AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
of these 5 connection choices which would most likely offer the best result? options 2-5 assumes the dac does not have a usb input.

1. pc usb > dac usb
2. pc usb > usb to spdif converter > dac (toslink)
3. pc usb > usb to spdif converter > dac (coax)
4. pc hdmi > hdmi audio extractor > dac (toslink)
5. pc hdmi > hdmi audio extractor > dac (coax)

also, i've read noisy pc environments can be a challenge when it comes to delivering pc audio to an external source - does the same apply to tablet's, or are tablets less susceptible? thanks.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
of these 5 connection choices which would most likely offer the best result? options 2-5 assumes the dac does not have a usb input.

1. pc usb > dac usb

also, i've read noisy pc environments can be a challenge when it comes to delivering pc audio to an external source - does the same apply to tablet's, or are tablets less susceptible? thanks.
USB to USB is your best bet as it doesn't rely upon video signal and have jitter issues (HDMI) and has a lot of bandwidth. You can purchase a usb noise cleaner if you want for under $60 though it is generally not necessary. None of the DACs that I know of (outside of receivers/preamp/processors) can accept HDMI input.

·
Registered
482 Posts

1. pc usb > dac usb

If your run is short, any of them will do, though (1) reduces component count. Most desktop PCs have onboard spdf, usually as coax. If you have that, it will be your least expensive and most reliable option for longer runs.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
USB to USB is your best bet as it doesn't rely upon video signal and have jitter issues (HDMI) and has a lot of bandwidth. You can purchase a usb noise cleaner if you want for under $60 though it is generally not necessary. None of the DACs that I know of (outside of receivers/preamp/processors) can accept HDMI input.
i didn't realize hdmi had jitter issues, thought i read it was one of the best audio transfer options... that's why i listed it above, albeit using an hdmi extractor which pulls the audio signal from the hdmi and sends it to the dac via coax or toslink. anyway i think i'm going to go with a usb to spdif converter (my dac doesn't have usb input)... re a dac that accepts hdmi, i came across this guy for $700 that uses the sabre 9012 dac :

http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/product/hdacc/

koturban said:
If your run is short, any of them will do, though (1) reduces component count. Most desktop PCs have onboard spdf, usually as coax. If you have that, it will be your least expensive and most reliable option for longer runs.
what do you consider a short run? unfortunately my source doesn't have spdif out, and my dac doesn't have usb in. anyway thanks very much four your help guys.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Well, HDMI has jitter issues. But it's not like they're audible because the jittery bits get stuffed in a buffer before being played out. It's not a big buffer, but large enough that it's all compensated for. Really just a few samples long.

The other transfer mechanisms also do the same - jitter is a non issue as it's all stuffed in a small FIFO buffer and clocked out at the DAC frequency. (And in reality, even without the buffer, the jitter noise is down around -120 dB or so).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts