AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I am finally about to purchase my first panel and would appreciate advice and guidance based on the considerable expertise and experiences of the members of this forum.

Here are my considerations:

. I am located in Jamaica. I will take possession of the panel at a friend's home in Florida and then ship it myself to Jamaica. Consequently, I want to make sure the panel works in Florida prior to shipping to jamaica.

. The primary purpose is to watch fast moving sport, particularly soccer; Movies come next and then my daughters will also want to use their Wii.

. There are no over the air sources available in Jamaica hence one reason to purchase the pro model.

. My primary source video source will be FTA satellite. Analogue Cable TV will be the secondary video source and then Bue Ray/DVD's.

. Most video sources will be 480i but there will be some HD programming (720p and 1080p).

. My budget is US$1,500 including shipping

. The panel will be located in an open room with a lot of natural light;

. My normal viewing distance will be 10-12 feet but other persons in the room will be closer particularly those not directly in front of the monitor

. As a result of the satellite tv sources I require a panel that can decode PAL and NTSC video sources.

Based on my research I have identified the following monitors

Panasonic TH-50PD12UK

Panasonic TH-42PD12UK

As I was about to "pull the trigger" I learned from another thread that these panels do not have the flexibility of changeing the video inputs like the other pro models. Am I correct.

Are there any other panels I should consider? All responses will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Allan

·
Registered
802 Posts
At a 12 foot viewing distance, you will want the 50". I own both units and they are excellent.

480i, bumped up to 480p, looks a little better on the 42". But not much,

You can change inputs from the remote. There are two hdmi inputs plus one component.

You do understand that they have no tuner and no internal speakers, right?

Terminals for your outboard speakers, though.

And you will need the optional stand, unless you intend to wall mount.

At 720p, blu-ray discs look great.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
30,169 Posts

Quote:
You can change inputs from the remote.

he is talking about swapping input boards, which the PD models cannot do

Quote:
There are two hdmi inputs plus one component.

again, he is looking at the PD models which are fixed-input and do not have HDMI

basically, the PD model is fine as long as you are good with not having HDMI. It's probably worth spending a bit extra for the PH12U but only if HDMI is a priority.... the PD model is best with a receiver that can switch component video otherwise you are very limited in what HD sources you can connect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/18281030

he is talking about swapping input boards, which the PD models cannot do

again, he is looking at the PD models which are fixed-input and do not have HDMI

basically, the PD model is fine as long as you are good with not having HDMI. It's probably worth spending a bit extra for the PH12U but only if HDMI is a priority.... the PD model is best with a receiver that can switch component video otherwise you are very limited in what HD sources you can connect.

Hi:

Thank you for your clarification. I understand the panels dont have a tuner which I dont need since no OTA here in Jamaica. I will be using a "free to air" satellite receiver as my main video source.

What are the advantages of HDMI compared with component?

Allan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRinDenver /forum/post/18280963

At a 12 foot viewing distance, you will want the 50". I own both units and they are excellent.

480i, bumped up to 480p, looks a little better on the 42". But not much,

You can change inputs from the remote. There are two hdmi inputs plus one component.

You do understand that they have no tuner and no internal speakers, right?

Terminals for your outboard speakers, though.

And you will need the optional stand, unless you intend to wall mount.

At 720p, blu-ray discs look great.

Good Luck!

Thank you for your response. I will take your advice and get the 50 inch.

·
Registered
30,169 Posts

Quote:
What are the advantages of HDMI compared with component?

for a 768p panel, not a huge amount. The primary advantage of HDMI is being able to input a digital 1080p signal from Blu-Rays, whereas on the component inputs you are limited to 720p/1080i analog. The PH12U and PD12UK panel aren't 1080p resolution though so you don't really gain anything with HDMI vs component for other sources (e.g. a satellite TV feed). Picture quality should be the same as they use the same panel.

The bigger advantage though is the number of inputs. The PD12U model (as mentioned above) has fixed terminals, you are stuck with one composite video input, one S-video input, and one component video input. There is also a VGA input which can be reconfigured for component video (using a cable like this ).

So, with the PD model you have a maximum of two HD-capable inputs. With the PH model, not only can you swap input boards, it comes standard with a dual-HDMI board in addition to component and VGA, so out of the box you can connect 4 HD sources (two HDMI, two component) and you can add another board for even more.

PD12UK = one component, one VGA, one S-video, one composite (fixed inputs)

PH12U = two HDMI, one component, one VGA (swappable input boards with one slot free) but no SD inputs

If you will only ever have 1-2 HD sources, and/or you have a receiver that can switch component video, it is not as much of a concern. Basically, it just depends on how much input flexibility you need long-term; if one or two HD inputs is all you will ever need, I would save the cash and get the PD model. But if you eventually will add, say, a PS3 and/or Blu-ray player, it might be worth having the HDMI inputs and added flexibility of the PH model.

Note however that the PH model does NOT have any standard-def inputs! (composite or S-video) only HDMI and component... so if you will be hooking up older sources without component video capability, you would need to buy an extra board (or have a receiver that can convert to component video) so that may be a deciding factor if your budget is limited.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts