AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i finally made the jump from a 34" XBR 960(the 200lb beast of a crt i bought in 05') to a Panasonic 42" U1. (BestBuy was out of stock of the S1's)

But my LR this 42" is a bit too small for my LR as we watch our set some 10-12 feet away.

So being our budget is about $1200-$1300 max, i cannot go up to the G series(and i believe BestBuy online does not sell these in 50" anyway) even if so.

Both the S1 and U1 are selling for $1200 at Bestbuy and Bestbuy online, but only the U1 is available in my area.

I did see that on Panasonic's site the S1 has someting called Neo-Plasma as well as 1080 lines of moving resolution compared to 900+ on the U series.

But is this just a marketing number and no more?

One more thing the S series has added more gray shades as well.

If i go with the S series i will need to order it via Bestbuy online, which i'm hoping is not a problem after returning this 42" set and putting it towards the 50" S1.

Does anyone here know if you return a set, can you then order another one online using the cost of the returned set?

Anyway, which set should i choose the U1 or S1?

Even if the G series is in stock(BB online), i'm thinking it's at least $200+ higher, and would be pushing it for us budget wise.

If we had the $$, i would be picking the Kuro, but we simply cannot go that high..lol

One more thing, as much as i like this 42" U1, the 34" XBR960 is still better for gaming(no lag) and it has better detail(ie..live feeds of Sportscenter HD) especially face wise.

TIA so much guys, as i just want to not get scre*ed here, as this will be our big HDTV for 2-3 years.

Phil

·
Registered
138 Posts
The S1 has better specs and an anti-reflective (AR) filter. It also consumes a bit more power.

Since MSRP is $200 higher on the S1, you're getting a better deal on the S1 if it's the same price as the U1.

Go with the S1.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Best Buy has the 54S1 in their ad this week so they should be in stock. I know it's more than your budget (see online ad for price) but at your distance you would really appreciate the additional screen size vs. the 50". I bought one this week and they took an additional amount off the sale price. Maybe you could go in there and explain to them your situation to see if they can get close on the price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.