AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These bottom 2 are supernatural in HD: One on the lcd and one on the new 30" LG HDTV

Gateway FPD2185W LCD HDTV

LG CRT HDTV

I have 2 pictures taken from 2 different TVs. I would like to know which one you believe has better the better picture quality! They both have bars on top and the sides if you wondering what those blueish gray things are in the pictures.Hope the pictures aregood enough! Bothwere taken with thesame camera andthe same lighting conditions and with the same source! Thanks yall

New images added. These were done on UHD channel and the broadcast is in hd as there was no bars on the hd screen in any mode be it normal mode or stretched etc... The bars you see for one fo the pics is the sd tv one on the one without bars is the gateway lcd. My room is a mess from having to replug the wires back in etc... They are tightly in and also I am now using a high end component wire instead of the one that came with the hd dvr! I hope this helps shine some light a little more.

Now in the HD screen the text does look sharper than the jvc 20" sd tv. However the colors are much more real. The light on the left side for ex. is redish orange on the sd tv and a fady yellowish while on the hd screen. Once again though text look better on the hd screen. Both screens checked out at its best optimal colaborations. If you focus your eyes enough on the detail fo the black, you will see one is slightly blury but solid and the other is blury, grainy, and box liked shaped. I hope these pics were good enough. Thanks!

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
while i wish i currently had a better cam to take the pics with, they both were treated the same this way we can compare the two as best we can even though the camera sucks. Guess its time for a better camera

· Registered
2,700 Posts
Both images could be from the same tv. The top image could easily just have scan velocity modulation and sharpness all the way up, while the other could have both turned off.

Regardless, you need a better camera.

· Registered
836 Posts
No, the blacks and colors are much better in the top shot.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc /forum/post/0

Both images could be from the same tv. The top image could easily just have scan velocity modulation and sharpness all the way up, while the other could have both turned off.

Regardless, you need a better camera.

i promise you this was taken form 2 different TVs and both had been collaberated to the best of its ability! THIS IS NOT A TRICK QUESTION! Nor am I trying to trick anyone in ANY way. Same camera, source, cables, scene, lighting etc.... Also why the camera may be crappythey are more than enough to tell the difference in both pictures. Especially since both tvs were treated in the same exact way.

· Registered
698 Posts
the top is a CRT and the bottom is a LCD or Plasma maybe a rear projection CRT or other type of RPTV

the bottom looks like it is croped and missing some of the sides more the right than the left either that or it is because it is on a widescreen TV and in the picture the sides are just missing the words TEXT on the screen is in the same place but it looks more wider and like straighter ish

I would have to say it looks like the topis a CRT SDTV and the bottom is some newer HDTV playing SD content and it could be the top is extra sharp and the bottom is sorta blured

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
one is an SD CRT and the other is an HDTV LCD. However they both are HD Content! One playing HD picture on an sd screen and one on an HD screen! The picture looks like it was zoomed in the bottom one cause i need to come closer to get a BETTER picture. From too far it would be a little blurry! So zooming in was the best picture I can get. Its kwl how you knew one was an lcd and the other was an sd crt!

· Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrulez /forum/post/0

........... However they both are HD Content! One playing HD picture on an sd screen and one on an HD screen!......

AFAIK, HD content cannot actually be viewed on a sd screen. When HD content, in the form of a DT channel for example, is applied to an SD set, it must be downconverted for display. Either prior to input or via a scaler in the set. It would no longer be HD at that point.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats nice to know but they both are from "HD Sources". One is down regulated to SD and one is in Actual HD! Now wouldnt that mean that the HD set with the HD picture have better picture quality then the one that was down regulated to SD?

· Registered
21 Posts
my opinion.........something isn't right there. that text on the HD screen should be CRYSTAL CLEAR if it was coming from an HD broadcast or HD source.

are you sure the signal that was coming in to the lcd was HD? cuz i could see the lcd set looking worse with a SD signal, but not the other way around.

and like the poster above said, i don't believe that an SD tv can ever pick up an HD signal.

my 2 cents.

· Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:

.......They both have bars on top and the sides if you wondering what those blueish gray things are in the pictures.........
Quote:

....... Now wouldnt that mean that the HD set with the HD picture have better picture quality then the one that was down regulated to SD?.........

The first statement leads me to believe the content is not real HD but SD upconverted to HD format. This would certainly have an impact on how good it looks on an HD display. I tend to believe that this comparison is biased toward proving the point that the sd crt looks better than the lcd hd. What was the source and how was it connected to the two sets?

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd424 /forum/post/0

my opinion.........something isn't right there. that text on the HD screen should be CRYSTAL CLEAR if it was coming from an HD broadcast or HD source.

are you sure the signal that was coming in to the lcd was HD? cuz i could see the lcd set looking worse with a SD signal, but not the other way around.

and like the poster above said, i don't believe that an SD tv can ever pick up an HD signal.

my 2 cents.

ofcourse something isnt right. I dont lieso either accept the truthor dont. SDTVs dont play HD content? Well they do cause the show there is in HDand it was visable to watch on my sd tv. Maybe it downconverted it or what ever itdoes but it played on the tv. Yes the LCD IS HDTV and its 1080i and 720p. Its an HD video cause it was an HD broadcast which I usually watch. I will bet thehouse on it. The video shown was in HD and the lcd IS HD. Nothing fishy here. Take it for what it worth. I AM TRYING TO MAKE A TRUE COMPARISON HERE SO WHY WOULD I CHOSE ANYTHING DIFFERENT?

