AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me decide what to do in the situation below.

Option 1. buy Pioneer Elite VSX-21 at BestBuy for MSRP $700 ($700 + 10% tax - 10% discount) with 2 years warranty.
Option 2. buy Pioneer VSX-9040 at Amazon with 1 year warranty (possibly add the 3 years warranty from SquareTrade) = saving about $150 difference from buying at BestBuy.
Option 3. buy Pioneer Elite VSX-21 from the internet + shipping (not sure if I can get the 2 years warranty or not) = maybe a saving about $100 difference from buying at BestBuy.

What do you experts think I should do? I read that the Elite VSX-21 is identical to the Canadian version of VSX-9040 besides the front plate and the warranty. However, some claimed that the build quality is higher with the Elite name hence for the extra 1 year warranty.

Any input or advice would be helpful in making my decision.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl /forum/post/18136562

Please help me decide what to do in the situation below.

Option 1. buy Pioneer Elite VSX-21 at BestBuy for MSRP $700 ($700 + 10% tax - 10% discount) with 2 years warranty.
Option 2. buy Pioneer VSX-9040 at Amazon with 1 year warranty (possibly add the 3 years warranty from SquareTrade) = saving about $150 difference from buying at BestBuy.
Option 3. buy Pioneer Elite VSX-21 from the internet + shipping (not sure if I can get the 2 years warranty or not) = maybe a saving about $100 difference from buying at BestBuy.

What do you experts think I should do? I read that the Elite VSX-21 is identical to the Canadian version of VSX-9040 besides the front plate and the warranty. However, some claimed that the build quality is higher with the Elite name hence for the extra 1 year warranty.

Any input or advice would be helpful in making my decision.

I can't be of much help except to tell you that Pioneer explicity states on its web site that the Pioneer warranty on Elite receivers will not be honored for any internet purchases. You must purchase the receiver in person from an authorized dealer in order to get the warranty. I have read that some people try to get around this by purchasing the receiver over the phone and getting a store receipt sent to them. I don't know if that works or not. I also know many people here nevertheless buy over the net and don't care that they don't have the Pioneer waranty because they get a warranty from the seller. Personally, I feel better buying from an authorized dealer and getting the manufactuer's warranty (I bought mine at Best Buy). But that is just me. I hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi,

if you are not concerned with the "Elite" faceplate and aren't hung up on getting a few more dollars on resale if you upgrade, I'd say go with the Amazon purchase - that's what I did. Amazon is an authorized reseller and I bought it with a credit card that doubles the warranty. When I called my local BB the 21 Elite was over $100 more. A no-brainer for me. I can understand those who do upgrade regularly but I am not one of those guys. (can't afford it) So I try to do tons of research and for the most part have been very satisfied with my purchases.

If you look at the 21/23 user manuals the 9040/9140 are listed on the cover. Same unit except for the faceplate.

I have had the 9040thx for 6 weeks and am still learning and tweaking. Much more avr than I need but I wanted very good quality and build. Very happy so far.

Vito

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.