AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a manual Da-lite screen that I adjust according to the aspect ratio of the movie that I am watching. I would like to get rid of the light over-spill below my screen. I want to do it by painting my wall with a color that will absorb the light.

What paints have you been using? Does it HAVE to be black?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I think it's a violation of the laws of nature for a paint to actually absorb all light--even the flatest black paints I have tried reflected a fair amount of light.

I would suggest you do what the screen manufacturers do: use a black velvet fabric (or if you can find Velux, which Stewart uses, go with that...it's like a black hole...I don't know where to source it though or if it is commercially available). Caveat emptor, though...not all black velvet is created equal...some have a bad sheen to them. I bought mine at Joanne's fabric and it was $25/yd without any discount...it eats up light very well, but not nearly as good as Stewart's Velux. A simple test is to buy a few swatches, take them home and shine a flashlight on them in a perfectly dark room...you'll see very quickly which material absorbs the most light. In my testing, even the worst velvet did a better job than the flatest black paint. The difference between the best velvet and the best black paint was nigth and day.

As an aside, are you asking about creating adjustable masks? Your post says you "adjust (the screen) according to the aspect ratio of the movie"--what is the aspect ratio of your screen? If you have a fixed 1.78 screen and you frame the border of the screen with 3-6" of Velux/velvet, you will indeed kill any light spill *around* the screen, but you will *not* kill the light spill from any black bars on material that is scoped wider than 1.78 (e.g., watching a 2.35 movie in this scenario will do nothing to mask any unwanted light in the "black" bars above and below the image). If you want to build adjustable masks for the screen, people on the forum have done it...just want to make sure you're getting the answers you want! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alex -

Thanks very much for the prompt and informative response. I was afraid that paint may not solve my problem. I was asking more from my wife's perspective than mine. I may have to convince her that velvet is the way to go. It helps that Dennis Hopper is one of her favorite actors and that he has a certain taste for blue velvet...

My screen is a pull-down 4:3, six feet high and eight feet wide. The projected image will be masked at the top by some sort of pull-down shade or curtain. Underneath, I was hoping for a non-mechanical solution, i.e. the dark paint, but it looks like I may have to reconsider my options.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.