local channel 66 is broadcasting 4 digital channels, and you'll have to swing around to the Nwest to see them. By the way, you can't use your current reception to judge your likelyhood of getting DTV -I can barely get channel 45 but their DTV signal is loud and clear (as any DTV signal you actually get will be - point is that I can get it) -Same for Channel 2 VHF -signal is poor, but DTV usually good.

Since I wasn't sure what I needed, or if I could even get the stations from my location, I had this professionally installed. Did a good job, but cost an arm and a leg. My homeowners insurance picked up a small part of the tab. I would not recommend the folks who did my work. Call your homeowners insurance rep and have them give you the names of the people they recommend for antenna repair after windstorms and get estimates. Be sure to check prices on the 'net before calling - I paid $180 for rotor - $90 from Stark electronics.

Hope this helps.

John

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi HTbuph,

If you are going to buy online, try consumerdirect

They sell the CM4248 for only $30 and the CM9521 remote controlled rotor for only $65... much better pricing than stark. I think they have a return policy also for antenna also but it's best to check with them.

I have the said antenna and rotor plus a Winegard AP-4800 preamp. DC and Balto come in strong. I had Fairfax Antenna install the antenna items I bought online.

For more antenna info, please go here .

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hello HT,

I recently got the 6000 with the OTA module and i bought the radio shack double bow tie uhf antenna that sits on top of the TV (17.99) plus the inline amp for 24.99. I live in the herndon area and i get all the local dc digital channels

4,5,7,9,26 and also channel 13 (the signal strenth ranges from 68-87 on the meter)from Baltimore and a channel 66- although i am not sure where that is from. The great thing about the bow tie is that if it doesnt work you can just return it with no questions asked- certainly worth a try.

Good luck

Ron W

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Teamw-

I am in the Woodbridge area, just south of you by about 8 miles. I have been considering a Winegard CA-9095 or 9085. I think the 9095 must be huge for a UHF. Anyway, I am looking for an installer. I think that Fairfax Antenna (in Springfield) is one of the best known around there. You didn't mention who you could NOT recommend. Did your installer's business start with an "F" ? I am open to your advice on the Winegard and installer. Oh, do you suppose I have a good shot at WETA and CBS ?

[This message has been edited by WOLVERNOLE (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you guys recommend the CM3010 stealth antenna? Does it have the same range, or better, than the CM4248? I ask because it may be more visually acceptable for the home owners association.

------------------

·
Registered
599 Posts
i'm having some poor reception with my 4248.

i might try re-installing the 3010 i have up on my mast this time.

if i do, i'll report on the reception differences.

feel free to email me

[email protected]

------------------

Jaymer...

----------------

AccessDTV (antenna on digital input, Tivo on analog)

HTPC, P3 933 (still having DVD playing probs)

NEC LT150 (awesome)

Homemade Blackout cloth screen (from Joann's Fabrics, $6 per yard)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.