AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe I can get them for around the same price. I have around 15' from wall to wall. My current set is a (sob) 48" 4:3 10yr old Sony SD RPTV.

The wife wants the "better quality" smaller set, but I'm not sure the "quality difference" will really trump the 58" vs 50".

Anyone else have to make this decision? Thanks!

Edit:

I guess I should also mention that I have two young children, who will undoubtedly destroy whatever set we get, and will be watching many hours of Sprout a week.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_87 /forum/post/18178207

I'll take quality over size. There's always the 54G25 that will probably get cheaper with time.

Been waiting to go to HD since 2003
. Unless you're talking in the next month (which you're not) I don't think the 54G25's will even start with the same number. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bigger is better, plus each is a huge jump compared to what you have.

I know you are torn between getting a smaller set with better image quality but the 58S1 still has amazing picture quality and the best part is you will be able to see more of that detail from further away due to its increased size.

Also what will your HD inputs be (cable, blu-ray, ect) and what will you use the tv for? A better input will make more of a difference then the different technology in the screens.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sap /forum/post/18179296

Bigger is better, plus each is a huge jump compared to what you have.

I know you are torn between getting a smaller set with better image quality but the 58S1 still has amazing picture quality and the best part is you will be able to see more of that detail from further away due to its increased size.

Also what will your HD inputs be (cable, blu-ray, ect) and what will you use the tv for? A better input will make more of a difference then the different technology in the screens.

I have Verizon FIOS, and an HTPC, which I'm going to do some upgrading upon.

It sounds like the G-series uses the same panels as the S-series? The G-series is just loaded with a bunch of features (Internet, THX mode) that I'll probably rarely if ever use?

·
Registered
803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarius /forum/post/18180280

I have Verizon FIOS, and an HTPC, which I'm going to do some upgrading upon.

It sounds like the G-series uses the same panels as the S-series? The G-series is just loaded with a bunch of features (Internet, THX mode) that I'll probably rarely if ever use?

The G10/15 is basically a S1 with THX. The 2010 G20/25 are completely different beasts though. Much improved black level and anti-glare filter.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_87 /forum/post/18180366

The G10/15 is basically a S1 with THX. The 2010 G20/25 are completely different beasts though. Much improved black level and anti-glare filter.

It's never easy is it..

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarius /forum/post/18178156

Believe I can get them for around the same price. I have around 15' from wall to wall. My current set is a (sob) 48" 4:3 10yr old Sony SD RPTV.

The wife wants the "better quality" smaller set, but I'm not sure the "quality difference" will really trump the 58" vs 50".

Anyone else have to make this decision? Thanks!

Edit:

I guess I should also mention that I have two young children, who will undoubtedly destroy whatever set we get, and will be watching many hours of Sprout a week.

Same boat as you, going from an RPTV and considering the 58S1. I think the S1 has pretty amazing picture quality even compared to other sets smaller than it and I would be hard pressed to say one is "much better" than the other - especially at that viewing distance. I think you will really love the 58S1.

FWIW I *still* get comments on the picture quality on my tv. Even though occasionally its "I didnt know they still made those"
I love my set and have gotten a great @ 9 years out of it. I havent had to repair it once and I get in and calibrated it @ once every few months.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like I might be able to throw the new 60" LGs in the mix for a few $100 more... Need to see some reviews first.. but I definitely like the profile better.

·
Banned
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarius /forum/post/18181501

Looks like I might be able to throw the new 60" LGs in the mix for a few $100 more... Need to see some reviews first.. but I definitely like the profile better.

LG 60PS60 is a cheaper and good set of plasma, high rating reviews http://www.amazon.com/LG-60PS60-60-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B0021QNQ9I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266854750&sr=1-4

play around with the menu configuration to bring out more of the PQ. Good SQ too i can say.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts