AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure which to get. i can get either 1 brand new stright from panasonic.

TH-50PX500U - [MSRP ONLY] shipped

TH-65XVS30U - [MSRP ONLY] shipped

i have the room for the 65" but just wondering what you all think. im gonna be sitting about 13-14 foot away, so maybe i should go with the bigger 1. thanks

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,847 Posts
I went for the 65 and love it.

-- Rich

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Nine grand is like a nice used car, and personnally for that kind of cash I am expecting 1920 x 1080. The current models arent even close to this.

So to answer your question I'd get the 50" (same pixel dimensions though) and wait for the pixel density to increase on the 65"

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger_2
if you had $9000 what would you buy?
I'd buy a boat... oops forget that, the one I want goes for more than $90,000. :rolleyes:

Why not look at the top-of-the-line Fujitsu, Hitachi or Pioneer to name three?

Not that there is anything wrong with a Panasonic... but they are geared toward those of us who have a "Champaign taste on a beer budget!"

I've never seen a 65" panel but my main concern would be the resolution it delivers given its 1366 x 768 (1.05 x 1.05 pixel pitch) spec.

The shipped price for the 50PX500U is an excellent deal... but it's optimal viewing distance is about 10' - 12'

decisions... decisions...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes there are decisions decisions. i work at ups so that helps get the good deal. i am tending towards the 50" but damn that 65" would be sweet

·
Registered
414 Posts
A motorcyclist would tell you there is no replacement for displacement, larger engine sizes help. If you have the space and locate yourself at the right distance I would venture the same rule applies to plasma. At 14 feet the 65 is a no brainer. The 65 Panny is perhaps one of the best viewing experiences available for the price, go with a commercial 7UY version. Dont get caught up in SDE and pixel counts, see it for yourself, sure at 6 feet you have some resolution issues but back up from there and it gets much better to the point of being best in class certainly at 14 feet. You want it now buy it now, I am sure 1920 x1080 will hit the big Panny 65 first and likely sometime in late '06 but then hey you can sell your year old model and upgrade.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
If 720p is good enough for people with 130" screens, I think it is good enough for a 65" screen.

Just curious, is the TH-65XVS30U a 8th generation plasma or a 7th generation plasma?

IB

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger_2
why edit my post. with msrp. that is a sepcial price not for anyone but ups employees.
Heh, is that a special deal they have with Panasonic to make sure that no plasmas get dropped? ;)

To answer your question, because this forum is run by middlemen who have a vested interest in making money off of the hard work of manufacturers and gullible consumers.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
I agree with Trunorth. Having evaluated both the 50 and 65" Panny models, if I had the space/money the 65" is a no-brainer. It provides a level of cinematic immersion that the 50" just can't touch. Especially if you are going to be sitting around 14 feet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.