They both were taken with the same camera as well so no matter what cam you use its still going to show the top picture as being better! The reason why I took those pictures was to prove how bad lcds can be and how bad mine is. I wasnt trying to favor one over the other in ANY which way. I treated them as best I can and as equaly as can be. Which is why i took the pics and showed them here. To have you judge for yourself. The LCD I am using is gateway FPD2185W. If you think the representation of colors and such are bad, just wait until I get a video camera to show you the video on this. DVDs are good on the SD TV but OK on the hdtv. Gaming on this LCD makes games look shimmery along with videos. I took my viewsonic which is extremely used and it still plays fear better than this LCD.

Someone here pointed out that he had this same LCD and called me on the subject that I was some kind of liar and didnt know what i was talking about. While I dont know much about video, I have a good eye for these things. I can point out dead pixels/stuck pixels from a mile away along with anyother flaws. I may not know what these flaws are called and I suck at explaining it but I know what I see and itaint pretty! So what i did was try and prove of what I was talking about. The grainy look of images and such on the screen,the lack of color depth in the videos. You think thats bad, when I watch some content on this LCD,I get rainbow like effect with people in motion on some of the shows I watch on it (IN HD).

I just wanted all of you to be the judge as well. I really dislike it when I get reviews that specify how great things are when in fact they arent. So what I did wasgive a review of my own. We all havedifferent taste, I get that. One persons like is another dislike. However the facts are shown here, true as they may be. While im new here anddont havemuch basis, I do intendon becoming a constant around these forums fora while. Im not here to cause any issues orto post things of lies and leavenever to be seen again. Take my words (and images) for what they are and for whats its worth.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii /forum/post/0

The first statement leads me to believe the content is not real HD but SD upconverted to HD format. This would certainly have an impact on how good it looks on an HD display. I tend to believe that this comparison is biased toward proving the point that the sd crt looks better than the lcd hd. What was the source and how was it connected to the two sets?

hd dvr cable box connected via component to the hdtv and RCA cable to the sd tv. It was an hd broadcast which I get bars on the top of the sd tv cause thats just what it does on HD signals on the sd tv. The same with the HDTV cause it has to be changed in theoptions to stretch it out, fit to screen etc..... But the content is HD, I promise you that. While I am biased, that doesnt change the fact that one picture is better than the other. What else do I need to do!

· Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:

..........SDTVs dont play HD content? Well they do cause the show there is in HDand it was visable to watch on my sd tv. Maybe it downconverted it or what ever it does but it played on the tv. Yes the LCD IS HDTV and its 1080i and 720p. Its an HD video cause it was an HD broadcast which I usually watch. I will bet thehouse on it. The video shown was in HD and the lcd IS HD. Nothing fishy here. Take it for what it worth. I AM TRYING TO MAKE A TRUE COMPARISON HERE SO WHY WOULD I CHOSE ANYTHING DIFFERENT?.

Explain this "HD video" you used as a source. How did you record and playback the HD broadcast? An HD DVR, DVHS, DVD recorder, VHS tape? How was this video input to the HD set? RF, composite, s-video, component, DVI, HDMI?

You stated in your first post that both tvs had bars on the top and the sides. If this was the case, then I don't see how the HD set was receiving a true (not upconverted SD) HD source.

Quote:

......... The reason why I took those pictures was to prove how bad lcds can be and how bad mine is. I wasnt trying to favor one over the other in ANY which way. I treated them as best I can and as equaly as can be. Which is why i took the pics and showed them here. To have you judge for yourself. .............

As I said, a biased test.
The comparison is very difficult without a clear understanding of the conditions. You state that you were comparing HD on an HD set to HD on an SD set. I believe you were comparing SD on an HD set to SD on an SD set. Completely different comparison, IMHO.

Quote:

......... While I dont know much about video .............

My concern, and this is not a jab, is that you are confused about what your comparison actually represents.

· Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:

hd dvr cable box connected via component to the hdtv and RCA cable to the sd tv. It was an hd broadcast which I get bars on the top of the sd tv cause thats just what it does on HD signals on the sd tv. The same with the HDTV cause it has to be changed in theoptions to stretch it out, fit to screen etc..... But the content is HD, I promise you that. While I am biased, that doesnt change the fact that one picture is better than the other. What else do I need to do!

Sorry, it looks like we posted at the time.
Except for a few exceptions, if 1080i or 720p video has to be stretched to get rid of horizontal bars and vertical pillars on a 16:9 screen then it is upconverted SD. Never was and still isn't HD after upconversion. The other possiblility is that your cable stb component output is setup for SD output.

I'm not arguing that the photograph of the HD set looks better. It doesn't. However, I believe your test was flawed.

BTW, which hd dvr are you using?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.