AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my current setup I have a Denon AVR3200, Sony CA70ES 5 disc CD player, and Panasonic A110 DVD player. Before I had the Sony I was using the DVD player for 2 ch listening. I found that using the analog outputs sounded much better then the digital outputs for music. For movies, the digital is fine. When I bought the Sony, the salesrep recommended only using the Analog out's for they sounded better then the digital outs. Since my receiver only has 1 digital input that was my plans anyway. Well that Sony sounds AWESOME!!

Now that I am researching pre/pro's, I am trying to figure out some things. The used market is currenlty flooded with used DC-2's and MC-1's. Not trying to start a war here but I am leary of the lexicon's 2 ch. abilty. So it was suggested I get a seperate Stereo Pre-amp like a Bryston BP25 or Adcom GTP750. I do not having a problem with this but these pre-Amps' are analog only. I want to get a nice CD player/transport also and all I read about is using the digital outputs.

So do I scrap the idea of the Lexicon all together and go with a better pre/pro (but other parts of my upgrade will suffer) or stay with my idea and possibly add an external DAC later? My head is spinning right now!!!

Mike

·
Registered
321 Posts
This isn't a categorical "answer", which you need to decide for yourself, but the choices boil down to 1) using the CD player's DACs and analog outputs (because they are better than DACs available downstream) or 2) using the CD player's digital outs to feed a downstream component's DACs (because they are better than the CD player's). If the pre/pro has DACs which are inferior to the CD player's, then you either use the CD player's analog outs (point "1" above) or buy something else with superior DACs -- an external DAC unit to use with your pre/pro (whether it is the existing one or an new one that isn't an upgrade in the DAC department), or a new pre/pro with significantly better DACs than the one it is replacing.

I used the DACs from my CD and DVD players when my "pre/pro" was the front end of a Yamaha DSP-A3090. Both players had DACs that produced more satisfying sound than the DACs in the Yammie. I seriously considered adding on any of a number of external DACs which other HT hobbiests recommended as further enhancements to their recent pre/pro upgrades, but ultimately went with a new pre/pro that has DACs superior to those in the CD and DVD players, and better than many external add-on DAC units (at least those within a price range I could afford -

Good luck!

Burke

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Must be in the name! :) (My last name is Burke)...This makes A LOT of sense..I appreciate the answer!....So in brief when using the analog outputs..the receiver or pre/pro converts it to a digital signal. When using the Digital outputs of the CD player..you are asking the CD player to do the conversion for you. Did I get that right?

Mike

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:
So in brief when using the analog outputs..the receiver or pre/pro converts it to a digital signal. When using the Digital outputs of the CD player..you are asking the CD player to do the conversion for you. Did I get that right?
Not quite. The signal is digital on the disk so the question is where (and how many times) it gets converted to analog. There are several possible configurations. Here are a few.....

1. The CD player converts it to analog. Then it goes through an analog preamp and amplifier chain to the speakers.

2. The player leaves it digital and sends it to an external DAC. The DAC converts it to analog and it stays analog all the way through the preamp and amp.

3. The player leaves it digital and sends it to the digital input of a preamp. The preamp converts it to analog and it stays analog all the way to the speakers.

4. The player converts it to analog. It goes in the analog input of the preamp, is converted back to digital, and then converted AGAIN to analog.

There are other possible combinations but you get the idea. Of the choices above, #4 is the least desirable because you are converting the signal multiple times. Which will sound best among 1, 2 and 3 depends on which component - CD player, external DAC, or preamp - does the best job of converting digital to analog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.